TNG coming to blu-ray

I'd say it was Star Trek - at least to me, but ask what defines ST to fans and you'll get a whole load of different views.

That's a good question. What defines trek for you?

Trek for me is wonder at exploring the unknowns of space, hope for a better future, an idealistic future society, strong moral and ethical foundations, lots of thinking and problem solving.

Trek for me is wonder at exploring the unknowns of space, hope for a better future, an idealistic future society, strong moral and ethical foundations, lots of thinking and problem solving.

Ah, I see why you didn't like the reboot - it was a bit too dark then!

Have to say, whilst pure ST may well reflect what you said, I quite liked the grittier feeling from the reboot.

I like them both really and the advantage of the reboot is that it separates itself from the original cannon very well and leaves enough space (pardon the pun) for them both to exist quite happily.

Yes, and it was only done when it was determined that there was no other choice.

Great sci-fi stories are linked DIRECTLY with great leaders. I can't think of a single great sci-fi story that had a poorly written leader. But pretty much every great sci-fi show I can think of has a great leader.

The Next Generation had Jean-Luc Picard
Battlestar Galactica (RDM) had Will Adama
Stargate Atlantis had Elizabeth Weir
Andromeda had Dylan Hunt
Firefly had Malcom Reynolds

What about George Hammond! (Rest in peace Don S Davis)
Or Richard Woolsey! (Cant deny a bit of Robbert Piccardo)

No offence taken, I do think that is complete nonsense though, Try re-phrasing that to "some woman". The same could be said if your inclined to think like that about the male captains sisko, picard and/or if you swing that way and bring in the gorgeous Quark into the equation. :p

I personally like the 3 startreks TNG, DS & Voyager. My personal favourite? Well, it does happen to be voyager not because of the gender of the captain, mainly because we see more of the federations arch enemy the borg and the fact they introduced species 8472 into the mix showing that the borg weren't as invincible as they thought they were.

The 3 ST in my books all had their story to tell which made them in my mind just as uniquely good as one another.

I agree with you, I thought Voyager was a great series because of the constant skirmishes with the Borg and then 8472 kicking some serious ass.

I would love to see a TV series based on the Borg invasion of 2381 where it isn't all starfleet heroics and the such, starfleet end up getting their asses seriously kicked and being backed into a corner and the stuggles they face considering using outlawed technologies to survive...

Alas I doubt they would ever make such a series :(

I would love to see a TV series based on the Borg invasion of 2381 where it isn't all starfleet heroics and the such, starfleet end up getting their asses seriously kicked and being backed into a corner and the stuggles they face considering using outlawed technologies to survive...

Alas I doubt they would ever make such a series :(
Well, given that it features characters from all ST series (bar TOS), I doubt it, they'd never get all the actors back & it would be cost probitative.

Although reading through that site you link to - it would be one helluva series.

That is more of the thinking that defined TNG and its successors. Roddenberry's original view of ST was, as he described it, a western in space.

That is more of the thinking that defined TNG and its successors. Roddenberry's original view of ST was, as he described it, a western in space.

That's good. Now go deeper. What kind of content did Roddenberry use? What moral and social issues did he address in TOS?

I grew up on Star Trek: The Next Generation. I used to love reading books so Levar Burton was already my hero cause of Reading Rainbow series and since he was a brotha with futuristic glasses he was my role model.

I used to get mad at how mean Captain Picard was but as I grew older I understood where he was coming from.

Number one, I mean Lt Riker was one of my fav characters. My mom's nickname for me is Number one since I'm her firstborn. She got that from Star Trek.

Warf ugly as hell.

I used to think Deanna Troi was sexy.

I always thought Wesley needed more screen time.

IMO Captain Picard and Beverly Crusher should've had a lot of sex scenes to spicen up the show.

Q's pranks were fun.

Data's brother is creepy as hell.

That's all my random TNG thoughts for now, back to work.

I grew up with ST: TOS later i watched TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise. Loved them all but Enterprise was not what it could be missed a few elements in the serie.

