Thinking about coming from Vbulletin

RonS

Hello all,

As the subject says I am considering the switch over from vBulletin to Xenforo. My question is what does Xenforo have to offer that vBulletin doesn't? I have owned a licensed copy of VB for several years and have used hundreds of Free mods and themes from VB and have been quite happy with VB. I have noticed alot of Mods and themes from Xenforo are Paid. So I just want to know what I am getting into purchasing a licensed copy of Xenforo? Also which is the best version to start out with V1 or V2 and if I start with V1 would I have to purchase an update for V2.

Thank you for your help and opinions.

Ron S

@kuyenmotdivad , thanks for your comment. I as well have used many forum software in the past, used vB for over 5 years and liked it but I think vB is coming to a slow halt. I have been playing with XenForo now and it is taking some time to get used too, but with the Search function here I am finding solutions to my problems and liking what I am seeing so far. May have to buy a couple licenses. Only thing I liked about vB is the free addons but free isn't always good though lol. The prices for the addons here are fairly reasonable and have BM'd alot of the addons I want and need.

I as well have used many forum software in the past, used vB for over 5 years and liked it but I think vB is coming to a slow halt. I have been playing with XenForo now and it is taking some time to get used too, but with the Search function here I am finding solutions to my problems and liking what I am seeing so far. May have to buy a couple licenses. Only thing I liked about vB is the free addons but free isn't always good though lol. The prices for the addons here are fairly reasonable and have BM'd alot of the addons I want and need.

same experience ( 8 years of vb3, then vb4), I didn't want to "upgrade" from latest vb4 to vb5...
XF is nice , with huge quality, even if it's not perfect of course...
BUT one of the main problem, is , as you noticed, the difficulty ( cost +++) of purchasing addons (there are other problems of course )

I really miss something like vb org...so much really nice people, experimented coders, perfect addons and so much choices.... FREE... with ( yes it's true) free updates/upgrades! nothing like this here... :(

here I discovered addons which (most of them) aren't free ( some VERY expensive), with subscription system (!!!! again more money!), the final cost is finally huge if you want to get some, and keep them updated after a few months!
take care of your wallet!

I don't know why there's this difference about $ for addons ( vb vs xf)....
Is XF more used by large forums, with money income (ads, membership ?)..... but middle size /free forum, without ads , can't afford lots of addons..

just my 2 cents !

Last edited:
Most addons are not paid

Ok please, I, of course, checked these lists...don't make me laugh :):):)

1/ quantity IS NOT quality
2/ if you want, I can say or should have said: most "useful" addons, ....happy now ?
3/ you can't contest the high prices and lack of free upgrades of xf addons

just accept the facts, :X3: please.... say anything else, but the cost of addons ( oops most useful addons) is a problem...

no offence, no troll...

"Useful" addons is subjective, what might be useful to you might not be useful to others.

Developers charge for their time, if that is not acceptable, then you could always dive into the files and learn to code addons to suit your needs.

WOW didn't mean to start any conflicts here, so sorry.

I find it acceptable for developers to charge for their time, but yes some are a little much especially for people with thin wallets. I guess when you come from vb after all those years and used to seeing all the available free mods and then come to Xenforo and see alot more as paid mods vs vB and as you said @ozzy47 whats useful to some may not be for others. I know I had one vB site with at least 100 addons running on it. A couple were paid mods from dbTech.

Again folks didn't mean to start and conflicts here.

Hi RonS

At least you can understand what I said.Thanks.
Some guys (guess who ;)) want always to have the last word... and don’t even try to understand because they KNOW.... :). BS.....

At least (future) vb owners who want to migrate should know where they’re goin’....
So options are:
no addons,
or you need big pockets,
or get just a couple of addons,
or be a developper.... thanks to the advice given above...
sorry I’m just an average guy, giving time (and money) for a FREE xf forum ( yes I migrated a few weeks ago, and some guys give free time).... developpers can charge of course , yes,BUT I miss free vb addons, and these vb developpers aren’t less good than xf ones, so why such a difference? longer history of dev ( in vb)? More money addicts in xf ?....:oops:

As time goes by, adobe’ syndrom (pay now.... and pay for ever,always) is spreading....:cautious: even for xf addons :rolleyes:.
No need to answer just think about it’ , I’m on duty and need to go....

So long, RonS..

Some guys (guess who ;)) want always to have the last word... and don’t even try to understand because they KNOW.... :). BS.....

Mr. Wizard?

At least (future) vb owners who want to migrate should know where they’re goin’....

Any forum owner should due their due diligence and research everything before blindly switching the platform their community runs on. Before switching the owner should already know what the costs are and what is needed and what can go.

@Boss1 I moved my forum from VB4 to XF2, so I understand what you might be experiencing. In general, XF2 will require fewer add-ons, because the base software is so well written. I only use two add-ons that impact my forum. One adds more media bb code and the other is TH Reactions.

My VB4 site did make use of the CMS, and there is no good option in XF2 to cover that. I wrote a CMS for my site, which is more tailored to my site than anything XF could have done.

One thing you have to do with XF is comb through all the junk add-ons to find good ones. There are add-ons that are nothing more than minor template modifications. Also instead of developers creating full-featured add-ons, they are typically smaller and have a single use.

My suggestion is that if you don't like the base XF2 and don't want to spend ~$100 on add-ons, then I would stick with VB for now. If you don't mind spending a little money, and the forum meets your basic needs, then it is worth the switch.

Top Bottom