[TH] Hotspots [Deleted]

Hello @Redh, it is $50.00USD. Please take alook at this link for more information - https://www.themehouse.com/xenforo/branding-removal @Ernest L. Defoe good call as your right! Includes all our themes and add-on's.

Aren't they seperate? $50 for addons and then $50 for themes? I know I paid separate. Well I got the universal branding removal on the old site that was $250 that I thought covered both but apparently didn't.

You're right it's a straight $50 that covers both. I got jipped. Lol I paid a total of $300 for branding removal.

I have just purchased this - here is some feedback:

1. You should specify that it is the Google Maps JavaScript API that is required. There are 16 Google Maps APIs, and it took a few attempts to get it working.

2. Custom maps do not appear to be able to zoom in and out, only scroll. Can this be fixed?

3. The "Create New Hotspot" page has a lot of fields that not everyone may require, and may not make complete sense to the end user. Please allow an options page to enable or disable these so only the fields we want are displayed. For example, I do not need Address, Website, Thread URL, or Image URL.

4. Adding a new category requires an Icon URL and a Shadow URL (?). This is confusing, and a drop down of included pins would have been easier, including an option to upload a custom pin image.

5. Categories seem to be forming a legend at the top explaining what the different markers are for. It seems with several categories this will get messy. It may be nicer to have a proper Legend box below the map listing these more clearly.

6. It would be nice if we could click these category / legend names and have it display only these pins on the map.

7. Current Markers, Latitude, Longitude, Zoom would be better placed below the map, not above it.

8. If I add a category specific to a node map, it should only be listed on that specific node map. At the moment it also appears on the default /hotspots/ map when creating a new hotspot.

9. The Node category listings are sparse - they look ugly.

I hope this helps - I do not feel ready to put this on my live website just yet, but the above improvements would go a long way to making this more user-friendly. Thanks!

Last edited:
is it possible to have a hot spot link to a thread? like, maybe have the thread automatically created when posting a hot spot...?

You mean like the Resource Manager does where it adds the "Discussion" tab? I think that'd be a good idea, will have to take a look into it to see what all would be required :)

is it possible to have a hot spot link to a thread? like, maybe have the thread automatically created when posting a hot spot...?
Currently you are able to comment on individual hotspots and we are gonna stick with that for now :) Since that already exists it wouldn't make sense to have both as it would make things confusing for the end user as well as requiring a lot of new code that may complicate everything.

You mean like the Resource Manager does where it adds the "Discussion" tab? I think that'd be a good idea, will have to take a look into it to see what all would be required :)

Well, I think there would be a lot of potential for a map-based location discussion, or even a map-based wiki if combined with the wiki posts addon.

Personally, I run a travel website, so having a central map where users can add locations and then discuss those locations would be pretty neat.

I like it when addons create threads like this since it gives a reverse way to find the map if they come though via searching though threads or a google search. Etc...

Well, I think there would be a lot of potential for a map-based location discussion, or even a map-based wiki if combined with the wiki posts addon.

Personally, I run a travel website, so having a central map where users can add locations and then discuss those locations would be pretty neat.

I like it when addons create threads like this since it gives a reverse way to find the map if they come though via searching though threads or a google search. Etc...
I'll see what I can do to implement it in the near future but commenting would provide those features.

A friendly user has told me some details about the addon. It seems there is only one list for all pins.
With that we can play a little, but to have a real function we should have nested categories to choose lists.

If you want to show all bakerys around the world it makes no sense to have one list.
We need continents, countries, cities for example.

If we want to pin a whole city, we need all kind of categories also.

So, please think about to take the functions from another of your addons to build categories and show lists always inside them.
Probalby you will code this in two hours, right?

Then you will have a real strong addon with wonderful ways to use.

If some people would like to have such an addon (or more ideas), please let´s open a private discussion to spend some money together and ask Themehouse to improve the addon.

If some people would like to have such an addon (or more ideas), please let´s open a private discussion to spend some money together and ask Themehouse to improve the addon.
I don´t see the point, why this should be necessary. An improved and stable Addon sells better and creates a return on investement and satisfied customers will keep coming back for more. If they are clever, they will add the functions to the Addon and will sell this as "Hotspots Pro" for a reasonable price. But the interest in such an Addon is existent here too for a long time.

+1. This is another great idea to improve this Addon.

Don't believe this is on our product porting list right now, but if we consider it you all will be the first to know! :)

Looks like I am going to have to pay another developer to develop it AGAIN for me.

I paid a developer to create it for me in vb many years ago and I owned it

When I moved to XF I passed my code on to a developer to convert it to XF and paid him as well and I was suppose to own it again as it was MY CODE

That developer then released my converted code that I had paid for for free

He then passed it on to you people who are now making money from it

And now it is not likely to be updated after you have made money from MY CODE that has cost me a lot over many years

Is it any wonder I don't trust most XF developers.

Did you have a contract with the previous developer stating they had absolutely no rights to the code that only you retained rights and they could not give it away as their own?

Yes, by email, not a formal contract but a statement that I owned the code and that I would provide that code for him to convert it to XF code for me.

After he took my money and then later said, and I quote word for word from him "he owns the code, oops, sorry I didn't tell you"

Then your grievance is with the other developer. Either way you would be in the same boat, you would have to pay a developer to update your code to work with XF2.

Yes I know but he had no right to release it as his own or pass it on to anyone else. I now whenever possible get developers outside of XF to develop my addons and not release them. As another way around this I have also tried to help developers on many occasions by offering to pay developers to develop an addon for me on the condition that they can release it with any purchases going to me only up to the recouping of my initial investment then they receive ALL income from then. I have even offered a 50/50 till I recoup my investment so they get paid from me PLUS they get an income from the addon. But no developer has accepted this.

I have several addons that I paid to get developed outside the XF development community which need to be upgraded to v2 including a complete bridge SSO to a popular and very powerful shopping cart solution, a full web page RSS reader, and others but no XF developer is interested so they stay with me

Top Bottom