URJET sold out to Homepage Universe?

New Joe

Anyone know if URLJET have sold out to Homepage Universe?
I've been a customer of URLJET for over 8 years, usually year to year I never have to contact support at all, sites run fine and no problems.

Just the last few months been having a few downtime problems, then today started to get 404 errors.
Logged into my client area on URLJET and noticed the tab shows as Homepage Universe, did a quick search and found the below:

Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 21.20.47.webp

Looks like others might be having problems.
Guess it could be time to find a new hosting company

I am having problems too, did you get it resolved?
Tech support is in India and they just say How can I help you? We will get back to you. I phoned and I was on hold for 15 mins, they weren't even open!

Homepage Universe moved the forum to another server and didn't tell me! They are telling me it is fixed, but it still slow loading. It isn't fixed!

I'm down completely and have been for 25 hours now. They also moved to me to a new server and said we needed to shut down for "no more than 2 hours" to sync the database with the new server. We have been down ever since.

I need to find hosting that can help me with technical issues with the software as I'm not super computer savvy. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm down completely and have been for 25 hours now. They also moved to me to a new server and said we needed to shut down for "no more than 2 hours" to sync the database with the new server. We have been down ever since.

I need to find hosting that can help me with technical issues with the software as I'm not super computer savvy. Does anyone have any suggestions?

What kind of server do you have and what is your budget?

What kind of server do you have and what is your budget?
I currently have a managed VPS that runs me about $160/month. I am not sure if I should stay with VPS or not and I hope to keep the budget pretty close to that, but I have a little room to spend more for something better.

I'm not at all server savvy, and need help when problems arise with XF, so managed would be best for me, especially if someone has some experience with XF.

Starrt a conversation with @WSWD :
I will take a look. Thanks.

I currently have a managed VPS that runs me about $160/month.
:eek::eek::eek:

I think you are getting ripped off. Are you sure you didn't mean a dedicated server? That is too much. You could run 3-5 managed VPS for that money.

Please take a day off and research this for your own good.

I currently have a managed VPS that runs me about $160/month. I am not sure if I should stay with VPS or not and I hope to keep the budget pretty close to that, but I have a little room to spend more for something better.

I'm not at all server savvy, and need help when problems arise with XF, so managed would be best for me, especially if someone has some experience with XF.

I will take a look. Thanks.

I would contact @MattW from MattW Services, he can steer you in the correct direction. Here is his thread on here, you can have a browse through it and see the reviews.

:eek::eek::eek:

I think you are getting ripped off. Are you sure you didn't mean a dedicated server? That is too much. You could run 3-5 managed VPS for that money.

Please take a day off and research this for your own good.

That's not an unheard of price for a MANAGED VPS. Linode for example would tack 100 a month onto any plan for managed last I checked. Generally a cheap managed VPS starts around 60 or so. If you need help often it sure beats paying someone a 100 an hour to configure or fix things.

Yeah, as an URLJet customer I knew. I think it's more a partnership than a takeover.

Whatever, everything has been running fine, and I speak to the same helpful people from Cheyenne --- just a few hours ago one guided me via chat to delete a 2GB accumulation of files that had built up in public_html/internal_data/temp --- and I must say they are the best hosts imaginable.

I would seriously wait until something went wrong before considering moving from a very good host.

It's not like Homepage Universe is part of EIG.

Things may be going okay for you, but obviously there are others that are experiencing issues they did not have before.

3 in this thread. No doubt a tiny percentage of both hosts' combined users. You may say there are an unknown number of other unhappy customers, but who knows such an unreported number ?

URLJet are not cheap, but we have had no downtime in about 6-7 years, it runs smoothly, and they converted it from vBull to Xenforo earlier this year.

I would be very silly to panic and switch hosts --- from any host -- on the basis of unconfirmed reports of customers complaining. Most host/servers are going to have problems now and again, and one can always find complaints against any company if one doesn't look very hard. Sometimes --- not here --- very shrill complaints; like those thought-filled letters to American local news media about whichever president the writer opposes.

I have loved URLJet. Have been a customer from the very beginning, when we were on VBulletin, and they have been great for many years. No complaints.

But something has gone haywire in the last couple months. Last month I had 5 hours of downtime when everything crashed. When I asked, they told me that they had to reboot my server as my memory was full. I asked why it took so long and was told, "We're sorry for the inconvenience."and nothing more. I thought that was really strange, but maybe there was something else going on. Not a huge deal. We were back up and everything was running great. No complaints, so I shrugged it off as an anomaly.

In that same ticket, they said I had to move to a new server. After some questions, I was told I had already been moved, but they needed to shut down XF and "sync" my site to the new server. I scheduled that for Friday 4pm PST. Long story short, I have not had a functional site since then.

I was completely down for the better part of 25 hours. Finally got a guy who got us back online and limping last night. Today, it's barely usable. It's taking 30 seconds to load a page. Making a post is a total crapshoot. If you're able to make one with out getting an error, it's probably a double post. Posting images is awful. Moderating is nearly impossible as so many different pages have to load in the process of even deleting one of the duplicates, chances are you will never make it though all the steps and have to start over.

I keep telling them in ticket and chat, but nobody seems to be doing anything to fix it. I'm totally at a loss, but this is totally nothing I have ever seen from them.

I'm going to go ahead and say that's a problem. I'm sorry if my language in this post is shrill, that is not my intention, but I am pretty sure you'd be freaking out a bit if your site had been basically unusable since Friday afternoon. :)

I have loved URLJet. Have been a customer from the very beginning, when we were on VBulletin, and they have been great for many years. No complaints.

But something has gone haywire in the last couple months.

To be fair, you are on a VPS [ which should give a better experience, but sometimes not ] whereas we are on Shared Hosting at about $335 for 2 years., their lowest rung.

I'm going to go ahead and say that's a problem. I'm sorry if my language in this post is shrill, that is not my intention, but I am pretty sure you'd be freaking out a bit if your site had been basically unusable since Friday afternoon. :)

Indeed.

That's not an unheard of price for a MANAGED VPS. Linode for example would tack 100 a month onto any plan for managed last I checked. Generally a cheap managed VPS starts around 60 or so. If you need help often it sure beats paying someone a 100 an hour to configure or fix things.
Linode is probably a top 5 hosting company in the western world, nice comparison.
Even then, their highest standard plan includes this: 16 GB Ram, 6 CPU Cores and 320 GB SSD for 80$ and plus 100 that would make 180$, so almost the same amount money she is paying. That would be one of the best companies in the world.

Again, for that monthly price you can get easily anywhere a really good your own managed dedicated server.

Of course it depends on what specs you need and what you run on the server. But again, for that money you can get up to 5 managed VPS if you just host a XF forum and have a small/medium sized board. Not my money, I just wanted to inform her.

Have a forum on Urljet.com / homepage universe . Nothing but downtime and run around. Right now my site is down and Urljet.com is as well. Really sweating here . Anyone have contact info besides their 1888 number ?

Top Bottom