I would make 2 new series the first where the federation has time travel and explore space and time, this would also allow to go to where TNG went with the observer M33 (not that place where you have problems w ith your mind). Also you then can visit borg and observe how they came to be etc etc etc. The other serie deep space exploration there where vessels in the federation build for pure exploration that could be away for years.

I grew up with ST: TOS later i watched TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise. Loved them all but Enterprise was not what it could be missed a few elements in the serie.

I would make 2 new series the first where the federation has time travel and explore space and time, this would also allow to go to where TNG went with the observer M33 (not that place where you have problems w ith your mind). Also you then can visit borg and observe how they came to be etc etc etc. The other serie deep space exploration there where vessels in the federation build for pure exploration that could be away for years.

TOS was before my time, I grew up with TNG, DS9 Voyager and Enterprise.

The problem with the series is it is just too huge.

As a said above, would love to see a TV series or movie based on the Borg invasion of 2381

But when it comes to it, I LOVE the dark alternate episodes, like the alternate enterprise, the episode where voyager is a warship etc.

Though I have some serious pet peeves with each series.

TNG - The end episode was so.. unfinal.... it left so many things unanswered... so many possibilities. the movies make it worse.. I mean... killing data... wtf is going on there.

DS9 - Was such a mess of storylines and arcs I don't even like discussing it.

Voyager - Had SO much potential to continue. But caused so many paradoxies, loads of questions unanswered. The final episode deals a crippling blow to the borg... yet... apparently not?

Enterprise - Finished way to early as a series end of...

TOS was before my time, I grew up with TNG, DS9 Voyager and Enterprise.

The problem with the series is it is just too huge.

As a said above, would love to see a TV series or movie based on the Borg invasion of 2381

2381 happened in the novels because i never read those, i have no clue where to start reading. I love the Borg and species 8472 so if you can point me in the correct way i would appreciate that.

But when it comes to it, I LOVE the dark alternate episodes, like the alternate enterprise, the episode where voyager is a warship etc.

Alternate episodes are great because you can show what might have happened if they choose something else. But you have three ways the first is misconception episodes like Voyager and where the doctor is in a museum and tells the true story of Voyager. The second is time travel always great fun to use that and in Voyager the made good use of it. The third is alternate universe like mirror mirror and so on DS9 made good use of that.

Though I have some serious pet peeves with each series.

TNG - The end episode was so.. unfinal.... it left so many things unanswered... so many possibilities. the movies make it worse.. I mean... killing data... wtf is going on there.

The end episode of TNG was great Q showed Picard what humans could be when they put their mind to it, it also showed that humans was meant for more. But yes some episodes left a huge untold story and with the final season they should have closed those questions.

DS9 - Was such a mess of storylines and arcs I don't even like discussing it.

It was brave that they made religion part of the story, but the story lines where some what less then expected. With a wormhole right next o you i would have thought more exploration then what they did in all those episodes. Also the war it dragged to long it should have been concluded in one maybe two seasons and then continue normal story lines with the wormhole aliens.

Voyager - Had SO much potential to continue. But caused so many paradoxies, loads of questions unanswered. The final episode deals a crippling blow to the borg... yet... apparently not?

Voyager should have been great the concept was ideal and where they where Borg should have been more in the picture but the where not. It was a missed opportunity that's for sure Borg vs 8472 should have continued longer it could have been more.

Enterprise - Finished way to early as a series end of...

Like i said Enterprise was missing elements, Archer could have been more but it looked like the writers could not be inspired to give him more that in turn diminished how he acted in the series.

There was a very high-level message being conveyed in that episode, that we need to look beyond the mundane and open our minds to unknown possibilities. And it was a continuation of the very first episode where humanity is put on trial, so it was very appropriate. TNG is a very moral and cerebral series, much more than any of the others. It has character and story to it, but you won't thoroughly enjoy the series unless you are open to the lessons it teaches.

I liked all of the TNG movies except for the one you referenced which is Nemesis. That was the only TNG movie with no redeeming moral or sociopolitical message. I suppose it had a message about personal growth, but it was nowhere near the level of substance that you would expect from TNG.

Top Bottom