Third Party Facebook Forums App

LOL, you got that right, a forum on Facebook will be like a forum any where else, you will still have to actively manage it or it will be machine gun spammed and no one will be interested in reading or posting in it.

It takes work to run forums, no matter if they are free or paid.

It doesn't take much work when hundreds of users are browsing said forums at any given time.
One thing I like about this app is that you get listed in the directory and your position is determined by the number of topics there are in your forum. This app is relatively new and already has about 15,000 users.

This app is relatively new and already has about 15,000 users.

Considering you have to authorize the app (like most Facebook apps) before you can even use/view the forums, the user count isn't indicative of anything other than the number of people who chose "Allow" (perhaps solely out of curiosity, and not any real intention of partaking in the discussions). I'd be surprised if the number of users who actively participate in the forums is the same, or close.

Seems usable for promoting my own xenforo site further, but other then that I'd have to be an idiot to let some third party company & facebook be my communities super-admin, basically.

I use facebook to keep in touch with friends only. Not to play games or whatever all these apps do. In fact, I can't even access any apps because I have secure browsing enabled. I just don't see facebook as a valid venue for forums.

In addition to using vB3's navbits, they are using their sticky image.

pinned.webp

I started one just to see what it looks like. Amazingly similar (visually) to early vBulletin.

15,000 from 500,000,000. That's 0.003% of the user base. Hardly a breakaway success.

It's early days yet, give it time and look again and post some stats 6 months from now. I'm not a betting man, but I'll bet you it will be a lot more than 3% then. Also, 3% of 500,000 users is nothing to be sniffed at either and equals 15,000 people using it so far. I bet you wouldn't mind having 500,000 members here with only 3% owning XenForo. You'd be a very happy rich man and would have netted yourselves over $200,000!

In perspective, that's a lot more forum users than you have using XenForo, or are likely to have for a very long time too come. And it's been done already on FB in such a very short time-scale. So 3% is actually quite good figures really to date in terms of numbers using it.

It's early days yet, give it time and look again and post some stats 6 months from now. I'm not a betting man, but I'll bet you it will be a lot more than 3% then.
Possibly, but consider the fact that it's new, and very much under the radar of most people considering forum software. They'll go for proven solutions. XF, vB, IPB, etc.

Not to mention, it's not even an official Facebook application, so most people don't even know of it's existence yet.

So, even if the userbase does increase, the odds of this new forum breaking through the mold anytime within the next year is highly unlikely.

And even then, Facebook is a copyrighted trademark, so I can't even see this lasting that long without Facebook filing suit for trademark infringement, and then there's the whole using vBulletin graphics deal, as Peggy pointed out.

It'll be interesting to watch, certainly, but there's absolutely no reason forum owners should fear having traffic drawn away from their own sites because of this, in my opinion.

In addition to using vB3's navbits, they are using their sticky image.

Amazingly similar (visually) to early vBulletin.

Well the developer is a clown for using elements of vB, he can't be that hip, nor the managers of Facebook, if FB had any smarts they would take that crap down now or force the dev to change it.

It all looks very amateur to me - not at all like anything FB would be officially linked to. I'm sure that once they are aware of it they will track it and then pursue takedown - the name alone is a massive breach of copyright.

BTW, FaceBookBoards.com is still available ;)

Facebook knows about it, it is running on their servers, they might view it as a test at this point, also like Google they might want to see how far they can push the envelope with this test.

Facebook knows about it, it is running on their servers, they might view it as a test at this point, also like Google they might want to see how far they can push the envelope with this test.
Facebook apps do not run on Facebook's servers.

Honestly, this is getting way more attention than it deserves. It's a mediocre third party app, it poses no threat whatsoever to established forum communities. I doubt most of us would ever have heard about it were it not for this thread.

Well the developer is a clown for using elements of vB, he can't be that hip, nor the managers of Facebook, if FB had any smarts they would take that crap down now or force the dev to change it.

How about if Internet Brands was smart they would sue Facebook for using their code/images? :D

Facebook apps do not run on Facebook's servers.

Honestly, this is getting way more attention than it deserves. It's a mediocre third party app, it poses no threat whatsoever to established forum communities. I doubt most of us would ever have heard about it were it not for this thread.

No reason to get mad, you said it well and clear.

Top Bottom