Thanks for making the Avatar changes.

I would still like to see transparent Avatars supported, but at least we can finally use .png Avatars properly, as opposed to having them (badly) converted to .jpg.

That's all.
Yay, clear Sandslash. :D

I was also quite happy to see the change here; I stuck the little mascot from my logo as my avatar on the dev board and it's looking much nicer now. :)

I posted this on the suggestion thread but it's probably worth re-posting here:
  • .png files are now preserved as .png
  • .jpg quality has been increased
  • .gif animations are now visible in the member card
These changes are not applied retrospectively to existing avatars.

You know, Leaving the forums free from animated Avatar is a good idea. just the profile page and the member card is sufficient.

My opinion

I don't mean this in any kind of a snotty way, but ... so? Why should your opinion on animated avatars mean that I don't want or need that option? My board members want the option, therefore I want the option, and what anyone else thinks about it means nothing to me because the only opinion that matters is, my board members want the option.

I don't mean this in any kind of a snotty way, but ... so? Why should your opinion on animated avatars mean that I don't want or need that option? My board members want the option, therefore I want the option, and what anyone else thinks about it means nothing to me because the only opinion that matters is, my board members want the option.

So am I to be excluded to be one of your board members ?

It is my opinion ;)
.... So let say in a restaurant some people want to smoke ... would you let them smoke just because they want to smoke ?

So am I to be excluded to be one of your board members ?

It is my opinion ;)
.... So let say in a restaurant some people want to smoke ... would you let them smoke just because they want to smoke ?

That's a false argument as I'm sure you know - for one thing, I'm pretty sure there's no documented Second Hand Animation problem. :D

I know it's just your opinion, but I want to make it clear that it's just your opinion. Sometimes the opinions are stated in a "case closed" kind of a way, like everyone should just move on now - but I still want the option of animated gifs.

That's a false argument as I'm sure you know - for one thing, I'm pretty sure there's no documented Second Hand Animation problem. :D

I know it's just your opinion, but I want to make it clear that it's just your opinion. Sometimes the opinions are stated in a "case closed" kind of a way, like everyone should just move on now - but I still want the option of animated gifs.

common courtesy says that you should cater for all of you members.

So :
1. having animation will bother few of your members.
2. having no animation will not bother any of your members

now pick your option :)

Again this is how I think and operate :D

common courtesy says that you should cater for all of you members.

So :
1. having animation will bother few of your members.
2. having no animation will not bother any of your members

now pick your option :)

Again this is how I think and operate :D

I have a very small but very close-knit community and we've been together for five years now - longer if you count the original board we all came from. One of our traditions is the secret santa avatar exchange - we pick a name out of a hat (so to speak) and make a holiday avatar for that person. Since we've been doing this for so long, everyone looks forward to hauling out the previous years' avatars and 'wearing' them throughout December. But we can't do that this year, because nearly all of them are animated, and the animation is a chief element - snow and twinkle lights, for example.

That is one of the many reasons why I would like to be able to use animated avatars.

I have to agree with Blandt here; animated avatars are distracting when reading posts, and it can even make reading almost impossible for some disabled people. Others will find it just very annoying. The best solution is: keep them in the profiles and profile cards. And I applaud the devs for not adding it as a feature, as this will improve the UX on all XF powered forums.

If this will be introduced as add-on, then I hope it allows members to disable it.

For some reason I said that we (admins) should have a way to enable or disable animated gifs, people if bothered, could disable them on their properties, this is good for a small community that is only looking for fun, like mine and many others, but having animated gifs on big communities that have a lot of members might get too much distractive, though I disagree with that, because a user is there to read the content, if he's not interested he would not be on the forums at all.

Top Bottom