XF 1.2 There are templates that may be outdated

AndyB

I'm running 1.2b5

When I log into my Admin CP I get the following message:

There are templates that may be outdated. Click here to review them.

Clicking the link I see the following:

pic001.webp

I have two styles:

1) Default Style
2) Mobile Style <- this is a child of the Default Style

I made changes to these three templates in the mobile style, is this the reason I'm getting the outdated template message?

Yes. Click merge changes and update the templates as necessary and the message will go away.

I looked at the 'ad_above_top_breadcrumb' templates, both versions, the Default Style and the Mobile Style. I then merged the templates and then looked at both again, there was zero change to either one of them. So what actually occurred? It did remove the warning for that particular template.

The version of the mobile templates was showing as being older than that of its parent. This could have happened for a few reasons, but without knowing changes you made before, an exact reason is tough to pinpoint.

Using phpmyadmin, here's the second template which I have not merged yet. The version numbers are the same, so why does it say the mobile version is outdated and I should merge? Makes no sense to me.

pic001.webp

I just compared the two templates and there is a difference. I made a change in the Default Style version. So it must be picking up on the change.

This leads me to the question. What logic is used when I edit a Default Style template? Does it automatically update the child style (Mobile Style). What if I don't want it to update the child style.

When I merged the 'ad_below_bottom_breadcrumb' both the Default Style and the Mobile Style are now the same. The Default Style was used to update the Mobile Style. This worked out very well.

If the child style template is unchanged, yes, it will propagate down. If you edited the child style, then no, you'll get these warnings.

So on the last merge I wanted the Mobile Style version of the navigation template a little different. So I selected (Resolve using custom version) on both changes and it all worked out perfect. I don't get the outdated template messages any more.

Thank you King Kovifor, I appreciate you holding my hand as I learn about these features.

Resolve using either. The one is a comment, the other is identical (spacing is different. I'd go parent for the second).

Yes the first one is just a comment. But the second one the code needed to differ slightly. After the merge I had to clean up the Mobile Style slightly. Still no outdated template message. I assume if you edit the child template after editing the parent template, the outdated template message will not show.

Top Bottom