The Rugby Thread ...

Robbie "Dingo" Deans adds 12 new faces to the EOYT squad. Grasping at straws Robbo?

Aussie Squad (copied from another site).

Ben Alexander, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Berrick Barnes, Kurtley Beale, Richard Brown, Luke Burgess, Nathan Charles, Mitchell Chapman, Quade Cooper, Ben Daley, Rod Davies, Dave Dennis, Kane Douglas, Huia Edmonds, Rocky Elsom, Anthony Faingaa, Saia Faingaa, Will Genia, Matt Giteau, Scott Higginbotham, Matt Hodgson, Peter Hynes, Van Humphries, Brackin Karauria-Henry, Sekope Kepu, Richard Kingi, Salesi Ma'afu, Pat McCabe, Ben McCalman, Drew Mitchell, Stephen Moore, Dean Mumm, James O'Connor, Pat O'Connor, David Pocock, Benn Robinson, Nathan Sharpe, Rob Simmons, James Slipper, Matt Toomua.

The Wallabies - the only team to score tries in both, yes both of their World Cup victories!

I have nothing else at the moment .... :(

Thanks for that dartho, New Zealand appreciates the reminder :(

In further news from Ozland, the Melbourne Rebels (expansion franchise for the S15 shambles waiting to happen) have announced their major sponsor, Rabodirect an arm of Rabobank. Apparently the Bank is a rural dutch outfit spreading internationally. Downside for the Rebels is a couple of players AWOL from a pre season meeting.

While Rugby continues to spiral downward in Australia (ARU it's simple, free to air coverage), the International scene is glowing with HSBC getting behind the World Seven's Series for the 2010/2011 season, more details there I'm sure.

Okay that's the financial news for the day, any actual rugger on at the moment?

Meanwhile back in New Zealand the ITM Cup is getting very very interesting with the bottom seven teams to be dumped as the NZRU does it's level best to destroy heartland rugby ..... again!!!!!

Hawke's Bay 25 - 13 Northland. Why oh why did the Bay kick the ball away in the final few minutes with a possible try in the offering! Pack is starting to gel and looking good. Both teams still in with a chance of remaining in the Premier division depending on games over the weekend. The Taniwha really did need that win, but what the heck I support the Magpies so suck it up Northlanders!

Tonight sees an injury plague Waikato taking on the already second division bound Otago in a clash the Cowbell ringers will want to win to further enhance their finals aspirations. Anyone care about Otago? - no didn't think so, develop your own players comes to mind.

Waikato proceeded to man shame Otago 41-15 overnight with the Duck producing one of his best games of the season. Two conversations hotted up on rugby sites down under immediately after that result. Donald for the EOYT, sorry anyone remember the horror of him wearing the black last time! And why Otago has gone pear shaped from the glories of the 1990s outfit. Sorry Otago have gone pear shaped because they can't attract players from other provinces anymore and don't spend large amounts cash on development, no fewer than four of the 199os side were from Hawke's Bay.

Over in England murmurs are starting to emerge about some young kid being a bolter for the World Cup squad. Sorry don't have the name, but apparently he would add the mongrel to the English forward pack that they need. Might have a hunt around to get more detail.

Anyone actually interested in this?

To ITM games overnight

The JAFAs managed to swamp the Steelers but left it late in the game to gain a bonus point and ensure victory, 37-13 on the back of a poor "A" team showing in the first half. Manawatu put everything into it but fell apart in the final stanza as the Naki romped to a 30-16 win to resurrect their title aspirations. And finally the news no true rugby fan wanted to hear, the Evil Empire downed the Peoples champion on the frozen tundra of Southland to claim the ranfurly shield in perhaps the best game of the competition this season. Canterbury managing a 26-16 win and going top of the table. Am avoiding rugby forums this morning as Cantab fans do love to gloat over their poaching team.

Meanwhile in Australia ... No more bundy adverts!

Bundy have pulled the pin on a ten year deal with the Wallabies, which works out well for the ARU with a world cup year coming up. Speculation as to a replacement sponsor is rife but the ARU are being tight lipped about things. I've got my fingers crossed that Steggles will step into the gap so I can refer to the Wallabies as the "Dead Chook Wallabies" or maybe Kmart would be interested, the "Cut Price Wallabies".

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Over in South Africa ... outrage!

Apparently the SARU is going to have to pull the much valued springbok emblem from their World Cup jerseys in line with IRB requirements and the SARU caving in to the demands of their government. Naturally fans are up in arms and demanding people resign over the issue. The new emblem will be the major South African sporting emblem the protea, I'm actually quite happy with them adopting the flower emblem as I can refer to the team as "the petals" through next year.

Pool A

New Zealand
Scotland
Canada
Gyana

Thats how the legue is gonna finish .... or alternativley New Zeland below the Scots ... but then I am dreaming/tired .... lol ... cant wait till six nations next year, just shame we have lost a great player due to breaking his neck :(

And back to the ITM Cup

Wellywood has absolutely smashed a pretty atrocious looking North Harbour 52-23, the five points keeps the Lions in the running for the play offs.

For anyone following the cricket (Oz v India) Australia 441/7 - Ponting should declare and go for the win here.

Over in India both days of the Rugby 7s have sold out.

In Kiwiland the Makos put a dent in Bay of Plenty's title charge, though we are starting to see the seven teams that will get dump from the top division next year as the NZRU continue in their efforts to erode heartland rugby to allow yet another Aussie team into the S15. Thank you NZRU, no really, it means I don't have to get pay tv next year.

gets better FRance beat england today in the heineken cup:

Toulouse
18 v 16
London Wasps

Runic could you explain how the various Euro competitions work. Keep seeing the results coming up on various sites but there always seems to be a dozen comps running. Is the Celtic League still going? - not seeing any results or news there.

atm I know of 2 main cups running thats heineken cup and amlin challenge cup both by what i know at union, below that there is of course league. Celtic League as far as I know now is the Magners League. You also have 6 Nations etc.

TBH I havent done much reading up on it all in few years, just get results as I catch them, or when my old team emails me (used to be a flanker)

Ah okay. HC gets exposure down here but not so much the Challenge Cup. Thought the Celtic League had dropped off the planet. (Used to be a wing, before I parachuted into planet digital).

And the Commonwealth Games 7s is underway, still trying to find a good feed on this one.

South Africa 27-0 Tonga

Wales 53-7 India

New Zealand 42-7 Canada (New Zealand had two players in the bin in the second half).

Scotland 27-0 Guyana

England 59-7 Sri Lanka

Australia 33-0 Uganda

Australia full time 42-5 Sri Lanka

Australia play the poms at 12:24pm (GMT) / 8:24pm (GMT+8 (Perth))/ 11:24 (GMT+11 (Sydney)) tonight - should be a good game.

Top Bottom