[TH] Featured Threads and Content Portal

[TH] Featured Threads and Content Portal 1.0.6

No permission to download
$80 with $40 renewals is a BIG price hike fellas. Brogan's original addon was ~$45-50, depending on the exchange rate, with renewals at ~$15-20. I'm all for inflation but that seems a bit extreme.
I different agree it very extreme

$80 for an addon like this is just simply too much
I totally agree with you :( For me $80 is also too much. We are lucky that we still can find similar add-ons (not exactly same but nearly have similar features) with only half price.

Please don’t misunderstand me. As developers I am sure you think that it deserves its price. But as forum site owner we still have to think the addon prices.

Last edited:
Yeah $80 for this add-on is way too much. If it was a custom add-on then fair enough but you are going to get a few sales from this and there are much complex add-ons that are a lot of cheaper on here. They've seen that it's a well requested add-on and have taken their opportunity here. I guess they just want to make the big bucks $$$. Fair play to them.

Last edited:
At CTA-FTP by brogan i found two useful feature for me and after try demo, this my suggestion :
  • add edit featured on more option menu, curently addon not have edit option, its useful if i need a change a option in curently featured thread.
  • choose background image from first attached image (and can be applied automatically).
Thanks.

Thanks very much for the reply, Jake.
There is an importer included for his add-on. It is currently labelled as beta though since the testing was limited to some test content I had created myself so there very well could be some edge cases. I'd definitely recommend testing it first to make sure there aren't any major issues (which I assume you would be doing anyways with such a major upgrade - so it shouldn't make too much of a difference :) )
I ran the importer and it brought in 26 threads. Can I help with your testing process by sharing any of the data with you?

It adds a couple of columns to xf_thread and xf_poll so it shouldn't be touching any table too terribly massive (like xf_post, or xf_reaction_content, for example)
Our threads table has over 2 million rows in it. Could the installation process perhaps take this in to account?
There are a couple ways this could be handled, we have two widgets: a grid and a slider. However, neither of these support the node context currently. I've created an issue for that here.
Many thanks.
Could you elaborate on what you mean?
We only use the Featured Threads addon to sell Featured promotional threads to advertisers. These sit at the top of the thread list in the forum view. It's like selling a 'super sticky'. Because we sell them, we can't migrate to XF2 until we have this functionality.
I think this is reasonable, looks like it's just an oversight on our end. Have created an issue here!
Excellent, thanks.

Observation following the import of the XF1 data - featured threads and polls are treated as separate entities even when they are the same thread:
1.jpg
Which is going to confuse viewers.
Could they instead be combined into one element when from the same thread?
Or is there another way to deal with this?

Would be nice to make this just like CTA on the homepage
  • auto start slider options.
  • Enable/disable filter option
  • Enable/disable content options
  • Enable/disable widgets from forum home
  • Magazine layout options
Now my test forum homepage is a bit empty when set as...

I just checked and about two thirds of the emails have been delivered, so hopefully anyone waiting should receive an email soon.
How long will the coupon be active? Is there a limit of time for that?

You would have to ask ThemeHouse as it's their coupon.

I'm not aware of any specific time limit though.

Reactions: sbj
I ran the importer and it brought in 26 threads. Can I help with your testing process by sharing any of the data with you?

Hm, I assume you had more than 26 featured threads previously? Could you create a ticket at themehouse.com and send us a dump of the featured threads table?

Our threads table has over 2 million rows in it. Could the installation process perhaps take this in to account?

Unfortunately there really isn't a whole lot we can do to take this into account as all we're doing is adding a column, you can try installing through CLI using php cmd.php xf:addon-install ThemeHouse/Feature if it causes issues using the browser version

We only use the Featured Threads addon to sell Featured promotional threads to advertisers. These sit at the top of the thread list in the forum view. It's like selling a 'super sticky'. Because we sell them, we can't migrate to XF2 until we have this functionality.

Ah okay, so just getting the widgets to support forum context should solve this for you I think, right?

