XF 2.0 Test upgrade 1.5.9 to 2.0.10 erased all my data ..what's the right way ?

You must have wiped out some data in the upload process -- this is why the "merging" concept in uploading is so important, though how that's exposed depends on your upload client. It shouldn't be deleting any files when it uploads.

Most specifically, you probably wiped out the contents of your data/ and internal_data/ directories. The internal_data/install-lock.php file most specifically. Though if you entered your MySQL info, then you also wiped out your existing library/config.php file -- that needs to remain (so we can generate a new one).

I think I know what the problem is. I think somehow the upgrade script is buggy (but I haven't tested it in full scope to be sure).
I also had multiple times the same problem, when I tried to upgrade my localhost installations.
The solution is NOT to upgrade to 2.0.x versions.
You should first upgrade to 2.0.0 version. And later from 2.0.0 you can upgrade to 2.0.x.
That trick worked for me.

@Mike I have used Transmit on mac, and there was no option to merge, only replace so that might be it.

Thanx for the tip @sbj I'll try that also.

I'll do a new test on a duplicate of my forum and report back.

Mehdi

@Mike I have used Transmit on mac, and there was no option to merge, only replace so that might be it.

Thanx for the tip @sbj I'll try that also.

I'll do a new test on a duplicate of my forum and report back.

Mehdi

Transmit DEFINITELY has a merge option for folders. It's what I've used from Day 1 with XF and "merge" is definitely what you need to click.

I think I know what the problem is. I think somehow the upgrade script is buggy (but I haven't tested it in full scope to be sure).
I also had multiple times the same problem, when I tried to upgrade my localhost installations.
The solution is NOT to upgrade to 2.0.x versions.
You should first upgrade to 2.0.0 version. And later from 2.0.0 you can upgrade to 2.0.x.
That trick worked for me.
It's definitely not buggy and upgrading to 2.0.0 is definitely not required.

As was proved to be the situation here, (and has always been the case in my experience), it was just an issue with the uploading of the files so the issue there lies with the FTP client.

That's definitely true.

The only difference between the full and upgrade files is that we remove data, internal_data and .htaccess files from the upgrade package.

It's likely this scenario would have only happened if the full files were used which isn't appropriate for an upgrade.

I definitely downloaded the upgrade files, the checkbox is even checked by default @Chris D .
And I tried again now this time with "merge", no file was deleted, everything went as it should ..

Yet, again when launching /install it asks me to configure (fill in the mysql info) and download a new config.php even though there is the original one in library/config.php @Mike , and then it wants to force me again to delete everything :

Verify_configuration___XenForo.webp

Mehdi

If you don't have a library/config.php or the internal_data/install-lock.php file, then the upload hasn't merged as expected. (You should confirm that you have those before you start setting up the 2.0 files -- they're both important files in XF1.)

If you do have those files, then you shouldn't actually be able to do a new install -- the latter file actually blocks that.

If you don't have a library/config.php or the internal_data/install-lock.php file, then the upload hasn't merged as expected. (You should confirm that you have those before you start setting up the 2.0 files -- they're both important files in XF1.)

If you do have those files, then you shouldn't actually be able to do a new install -- the latter file actually blocks that.

I figured it out ! Somewhere along the lines I was asked to delete the installation-lock.php to allow the installation, because when I got to index.php?install/ it says this was blocking, but then it doesn't tell me to go back to the initial stage .. so I was stuck in between.

The doc would benefit from an FAQ to emphasize all these recurring issues (merge, install-lock, etc ..) ...

Anyway, solved, thank you all for your help (y)

Mehdi

Hmm, I don't see it by default, but thanx for the info, i'll look into it !

EDIT : you're right @RobParker ! it does offer it for folders, I was blinded by the initial alert for files! Thank you!

View attachment 186888

Mehdi
Go to Transmit preferences:

1541342991193.webp

Make sure the "Uploading folders" is set to Merge, so it never asks you and you never have the chance of clicking the wrong thing.

Fillip

Top Bottom