1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Known Universe

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Sadik B, May 26, 2011.

1. Sadik B

Sadik B Well-Known Member

There is the thread Kier started about the Scale of the Universe. This is a video which takes viewers from the Himalayas through our atmosphere and the inky black of space to the afterglow of the Big Bang. Every star, planet, and quasar seen in the film is possible because of the world's most complete four-dimensional map of the universe, the Digital Universe Atlas that is maintained and updated by astrophysicists at the American Museum of Natural History. The new film, created by the Museum,was part of an exhibition, Visions of the Cosmos: From the Milky Ocean to an Evolving Universe, at the Rubin Museum of Art in Manhattan through May 2010.

TheVisitors and GodForum.com like this.
  2. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Well-Known Member

That was an amazing video. It really allows you to see the great distance between objects in space and how much "space" there really is. Little ole' Earth isn't even a blip.
  3. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

I feel so insignificant. :cry:
  4. Quillz

Quillz Well-Known Member

Jo. likes this.
  5. Jo.

Jo. Well-Known Member

This is why I love what I do! (well one of the reasons anyway...)

Who in their right mind wouldn't want to study astrophysics??? (Highly subjective opinion I know... but I don't care. :p)
    Kim, Sadik B, John and 2 others like this.
  6. Sadik B

That was exactly what I thought when I first saw that video.
  7. GodForum.com

GodForum.com Well-Known Member

The Earth is nothing ... You, I, We are nothing o_O
  8. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

The Copernican principle.
  9. GodForum.com

Universe principle ... you are really really really small :)
  10. jmurrayhead

yes, I know we are very, very, very insignificant in the grand scheme of the universe. I was just commenting how the video allowed us to actually see that.
  11. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

It's okay though! My ego is big enough to overcome it. :D
    GodForum.com, Kim and jmurrayhead like this.
  12. Xarcell

Xarcell Well-Known Member

Matter is 99% space. If you condensed the universe, it would be about the size of a pea.
  13. Sadik B

I hate to think what the Gravitational pull of such a pea would be!!!
  14. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter, I still wouldn't eat it. :p
  15. Fred Sherman

Fred Sherman Well-Known Member

Want to feel even more insignificant? This only looked out our universe. If Dark Flow theory holds, then we could have the first evidence of a universe other than our own.

Consider the implications of that. Imagine our universe as a balloon. As time passes front he big bang, the balloon expands. Within the confines of this ballon is our universe, our space-time continuum, where our laws of physics apply.

External to our universe is the multiverse fabric, where other balloons are also expanding and exerting these dark flow influences on each other according to the laws of physics that apply to the multiverse - and could be radically different from our own.

So what happens when the balloons expand into each other? Who knows, but we could hazard a guess by observing what happens when galaxies collide - it isn't pretty. And those are objects which obey the same laws of physics. What happens when two universes with different physical laws collide?

What makes astrophysics so damned exciting is that science does't limit our imagination, it fuels it.
  16. jmurrayhead

Science channel has a special that talked just about this. It was quite fascinating.
  17. GodForum.com

Its funny to think that the size of our egos are bigger than the universe :D
  18. Bain

Bain Active Member

We are but a speck of dust. With an ego that tells us we are the only intelligent species around.
  19. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

If we could somehow have the ability to go between the two in the future, it would be very interesting.

Not sure of the implications of alternate universes though. Isn't it a rule or something that you shouldn't cross (like going back in time)? :cautious:
    There are some people out there that surprise me and think just that. o_O
  20. jmurrayhead

It would be interesting to think if there is a place in the multiverse where there are no rules and anything could happen.