Not planned Thread vs Discussion vs Topic

Grover

(devoting a dedicated thread discussion ;) on this)

Triggered by this remark from Floris:

THat resparks the conversation then about calling a thread a discussion and the button still being called a thread, etc.

I thought:
Thread vs Discussion or Topic

Indeed, this is a good point. Overall... I always hated the word 'thread'... on vBulletin and every other board that uses this phrase. When there was not a Dutch translation available for vBulletin at the time... my dutch members kept asking me 'what is a thread'? No clue. I mean when you translate it you get : 'draadje' (which means so much as wire/line (and thread), but people in The Netherlands never ever talk about a 'draadje' when it comes to discussions. Apparently, it is common language/knowledge for English speaking people using a web board(?). As a Dutch person I find it still a bit of a weird word to use on forums... I much prefer [New Discussion] or [New Topic].

Brogan explained:
Thread relates to threaded view, as opposed to flat or linear view.

Ah yes... thanks for pointing this out, because now I realize that this makes the word 'thread' even more non-fitting on XF, perhaps. XF does not use threaded view... you can not select this alternative view... only flat/linear view is possible (which is a good thing IMHO). So if XF doesn't even provide threaded view... why call a discussion a thread then?

Instead of http://xenforo.com/community/threads/fixed-term-for-personal-discussions-vs-conversations.2796 I would prefer:
http://xenforo.com/community/discussions/fixed-term-for-personal-discussions-vs-conversations.2796

Upvote 10
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
My biggest gripe with 'thread' is that people who have never used a forum just won't know what a thread is.

It's easy enough to change the string (especially since it isn't hardcoded onto the buttons like vB3), but for a system designed to be "a fresh outlook to forum software", topic or discussion is just better suited.

forum noob said:
New thread?

NRvLq.jpg

Maybe its just me but 'threads' is a little old school ... maybe we should just change all occurrences of threads to topics.

ie:
Watched Threads to Watched Topics
New Thread to New Topic
I did the same in my forums, although since it was in Spanish I changed that from "discusión" to "tema"

Threads are sooooo out
Let's use topic instead

And while in that, let's use "message" instead of "post"

Then surely we'd have another lawsuit for being politically incorrect and indirectly insulting people with speech impediments :(

Hmmm true.. you could have a point...

Bob it is then!

I'll just go and start a new bob in the test forum, see how it handles.

Top Bottom