Thumbs up to the Xenforo smiley creator.

What makes this particular smiley pack so great is the size of the smileys. It is the same as letters so you don't have large or uneven gaps between lines of text like you do with the larger smileys.

What makes this particular smiley pack so great is the size of the smileys. It is the same as letters so you don't have large or uneven gaps between lines of text like you do with the larger smileys.

From a designing perspective they certainly aren't the perfect size. :cry:. There are definitely limitations what you can and can't do and I had to make compromises during the design phase, take the barefooting smiley for example, they were originally titled which I wanted to keep but they overlapped the canvas and exceed the 18px width dimension so settled for them sitting vertically. But I agree they work perfectly well with the text formatting and they don't leave gaps which is more down to the devs talent than mine.

That said, I've since started again and feel quantity is in order with the need for more smilies and aiming for 150 in total. When will these be completed? I'm not sure I have other work that takes priority but when time permits I'll work on these in increments. Hopefully they'll reach the 150 mark sooner rather than later. Small preview below on some new additions (ignore the smilies to the far bottom right).

smiley_xenforo_phase2.webp

Smiley's are OK, but the size of the pack does let it down greatly. Most forum owners generally like to stick with the same style of smilies used throughout and want 60-100 of them available at least for using covering lots of different emotions.
Uh... For a default pack that ships with the forum? Doubt it.

If its a custom pack that they install themselves, that is completely different.

I do have a complaint about one smiley though... :rolleyes: is just not sarcastic enough, and I'd either like one that just bleeds sarcasm or a :sarcasm: smiley that leaves no question of what was truly meant.

If the smiley could be highly condescending I'd be much happier :D.

Wouldn't the smiley your talking about be somewhat "smug" rather than super duper sarcastic? Surely, you have envisioned something that conveys a no questions sarcastic smiley any suggestions what's rolling around in your head? I remember seeing an animated sarcastic smiley which conveyed nicely across but I think we will both agree that animation and it having to be .gif format is out of the question. I think this could be a shrug moment. *shrugs* (y)

Wouldn't the smiley your talking about be somewhat "smug" rather than super duper sarcastic? Surely, you have envisioned something that conveys a no questions sarcastic smiley any suggestions what's rolling around in your head? I remember seeing an animated sarcastic smiley which conveyed nicely across but I think we will both agree that animation and it having to be .gif format is out of the question. I think this could be a shrug moment. *shrugs* (y)
Hey, you're the smiley artist, I'll leave the thinking to you on that. For inspiration just imagine responding to AnthonyCea or MrGTB and put all those feelings into it. I'm sure it'll come out perfect (y).

I've only ever seen a few good sarcastic smilies (the :rolleyes: being one of the better ones here, but doesn't reach perfection yet). I honestly believe it would be the holy grail of smilies if done :D.

Hey, you're the smiley artist, I'll leave the thinking to you on that. For inspiration just imagine responding to AnthonyCea or MrGTB and put all those feelings into it. I'm sure it'll come out perfect (y).

I've only ever seen a few good sarcastic smilies (the :rolleyes: being one of the better ones here, but doesn't reach perfection yet). I honestly believe it would be the holy grail of smilies if done :D.

I knew you were going to say that. (y) If I didn't have conversations switched off I'd be pestering you. Oh and you my good old feathered friend will respond to one of them before i do, infact you already did in this thread. :X3: Oops!!

I'll see what I can do and you can pass judgment expect a myriad of screenshots via pm if that is alright with you.

I knew you were going to say that. (y) If I didn't have conversations switched off I'd be pestering you. Oh and you my good old feathered friend will respond to one of them before i do, infact you already did in this thread. :X3: Oops!!

I'll see what I can do and you can pass judgment expect a myriad of screenshots via pm if that is alright with you.
Alright :D.

You can add me on a IM program as well, I usually have my computer on so it would probably be quicker for conversations.

So there is.! For some reason, I thought your set had two barefoot smilies, cold and warm. :eek:

Love the additions, perhaps with the exception of the last one which is wider than the rest.. I really hope you do decide to "revive" the set and expand it a bit more. They're a work of art!

Keeping you updated, progress is slow due to other priorities but designing as time permits me to do so. Once I reach the 100 mark I'll transfer the smilies over to the devs and hopefully you'll find them in a separate folder for you to use if you choose to do so.

Re-visiting the sarcastic smiley @forsaken, nothing creative as yet. :X3: (ignore the smilies to the right they aren't going to be included)

xf_smilies_extended_extende.webp

Keeping you updated, progress is slow due to other priorities but designing as time permits me to do so. Once I reach the 100 mark I'll transfer the smilies over to the devs and hopefully you'll find them in a separate folder for you to use if you choose to do so.
Really nice, Shelley. Looking forward to seeing what other ideas you come up with!

Remind me to send some beer money your way once my employment situation improves again.. :barefoot:

Why are there no animated ones? Bit boring really without a few thrown in to give some live action. Also, what's wrong with using GIF smilies, why this BIG thing about PNG format?

IPB uses GIF smilies, so do most other forum board software titles by default. Plus, you can't make animated PNG smilies, they have to be GIF format. So your limiting things right away on the animated front!

And again, XenForo doesn't even use alternating colour rows for posts in threads, each has a white background so GIF smilies could have work perfect no problem as default set.

Fair enough, you can open the PNG and save it as GIF with matted background colour. But what about animated smilies. How do we create them from one PNG saved as GIF? :p

Fair enough, you can open the PNG and save it as GIF with matted background colour. But what about animated smilies. How do we create them from one PNG saved as GIF? :p
You don't.

As far as I can tell (From what Shelley has said) she doesn't really like animated smilies, and is unlikely to release any. Animated smilies would have to be found on the internet, custom made by yourself, or requested from a designer.

Top Bottom