Not planned Thread vs Discussion vs Topic

Grover

(devoting a dedicated thread discussion ;) on this)

Triggered by this remark from Floris:

THat resparks the conversation then about calling a thread a discussion and the button still being called a thread, etc.

I thought:
Thread vs Discussion or Topic

Indeed, this is a good point. Overall... I always hated the word 'thread'... on vBulletin and every other board that uses this phrase. When there was not a Dutch translation available for vBulletin at the time... my dutch members kept asking me 'what is a thread'? No clue. I mean when you translate it you get : 'draadje' (which means so much as wire/line (and thread), but people in The Netherlands never ever talk about a 'draadje' when it comes to discussions. Apparently, it is common language/knowledge for English speaking people using a web board(?). As a Dutch person I find it still a bit of a weird word to use on forums... I much prefer [New Discussion] or [New Topic].

Brogan explained:
Thread relates to threaded view, as opposed to flat or linear view.

Ah yes... thanks for pointing this out, because now I realize that this makes the word 'thread' even more non-fitting on XF, perhaps. XF does not use threaded view... you can not select this alternative view... only flat/linear view is possible (which is a good thing IMHO). So if XF doesn't even provide threaded view... why call a discussion a thread then?

Instead of http://xenforo.com/community/threads/fixed-term-for-personal-discussions-vs-conversations.2796 I would prefer:
http://xenforo.com/community/discussions/fixed-term-for-personal-discussions-vs-conversations.2796

Upvote 10
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
We should brainstorm it a bit see if anything pops out...

Talk, Chat, tete-a-tete (or really a tete-a-tete-a-tete ~), dialogue (or log for short), confabulation (confab anyone?)

subject, issue, matter, affair

We should brainstorm it a bit see if anything pops out...

Talk, Chat, tete-a-tete (or really a tete-a-tete-a-tete ~), dialogue (or log for short), confabulation (confab anyone?)

subject, issue, matter, affair
I find a few of them words are specific to the content of the thread/topic/discussion/talk/chat/tete-a-tete. :P

A lot of the terminology is actually historic and related to the real world counterpart.

BB which means bulletin board for example was the electronic equivalent of e.g. a physical bulletin board in an office which was stuck on a wall, somewhere where you would literally post (or pin) messages to it.

Hence where the original terms were coined.

As Forsaken and I have mentioned earlier, thread relates to a particular view which is the threaded view.
Incidentally hardly any forums implement that view so in most cases it's an inaccurate term.

In forums, I like the term "topic" over "thread" because it's a lot more modern-looking ("threads" were more of a usenet thing), and is a little easier on people who have never used a forum. That said, I'm surprised XenForo went for using the term "thread" over "topic" when its visions are all about Web 2.0.

Opinions?

Top Bottom