1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about not renewing

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by ChemicalKicks, Oct 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChemicalKicks

    ChemicalKicks Well-Known Member

    Recently gave up a forum I owned for a number of years for many different reasons, one of them being I couldn't be bothered anymore HA. Just lost interest.

    Anyhow, I spent months away from here. With recent reading it would appear that I would be best not to spend anymore money, whats happening with XenForo?
  2. craigiri

    craigiri Well-Known Member

    Well, surely if you don't have an active forum...you have nothing to lose by waiting until you hear the next update(s). Nothing ventured, nothing lost!

    If you own a license already you can just keep it around.....and renew later. If you don't have a license and don't want the hassle of a forum....well, you answered your own question!
  3. Jake Bunce

    Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

    Lawsuit still pending. XenForo's lawyers have requested that the case be dismissed due to failure to prosecute (IB has failed to file new claims or serve new defendants). The court will decide whether or not to dismiss the case on Nov 5, 2012 which is only 3 weeks away. If the case is not dismissed then the trial is set for January 15, 2013.

    Everything depends on the lawsuit, so that is the update.
    Bram, Rich, Insy and 1 other person like this.
  4. Stan

    Stan Active Member

    Seriously, What does the lawsuit have to do with anything? If it was reason enough not to develop the product then it should be reason enough not to accept sales for the product. Currently XF is still selling this so why not develop for it? I currently have several licenses including UNBRANDED that I will not renew due to the lack of anything here. VB 4 was the reason most people switched to XF now VB 4 is a far superior product and no one from XF seems to care. Not to mention VB 5 either.

    Seriously lets get going or sell this product to someone else who is willing to develop for it.
  5. ManagerJosh

    ManagerJosh Well-Known Member

    My comments: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/california-case-update.10037/page-220#post-425471
  6. Morgain

    Morgain Well-Known Member

    Ashley posted just over a month ago to notify us that the strain of the court case had finally got to the team. They were exhausted and stressed, not least by managing on little money as funds all went into the case. That acute stress is not a good state in which to do code!
    Very wisely they put the new XF 1.2 on hold until the case is decided. The last stage of any court case needs full attention anyway - there will be mountains of paperwork.

    However so far XF has won out on every stage of the case preparations. As Jake said IB have failed and failed and failed to actually put their case, missing deadlines and failing to produce witnesses.
    The case is likely to be dismissed (closed down) on Nov. 5. Three weeks.
    If that does not happen the final final date is Jan 15 when the legal experts have stated that it is highly unlikely that XF will lose.
    XF will then get their costs back which can inject new life into the project.

    It would be a great shame to give up on a project now when it has so nearly won through. Those of us who have stuck it out are looking forward confidently to the celebration and good memories of being one of the historic early XF clients who supported XF through its first difficult period. Once free of this XF will become an innovative giant again as it was already. After all it's still way up ahead even though there has been no big development for so many months.

    Of course those who just weakly give up now at the last minute and run away could always quietly slide back in once it's all fixed. But that won't be nearly so proud and fine as sticking with it. (It's clearly on public record here who has acted well and who has not.)
    Of COURSE some of us have livelihood hanging on this. Or a community of people who need and depend on us. So we were all of us worried for a while. But the difficult part was some time ago before it became clear that IB (the antagonist) has messed it up repeatedly and not demonstrated they have any case at all,; so XF is going to be fine.
    By now it would be very silly indeed to run away.
    Bram and Agent like this.
  7. Morgain

    Morgain Well-Known Member

    Well it's up to you and it sounds like VB4 is where you belong.

    Oh now REALLY that's going too far! I've seen people who like VB4 comment on VB5 and it's a very raw product again as has become IB habit thrust on the market well before it's usable. It's a known joke though a sad one for people getting ripped off.

    Anyone who bought it would still have to deal with the court case against it.
    KAM are willing to develop it. Just not right now when they can't be expected to code to their usual high quality level due to stress. Me I'm happy to wait for the best to become available again.
  8. kkm323

    kkm323 Well-Known Member

    you don't have to renew since you gave up on forums. You can renew your license after the case is settle, but it doesn't really matter if you gave up? :unsure:

    I do wish that xenforo win the case, if they didn't (0.1% chance) I will have to move somewhere else not VB but maybe IPboard. The migration won't be an easy choice but the big lose is really for KAM. They will regret there actions, if they were able to do something about it and they didn't. As a loving costumer for xenforo since day.1 I will be very disappointed but "life goes on"
    Insy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page