Safari push notifications coming to macOS and iOS

We’ve disabled over scrolling on the PWA in order to enable pull down to refresh.

Can you confirm if you keep trying to scroll it indicates it will refresh the page?
What do I need to do in order to activate pull to refresh on my XF 2.2.13 Forum?

It does work with the xenforo.com PWA , but it doesn't work with my XF 2.2.13 based Forum PWA on iOS? Thanks!

What do I need to do in order to activate pull to refresh on my XF 2.2.13 Forum?

It does work with the xenforo.com PWA , but it doesn't work with my XF 2.2.13 based Forum PWA? Thanks!
Delete and recreate the app on your device home screen? It worked with mine after the upgrade and the removal of the 3rd party add-on I was using.

Does Apple allow “converting” your PWA into a native app in the App Store without making any actual changes to anything else? Like, can you just wrap your website in a native app builder?

Bonus question: If not possible with XF, is it possible to do with a simple HTML website?

Does Apple allow “converting” your PWA into a native app in the App Store without making any actual changes to anything else? Like, can you just wrap your website in a native app builder?
Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe wrapping your website in an app (or app builder) was against their App Store rules as of a few years ago. It’s why mass white label services (like tapatalk and others) stopped leaning in as hard on giving everyone their own App Store app. They started rejecting them.

Theoretically, yes.

Check out this project founded by Microsoft:

You will very likely need to make changes to what is output in your manifest file.

That probably involves having a static file that you reference in your PAGE_CONTAINER template instead of the one we call by default.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe wrapping your website in an app (or app builder) was against their App Store rules as of a few years ago. It’s why mass white label services (like tapatalk and others) stopped leaning in as hard on giving everyone their own App Store app. They started rejecting them.
You're not wrong, but it may be possible:

It's not natively supported but PWABuilder provides the tools to turn your PWA into a native app with a web view. Whether or not Apple accepts it into the AppStore is another question entirely. They may well reject, but it's not unheard of.

"Fun" for me doesn't necessarily require a first step of stumping up $99 to get a developer account but whatever rocks your boat :)

"Fun" for me doesn't necessarily require a first step of stumping up $99 to get a developer account but whatever rocks your boat :)
Right, I always forget about that lol.

Still. Telling a user to go to the App Store and download your app? They know how to do that.

Telling them to add it to their home screen? (Xenforo ships with a little gif that shows you how to do it as well) and they didn’t even know their iPhone could do this. While the push notifications have been really positive, it has added to the confusion and frustration that some people feel.

Telling a user to go to the App Store and download your app? They know how to do that.

Telling them to add it to their home screen? (Xenforo ships with a little gif that shows you how to do it as well) and they didn’t even know their iPhone. While the push notifications have been really positive, it has added to the confusion and frustration that some people feel.
This.

(Not XF’s fault but still.)

@Chris D is it possible to make the ‘install app’ button a bookmarklet (whatever it’s called) to automatically open this page:

IMG_2388.webp

Can someone please tell me if this is correct:

• Badge (with alert count) shows on home screen icon
  • Tap to open app, no alerts show
  • Tap on anything( e.g. new post, forums or refresh) and badge now shows, ie alert could on the bell icon
I am asking because it would seem better if the alerts show as soon as you open the app, or maybe that is not possible?

• Tap on anything( e.g. new post, forums or refresh) and badge now shows, ie alert could on the bell icon
I am asking because it would seem better if the alerts show as soon as you open the app, or maybe that is not possible?
That’s exactly what I see and I noticed it earlier. I didn’t say anything because I assumed it’s some sort of limitation.

@Chris D, is it possible to force a refresh of the PWA when opening?

See:

Thanks. I didn't really understand it but I presume it confirms what I said???
Yep... the good news is that there is a mechanism you can use (in theory, I haven't tried it myself) to solve it. statechange is a non-standard event that a Google library uses, but it shouldn't be too hard to replicate it... it's just monitoring when the state of a PWA changes (like it's loaded).

Here’s a tip if you’re like me and don’t like using PWA but do want the push notifications: Install the PWA and allow the notifications but then go into iOS settings for notifications and turn off app badges for that PWA. Then hide the PWA icon/app in a folder (or leave it if you don’t mind seeing it). You’ll still get the push notifications but it will feel like they’re coming from Safari because the PWA is out of site and doesn’t need to be opened to clear the app badge numbers anymore.

Apologies if the following question has been answered.

I have set up push notifications via PWA for iOS. I receive a push notification only when the PWA/app is opened. Are the push notifications working as expected?

Top Bottom