TNG coming to blu-ray

Come on. Janeway was the best captain, unless you count Sisko (seriously, Captain Hawke?). She was smarter than Kirk, tougher than the metrosexual Picard, and more decisive than Archer.

That said, Sisko in the Defiant was the ultimate Captain Bad-ass.

I thought for a awhile that the Trek reboot should be called Star Trek 2.0 and then each subsequent movie as 2.1, 2.2 and so on.

But that wouldn't actually be right. Star Trek 2.0 is rightly the alternate reality first introduced in ST:OS episode, "Mirror, Mirror". It was revisited extensively in 5 episodes of DS9 across 6 years (223, 319, 420, 608, 712) and then in a two-part episode of Enterprise (418/419).

So this Star Trek universe is really Star Trek 3.0.

To be fair, Picard violated the prime directive a few times. Though it was something her never took lightly. It was always used as a device to spur moral debate.
Yes, and it was only done when it was determined that there was no other choice.

Great sci-fi stories are linked DIRECTLY with great leaders. I can't think of a single great sci-fi story that had a poorly written leader. But pretty much every great sci-fi show I can think of has a great leader.

The Next Generation had Jean-Luc Picard
Battlestar Galactica (RDM) had Will Adama
Stargate Atlantis had Elizabeth Weir
Andromeda had Dylan Hunt
Firefly had Malcom Reynolds

The best Star Trek was this one:
"Operation: Annihilate!": Flying pancake-like blobs attach themselves to victims' flesh and inject a parasitic form of themselves, which compels the host to carry out its wishes.
blob1.jpg

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
The neural parasites were made by covering individual novelty vomits with a clear, inflatable bladder.
Now that's some good TV.

TNG is my favorite Star Trek.

Honestly, I did not like Voyager. It was a good show, but Captain Janeway is by far the worst of all the captains. Its something I noticed, but women who like Star Trek (no offense Shelly), often think that Janeway is the best captain... most likely because she was a woman and they are supporting their sex. =P

No offence taken, I do think that is complete nonsense though, Try re-phrasing that to "some woman". The same could be said if your inclined to think like that about the male captains sisko, picard and/or if you swing that way and bring in the gorgeous Quark into the equation. :P

I personally like the 3 startreks TNG, DS & Voyager. My personal favourite? Well, it does happen to be voyager not because of the gender of the captain, mainly because we see more of the federations arch enemy the borg and the fact they introduced species 8472 into the mix showing that the borg weren't as invincible as they thought they were.

The 3 ST in my books all had their story to tell which made them in my mind just as uniquely good as one another.

Come on. Janeway was the best captain, unless you count Sisko (seriously, Captain Hawke?). She was smarter than Kirk, tougher than the metrosexual Picard, and more decisive than Archer.

That said, Sisko in the Defiant was the ultimate Captain Bad-ass.

I thought for a awhile that the Trek reboot should be called Star Trek 2.0 and then each subsequent movie as 2.1, 2.2 and so on.

But that wouldn't actually be right. Star Trek 2.0 is rightly the alternate reality first introduced in ST:OS episode, "Mirror, Mirror". It was revisited extensively in 5 episodes of DS9 across 6 years (223, 319, 420, 608, 712) and then in a two-part episode of Enterprise (418/419).

So this Star Trek universe is really Star Trek 3.0.

Those episodes visited a parallel universe which is a completely separate universe. ST2009 didn't spawn a new universe per se. Rather the existing universe was modified through time travel.

I have to agree here and say that Voyager was my least favorite Star Trek show.

I found Janeway to be an adequate, but clearly lacking, captain with a distinct lack of charisma. Chakotay was even tempered but never showed the potential that Riker did in command situations and the rest of the crew, while decent on their own, never gelled together in a way that made the series POP.

The premise of the show had great potential too, -- take a cutting edge ship, toss it half way across the galaxy and see the true test of mettle that comes from a crew fighting against all odds to stay alive and explore worlds that have never been seen before. Instead we ended up with a soap opera where everyone is home sick and cranky. The exploration takes a back seat to it all which is a shame.

Interestingly enough, ST: Enterprise launched with a similar idea in mind; albeit in a different era and made the concepts work. A captain with a true passion for exploring the vast reaches of space, a great cast/crew that was interesting and meshed well together, and an environment where allies could not always be trusted and sheer ingenuity had to make up for being out numbered and out gunned.

