Not planned Thread vs Discussion vs Topic

Kim

We should brainstorm it a bit see if anything pops out...

Talk, Chat, tete-a-tete (or really a tete-a-tete-a-tete ~), dialogue (or log for short), confabulation (confab anyone?)

subject, issue, matter, affair

James

We should brainstorm it a bit see if anything pops out...

Talk, Chat, tete-a-tete (or really a tete-a-tete-a-tete ~), dialogue (or log for short), confabulation (confab anyone?)

subject, issue, matter, affair
I find a few of them words are specific to the content of the thread/topic/discussion/talk/chat/tete-a-tete. :p

Luke F

Topic is certainly a relevant word, but it just doesn't sound right being used in the same context where you would say 'thread'.

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
A lot of the terminology is actually historic and related to the real world counterpart.

BB which means bulletin board for example was the electronic equivalent of e.g. a physical bulletin board in an office which was stuck on a wall, somewhere where you would literally post (or pin) messages to it.

Hence where the original terms were coined.

As Forsaken and I have mentioned earlier, thread relates to a particular view which is the threaded view.
Incidentally hardly any forums implement that view so in most cases it's an inaccurate term.

rollthebones

In forums, I like the term "topic" over "thread" because it's a lot more modern-looking ("threads" were more of a usenet thing), and is a little easier on people who have never used a forum. That said, I'm surprised XenForo went for using the term "thread" over "topic" when its visions are all about Web 2.0.

Opinions?