Terms and Rules Update

My guess is that (using your work as an example) - if you posted a smiley pack, they could then include that smiley pack in the core product.

I've bolded the bit which made me think that, though the underlined bit made me think on it too.

Yeah unfortunately I'm not really wanting to play the guessing game and would like a response regarding this question which is directed to the person (people) that have enforced the guidelines/rules. I'd hate to think this all means that we (resource providers are automatically granting anyone to re-publish our works). As with xenforo the product it has it's own set of rules and guidelines/terms of use as do our own works.

Can you please explain this further? Are you saying you can (we grant you permission) to post derivatives of other peoples resources?
My guess is that (using your work as an example) - if you posted a smiley pack, they could then include that smiley pack in the core product.
No. We don't have rights to derivatives or anything like that (as you maintain copyright). Re-publishing really just relates to moving the content into another location; think about those portals that promote content. (Just as a reference, these are now the default terms that ship with XenForo. Nothing here is designed to be specific to us.)

We wouldn't use your content in XenForo itself without express permission. We wouldn't (and couldn't) attribute your work to someone else or anything like that. Nothing really changes in that regard.

No. We don't have rights to derivatives or anything like that (as you maintain copyright). Re-publishing really just relates to moving the content into another location; think about those portals that promote content. (Just as a reference, these are now the default terms that ship with XenForo. Nothing here is designed to be specific to us.)

We wouldn't use your content in XenForo itself without express permission. We wouldn't (and couldn't) attribute your work to someone else or anything like that. Nothing really changes in that regard.

Okay I was more concerned that if a member posted derivative works of others where re-published is mentioned and this could be classed as "re-published" in that sense. Thanks Mike that was my main concern answered.

Everybody in a frenzy. They don't run this site like a certain competitor of theirs.
"because of xenfans" <-- lol, so pathetic.

Everybody in a frenzy.
I don't think you can assign everybody into the "frenzy" category based on the comment from ONE individual.
The feedback regarding the change in Terms and Rules have largely been constructive - and resulted in some minor changes for clarification purposes.

this looks like a great time to revoice my wish for functionality that would force members to click the 'i agree' button again on the terms and rules when they are updated.

I'd love to be able to do that to GET RID OF THAT DANG NOTICE!
I read it, I read the Rules, I've read this thread - carefully, I do read carefully/
So why do I have to have the great blue wotsit staring me in the face still?

I'd love to be able to do that to GET RID OF THAT DANG NOTICE!
I read it, I read the Rules, I've read this thread - carefully, I do read carefully/
So why do I have to have the great blue wotsit staring me in the face still?
Right side of the notice when you hover: Click the x.

It should be worth noting that any T&C's that state users are responsible for the content they post, are often redundant outside of your own jurisdiction, and often within. You can say it, you can make users agree to it, but courts often rule against website owners in cases even if you have this disclaimer. Germany is a prime example where courts have repeatedly ruled against website owners recently, and held them responsible for the content their users post.

This is our TOS, in case someone is interested in a more all-inclusive alternative:

You must not post, attach or link to any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, offensive, abusive, threatening, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, racist, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International laws and regulations. You must not post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material. Spam, p***, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are forbidden on this forum.
You must not post just to increase your post count. Also, do not post the same discussion more than once. Duplicate threads are annoying for other community members, especially for those whose time is limited. Duplicate discussions will be deleted without notice.

Forum staff and owner(s), also known as moderators and administrator(s), cannot warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information presented. The posted messages express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of this forum, its staff, its subsidiaries, or the forum owner(s).

Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify an administrator or moderator of this forum immediately. The staff and the owner(s) of this forum reserve the right to remove objectionable content, within a reasonable time frame, if they determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, so please understand that they may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. This policy applies to member profile information as well.

You remain solely responsible for the content of your posted messages. Furthermore, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless the owners of this forum, any related websites to this forum, its staff, and its subsidiaries. The owners of this forum also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or any other related information collected on this service) in the event of a formal complaint or legal action arising from any situation caused by your use of this forum.

You must not post just to increase your post count

Well that sounds a little misleading, some people from other countries might read that as meaning literally "don't post".

Everybody in a frenzy. They don't run this site like a certain competitor of theirs.
"because of xenfans" <-- lol, so pathetic.

Eh? Is that directed at me? I didn't think it was much of a stretch to link together all the xenfans content being removed with no explanation (and people being left confused/worried about where they stand) and then the next day new rules being posted stating that you agree to give XF more rights in distributing your content. These rules could easily be interpreted as XF trying to stop devs just removing their content from here (as has happened with a few popular addons already).

I still don't think we've had clarification of what "Content" covers in these rules but Mike said it was just coincidence that this happened when it did, so fair enough.

Like I said before, I hope everything's ok and look forward to you contributing stuff again :-)

It should be worth noting that any T&C's that state users are responsible for the content they post, are often redundant outside of your own jurisdiction, and often within. You can say it, you can make users agree to it, but courts often rule against website owners in cases even if you have this disclaimer. Germany is a prime example where courts have repeatedly ruled against website owners recently, and held them responsible for the content their users post.

If the forum is not open to public view but only to registered members as in a Club - does this make a difference?
Essentially my members are only communicating with each other, not publishing to public view.
Nor is there any open registration. Anyone wanting to join is either invited by me or contacts me to ask.

Top Bottom