Observation following the import of the XF1 data - featured threads and polls are treated as separate entities even when they are the same thread:
View attachment 204997
Which is going to confuse viewers.
Could they instead be combined into one element when from the same thread?
Or is there another way to deal with this?

This was done intentionally so you can feature one or both separately if you want (for example, if you wanted the poll to show up on the page, but the thread to show up on a widget somewhere else). However, if you feature the poll it will still just link to the thread, so I think that will accomplish what you're after and behaves similarly to if you had featured both with the XF1 add-on since you get the poll to display in the block as well as the normal excerpt you can set

• auto start slider options.

What do you mean, exactly?

• Enable/disable filter option
  • Enable/disable content options

So just a toggle for the filter sidenav? Seems reasonable enough, I'll get an issue created for it

• Enable/disable widgets from forum home

This is already possible in Appearance -> Widgets :)

• Magazine layout options

Could you provide an example of what you mean on this one?

How long will the coupon be active? Is there a limit of time for that?

I don't think there is a specific limit in place, but tagging @Mike Creuzer to confirm

Last edited:
I agree with you all on the price. We will lower the price to $59.95 when I get back from my trip. I'll retroactively apply that change in price to all who purchased.

The 50% coupon I was keeping for a year I think for anyone who owned Brogan's add-on. Wasn't too worried about that.

I agree with you all on the price. We will lower the price to $59.95 when I get back from my trip. I'll retroactively apply that change in price to all who purchased.

The 50% coupon I was keeping for a year I think for anyone who owned Brogan's add-on. Wasn't too worried about that.

I think we should raise the price back up. Fewer people will buy, ThemeHouse will be less bogged down with tickets and there will be more time to respond to tickets and develop new software and updates.

Could I pay for a ThemeHouse SLA? Seriously.

---

@Mike Creuzer Is this the software you guys were making as the alternative to XPress? Also I wasn't really able to understand what exactly could be featured. Can you select specific posts? Can you feature a thread but write your own text to behave as the first post and link to the old thread like how XPress works now? I've requested a demo so this question may answer itself shortly.

Last edited:
@Mike Creuzer Is this the software you guys were making as the alternative to XPress? Also I wasn't really able to understand what exactly could be featured. Can you select specific posts? Can you feature a thread but write your own text to behave as the first post and link to the old thread like how XPress works now? I've requested a demo
It's an alternative, yeah. Our large board clients have preferred having WordPress but most of the people here at XenForo.com are not knowledgeable in the many complications of a bridge and I don't blame them. This is all xenforo and gives the look and feel similar to XPress articles. You can feature any thread, poll, and we are adding support for resources and media. We may add reviews as well.

You can only feature threads but yes you can change the excerpt.
I think we should raise the price back up. Fewer people will buy, ThemeHouse will be less bogged down with tickets and there will be more time to respond to tickets and develop new software and updates.

Could I pay for a ThemeHouse SLA? Seriously.
Well, it's not a crazy remark. It's an unfortunate truth. We only have so much time. It's a reason we keep prices high, beyond the amount of time and quality put in, demand of course. I just felt that since this product was built by someone else I should honor their price more closely. It'll help the community more as well.

You absolutely can purchase an SLA, the vast majority of our business comes from these agreements or retainers for work. Large boards hire us to maintain their software from top to bottom. If you do want this, we can definitely do a custom agreement for anyone who needs this and wants to have a means to get more dedicated development time.

I'm no large board, but maybe more like a priority ticket type guy. I wouldn't need incident resolution guarantees but definitely can envision paying a fee to have my tickets on the surface.

I've played around with the demo.... I like it. XPress is working quite well for me however I'm trying to avoid making suggestions that boil down to you building wordpress inside of XenForo.

One thing I spent a few minutes trying to figure out: How do I ditch that filter block on the left?

I want the featured page to have more display options such as: List(With thumbnail), Masonry, etc

For example if I delete this:

Also, how to control how many featured slots in the grid widget? I only require three for example.

For some reason I'm unable to get first post article format?

Nor are there any reply options to test Post Comments?

Top Bottom