Implemented Time limit on editing/deleting own posts by forum

AndyB

We need the ability to be able to set a time limit "Time limit on editing/deleting own posts" on a per forum basis. So for example on my forum I set the registered users group to allow them to edit/delete to eight hours, but I would like to be able to set a longer time for my classified forums.

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I've done this for the CycleChat classifieds forums by creating a new usergroup "Classifieds".

People are promoted to this group after 15 posts and the group setting has a 10 minute window for editing (to stop people changing/retracting their offerings).

I've then made all of the classifieds forums "Private" nodes and set the permissions in the parent category so that it cascades down to the forums. I've revoked all privs except the "View" ones and set the edit window to zero minutes. Then in the Classifieds usergroup I've set the privs to allow people to post/reply, upload attachments, etc. and given them an edit window of 10 mins. etc.

In the sibling forums I've set "allow" for the View forum setting only and "Inherit" for all other privs - which draws down the privs from the parent and saves me having to individual set privs for each group for each classified forum.

It sounds more involved than it actually was - the key is to get the parent right. ;)

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Thank you for sharing your experience regarding this issue, Shaun.

Your description is a perfect example of how much this feature needs to be part of the core Xenforo software. Setting the time limit for the edit/delete link on a per forum basis should be easy for admins.

A "global" setting for each forum might be handy, but TBH I much prefer the flexibility the permission system offers because I can apply different settings to different users/groups. Hell, you can even apply settings on an individual user basis (top right corner of the permissions screen), which is great for trusted regulars ... (y)

I suppose, like anything, it just takes some getting used to. The most difficult thing to get your head around is the additive nature of how it works - it's very different to most forum solutions that you might have used in the past, hence the confusion many people seem to experience when first getting into XF permissions.

If you need a hand setting this up PM me and I'll give you some ACP screenshots as a visual aid. (y)

Cheers,

Hi Shaun,

I appreciate your kind offering to help.

However I would like all my members to be able to edit/delete their posts in the classified forums. If I'm not mistaken, your solution was a compromise because of the lack of being able to set the time on a per forum basis as this feature request is asking.

Hi Shaun,

I appreciate your kind offering to help.

However I would like all my members to be able to edit/delete their posts in the classified forums. If I'm not mistaken, your solution was a compromise because of the lack of being able to set the time on a per forum basis as this feature request is asking.

No, not at all - I use the additional group to give me more flexibility; as well as using it to set a limited time editing window, I also have a 15 post minimum to act as a barrier to stop traders/opportunists from spamming our classifieds and additionally use it to remove access for people who abuse the forums or fail to follow the guidelines.

If you wanted to do it on a much simpler basis you could just use the Registered group and revoke editing time window privs for other groups. (y)

If I'm not mistaken there's no way to assign different edit/delete times on a per forum basis using the same user group. This is my criteria and request for this feature suggestion. Hopefully others will want this feature request and will like my first post.

I think you may only be able to increase it (due to how integer permissions work), but I don't see why you can't specify the value per node. Have you tried it?

Hi Mike,

Thanks for setting me straight, that works perfect for my needs.

Applications > Node Tree > Permissions > Select Forum > Registered > Time limit on editing/deleting own posts (minutes): > Unlimited

I just set all my classified forums to unlimited and all is well.

This is my criteria and request for this feature suggestion. Hopefully others will want this feature request and will like my first post.

Ooopss ... sorry, I hadn't twigged which forum you'd posted it in ... :LOL:

Glad you got it sorted though. (y)

Cheers,

Top Bottom