Things named with foro

craigiri

It's funny - I was just checking on some domains for a forum idea that I had, and somehow I started checking those which might end with "foro" as a shorthand for forum.

Example - if I was looking at opening a dental forum

dentalforo.com

Sorta funny how one can get familiar with a couple letter! I wonder if anyone else is using "foro" as the ending of their domain name?

Most of the very popular domains are called for - for instance, if you wanted to open a forum on ford cars, it would be very likely that fordtalk, fordforum, etc. would be taken - but not fordforo!

Is that a crazy thought? It wouldn't require the forum to be XF software, but if enough people used it internet users might get the idea.

In the past, many forums used "bb", such as "fordbb.com".
I also often use "talk", but these are usually taken quickly.

Sometimes, it seems "chat" is available, such as "fordchat.com".

To turn this into a broader discussion, what ending for domain names do folks think are best to ID the place as a forum? Or, is it just as well to not do so...for instance "fordmotorclub.com" or even "fordmotorfans.com".

Well, I have already laid out a few!

You may get a cease and desist if you use a trademarked name.
Contrary to the belief of some, there are companies that go great lengths to protect their corporate identity.

Was just using that as an example...not a ford nut or a car nut, nor would I register any trademark. This particular search was for something like a hobby - like "powertoolforo"......

That's a whole 'nother subject, but I assume a lot of brands liked having fan clubs over the years. I used to have saab forums as a advertiser and they had the trademarked name in the URL.

I see tons of "bmw" forums with bmv in the name. And, of course, we have sites like walmartsucks.com - I guess that's a whole 'nother subject!

I see tons of "bmw" forums with bmv in the name. And, of course, we have sites like walmartsucks.com - I guess that's a whole 'nother subject!
I don't actually know of any 'BMW' forums. Those listed in my sig are used with permission.
I do know they will go after sites with BMW in the name. I'm pretty amazed that there are forums with Disney in the name.

I think in terms of SEO, having the subject of the forum in the name helps.

Top Bottom