Cannot reproduce There are more messages to display. (when there aren't)

Mr Lucky

Affected version
This is a sort of low level irritant that I find happens both on my forum and on here.

I sometimes assume the problem is PICNIC (I am getting old) however today I answered a Conversation that had three messages, the last one I had read yesterday.

So today I replied and after posting I got the

There are more messages to display View them?

I click on view them and it just took me to the reply I had just made (No new messages). It seems to happen randomly, ie no way to reproduce it but

I asked this once before here, and the replies re: possible reasons made sense, but absolutely not in this case.

Happened to me on this site. I just figured my reply to the conversation generated a new page, and so it tossed up the There are more messages to display. View them? (which it should not have done anyways).

And it just happened again in same conversation. The message I wrote was replied to (so a toal of 5 messages in the conversation at that time), and when I replied back I get There are more messages to display View them? which again just leds me to the reply I'd just made.

Just wondering if this is an addon, thinking about any addons that may be relevant I do have Live Content by xon.

However that wouldn't explain why it was happening three years ago and on here.

I've just upgraded to v2.2.3 Patch 1 from XF1 and am using the 2 addons (Reverse Post Order 1.1.1 and Quick Reply Button for Threads 2.0.1).

I see the same There are more messages to display View them? when I use the reply box at the bottom of the page. This message is placed somewhere in the middle of the page between messages and is actually incorrect (there are no new unread messages).

When I use the quick reply button (which opens up a new page for replying), this does not happen.

It appears to be a bug.

So unfortunately, I haven't been able to reproduce this and I'm not really seeing an obvious way for it to happen in conversations (outside of the expected situation, which I'll come back to). The only scenario I can think of relates to the bug we fixed in 2.2.4 that resulted in hidden inputs being overwritten, but this was normally triggered by multi-quote so it shouldn't happen in conversations.

Is this something you've run into since 2.2.4 was released? (In unexpected situations.)

In terms of when this is expected: you should see it whenever there is a "missing" message (and our messages are date ordered). Once you quick reply to something, we don't want to imply that any messages we load are directly after what was the last displayed message unless it actually is. If there is 1 or more messages between them, we display this message. That's why you're more likely to see it if you reply to a thread on a page other than the last one. Your previous example fell into this case (replying on page 1, so it displayed your post and a few posts before it, but since there were other posts between that weren't shown, this message was displayed as well).

It can also happen on a quick moving thread, if there are a large number of posts between when you loaded the page and submitted your reply.

Top Bottom