Implemented  - Test usergroup permissions as admin

Russ

I made a seperate thread due even though this idea was brought up here:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-admin-option-login-as-user.1437/

Brogan originally brought the idea to attention but it does seem as if everyone is still posting about admins logging in as users :cool:

ACTUAL IDEA:
Any who... other software already have this ability and I love it, I've used it so many times.
Basically the idea behind it is an admin can click on a user-group in the admin panel to obtain the same permissions as that group. This would allow the admin to quickly browse over permissions of different groups in a live mode rather than viewing tabled information that could be overlooked potentially. Somewhere on the page as you're browsing there's a simple "Revert permissions" or "Back to admin" which would restore your permissions.
// ACTUAL IDEA

Some say this should be a hack or an add-on but I would rather trust the developers to implement this haha :).

Some will also say - just make an account to test out the privileges - well so many features that are built into software are put there for EASE.

Thoughts?

IMPLEMENTED!

I've attached some screenshots in my post here

Upvote 5
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Meh... I'd rather test in another browser with the test user. That way I can make adjustments, and immediately test AS a member of that user group. Having a button that reverts back to Admin just doesn't strike me as being secure.

How hard it is just to make a test account?

On a forum like mine I have tons of different usergroups that have different access. I would need to go in and reset the user to the new usergroup each time I'm testing something.

Again... features are built for the use of ease, things are put on the forum to make it easier for admins.

This is how it appears in phpBB.
You view a member's profile and the link is on that profile page: "Test out user's permissions"

perms.webp

When you're finished, you just click on the link to restore your permissions: "Restore permissions"

restore.webp

I'd prefer this over having to create a test user...

I don't like having accounts that won't really be used for anything other then testing.

I'd prefer this over having to create a test user...

I don't like having accounts that won't really be used for anything other then testing.
Same here.

Unfortunately I created test users before realising that functionality was available <facepalm>

I should also state that of course I have yet to see the permission options on XenForo so I'm not sure if this feature would even be needed. phpBB's permission system is a little whacky when it comes to terms of usability; so it was a must on there!

Even with a simple permission scheme, something like this might just bring a bit of peace to an admin to make sure they've set things up properly.

We have a very powerful permission system, but power can bring complexity. I think this is a good approach to dealing with it, without the privacy-type issues of actually logging into the account. While a test account works, it can be hard to replicate everything (such as user-specific permissions).

I was tweaking my permissions on FaceBook earlier and I was using the "Preview My Profile as user X" Feature. I was thinking it would make a great addition to xenForo, being able to quickly preview and see things as a particular user, or usergroup.

I thought that was well, except there was one important functionality that made it differ from actually logging in.

Login as user is more administrative where as Preview as User is more User-Oriented.
Within that discussion, others brought up different ways of achieving similar functionality, including previewing the forum from a particular user's standpoint.

It is a different suggestion from the referenced link, but at the core they may possibly be the same. As this suggestion focuses on usergroups it should be left separate.

Personally, I think this idea is pretty good, especially at the usergroup level. I can see it removing many potential headaches from an Admin stand point, without members being concerned with privacy issues.

Good suggestion, does remove some doubts of both users and forum staff - although, are there any FaceBook restrictions lying around?

Top Bottom