Implemented  - Test usergroup permissions as admin

Russ

I made a seperate thread due even though this idea was brought up here:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-admin-option-login-as-user.1437/

Brogan originally brought the idea to attention but it does seem as if everyone is still posting about admins logging in as users :cool:

ACTUAL IDEA:
Any who... other software already have this ability and I love it, I've used it so many times.
Basically the idea behind it is an admin can click on a user-group in the admin panel to obtain the same permissions as that group. This would allow the admin to quickly browse over permissions of different groups in a live mode rather than viewing tabled information that could be overlooked potentially. Somewhere on the page as you're browsing there's a simple "Revert permissions" or "Back to admin" which would restore your permissions.
// ACTUAL IDEA

Some say this should be a hack or an add-on but I would rather trust the developers to implement this haha :).

Some will also say - just make an account to test out the privileges - well so many features that are built into software are put there for EASE.

Thoughts?

IMPLEMENTED!

I've attached some screenshots in my post here

Upvote 5
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Even with a simple permission scheme, something like this might just bring a bit of peace to an admin to make sure they've set things up properly.

We have a very powerful permission system, but power can bring complexity. I think this is a good approach to dealing with it, without the privacy-type issues of actually logging into the account. While a test account works, it can be hard to replicate everything (such as user-specific permissions).

Right. Many times I had to use 2 different browsers to test things on my vB platform, because it was not possible to stay logged in as admin and login with a test account in a new browser-[tab]. Most of the times this hassle of being forced to use 2 browsers irritated me (like discussed here 5 years ago... I guess Feldon is still deeply dreaming ;)) and I think a default solution for this would prove to be very handy for a lot of admins really.

I hope more people press [Like] on the first posting.

Right. Many times I had to use 2 different browsers to test things on my vB platform, because it was not possible to stay logged in as admin and login with a test account in a new browser-[tab]. Most of the times this hassle of being forced to use 2 browsers irritated me (like discussed here 5 years ago... I guess Feldon is still deeply dreaming ;)) and I think a default solution for this would prove to be very handy for a lot of admins really.

I hope more people press [Like] on the first posting.
I guess this was already implemented, check the Test Permissions link under the Users tab in the Admin CP.

BTW, you can use one browser for browsing forum from two different accounts, just having second window opened in privacy mode (I guess all modern browsers already support it).

I guess this was already implemented, check the Test Permissions link under the Users tab in the Admin CP.
Technically the suggestion was for testing 'usergroup' permissions, but since every user is in a usergroup, what already exists works. In my opinion, better than what was requested.

I didn't purchase XF (yet...) :).

BTW, you can use one browser for browsing forum from two different accounts, just having second window opened in privacy mode (I guess all modern browsers already support it).

I never knew this. I am gonna to check it out: thanks!

Thanks for putting this in, works perfect that I can tell so far, and exactly how I'd want it. Thanks to those who supported it.

Here are some screenshots of it in use.

In admin panel:

test1.webp

Top right once testing is in use:
test2.webp

Confirm reset to original permissions:
test3.webp

Thanks for putting this in, works perfect that I can tell so far, and exactly how I'd want it. Thanks to those who supported it.
Here are some screenshots of it in use.

This is just so great! (*grasps wallet to buy 2 licenses*). Thanks for these screenshots, much appreciated!

Top Bottom