Yes, ST: Enterprise had some plot lines and Trekkies cry themselves to sleep every night over how it messed with the holy grail of what they considered cannon but it was by far one of the best in the series. Ranking a close # 2 next to TNG itself in my book.

:)

I do love Enterprise and I'm sad that I was cancelled too early. The Temporal Cold War story arc was interesting but with that Xindi-stuff it was totally messed up.
Season 4 was one of the best Star Trek-Seasons ever.

I do love Enterprise and I'm sad that I was cancelled too early. The Temporal Cold War story arc was interesting but with that Xindi-stuff it was totally messed up.
Season 4 was one of the best Star Trek-Seasons ever.

I must confess. I never watched season 4 of Enterprise. My dad, my brother, and I were so disgusted by the end of season 3 that we canceled our weekly Enterprise get-together. Enterprise was the only trek series that was canceled by its network. Its ratings were way down at the end of season 4.

War is not star trek.

And season 4 had nothing to do with the Xindi-war-crap from season 3. It was about exploration, about the Klingons and their foreheads, about the Andorians and there was a great mirror universe episode.

If you get the chance to watch Season 4 - just do it. I could imagine you would like it.

Interesting article. Especially like the fact he lists J. Michael Straczynski as one of his inspirations. One thing I loved about Babylon 5 (written by JMS for those who don't know) was the pre-planned storyline right from the start and story arcs that you can't do going by show to show or season to season. The only duff season was the last and that's because JMS didn't know until right near the end that B5 was going to get renewed for Season 5 so had to tie everything up in the end of S4, just in case.

Only DS9 came close to this in the later seasons and the fact both B5 and DS9 were airing at the same time is too much of a coincidence for me!

The only risk with pre-planned story lines is that the show gets axed and leaves fans in limbo. But a new ST series would be good tbh. I liked Enterprise as well, but the reaction from the fans appear to suggest that they didn't want to go back in time, rather continue on from Voyager times.

.... ST2009 were post-transition, and you saw how awful those were.

Sorry, can't agree with you there, the reboot was fantastic and can't wait for the next in the series of ST films. But I can understand why some fans hated the movie, but for me it was refreshing, well acted and most of all - damn enjoyable.

To be fair, Picard violated the prime directive a few times. Though it was something her never took lightly. It was always used as a device to spur moral debate.

There is also the fair point that she made many times, they were stuck 30,000+ light years from home and it meant they had to bend the rules from time to time, rules that were created with a Federation in mind. The Federation isn't in the Delta Quadrant!

I actually like Voyager. Its a hard choice between TNG & Voyager though, they both have their strong and weak points. Its been that long ago since I've seen DS9, I need to watch it again to decide if its up to TNG & Voyager - I missed out on the whole Dominion war last time, I think I only watched the first 2 or 3 seasons.

The best Star Trek was this one:
"Operation: Annihilate!": Flying pancake-like blobs attach themselves to victims' flesh and inject a parasitic form of themselves, which compels the host to carry out its wishes.
blob1.jpg

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
The neural parasites were made by covering individual novelty vomits with a clear, inflatable bladder.
Now that's some good TV.

lol, what they could get away with in Pre-HD times!

Sorry, can't agree with you there, the reboot was fantastic and can't wait for the next in the series of ST films. But I can understand why some fans hated the movie, but for me it was refreshing, well acted and most of all - damn enjoyable.

Let me restate my position. ST2009 was an awesome action movie, but it was not star trek by any stretch of the imagination. It could have passed for star wars if it had a more cohesive plot, but it didn't. It was pure dumb entertainment. There is nothing wrong with that except they are cashing in on the franchise with a movie that doesn't live up. They should have called it something else, like "Space Teens." But that doesn't have the same money draw as the trek title.

Let me restate my position. ST2009 was an awesome action movie, but it was not star trek by any stretch of the imagination. It could have passed for star wars if it had a more cohesive plot, but it didn't. It was pure dumb entertainment. There is nothing wrong with that except they are cashing in on the franchise with a movie that doesn't live up. They should have called it something else, like "Space Teens." But that doesn't have the same money draw as the trek title.
Again, I disagree (hopefully not a habit forming exercise! lol)

I'd say it was Star Trek - at least to me, but ask what defines ST to fans and you'll get a whole load of different views.

Top Bottom