Tapatalk offers BYO APP...cheap

tommydamic68

I just received this email from Tapatalk yesterday offering different tiers of the BYO APP. Anyone jump on it? Thoughts?

BYO Update

Lower Price. No more app store submissions.

We saved the best news of the year for our last newsletter of the year. We have been listening to feedback on ways to improve the BYO program, the program that offers you a branded app for your site. We heard two themes; make BYO less expensive and also make it easier to manage app store submissions. Based on that feedback, we are announcing changes that make BYO far more affordable and easier to submit/update.

Introducing Premium - $10/mo.

We understand that BYO had two pain points: 1) cost and 2) hassle of submitting/updating the app through the app stores (plus the added cost of the developer licenses from Apple and Google). We’ve eliminated those pain points by centralizing the process, lowering the costs and eliminating the hassle.

With the new Premium option, Tapatalk will submit the your BYO branded app and updates through our developer account. You have all the benefits of the BYO branded app that you control, including:

• Your name and logo in the app stores (helping to attract new members through App Store SEO)

• Google App Indexing to improve your SEO rankings by Google (Available January, 2016)

• Control of advertising through DFP and AdMob

• WordPress Support

• Push Notifications

• Photo & Video Sharing in addition to Attachment support

• Smart Banner directing members to your BYO app

• Customization of tabs and colors

• No need to pay/renew for developer accounts at Apple/Google.

While BYO Premium will be on the Tapatalk developer account, the app and the members are yours. We will never email or contact any users of your BYO app. In the future, if you decide to move to Enterprise tier (see below), you will also be able to request app transfer back to your own developer account.

Nah i think i will skip it lol even tho my members are requesting for app i will wait until @Slavik is ready to release his app .

Yeah I didn't think $10 a month was that bad even with having to submit through their account. Saves the site admin the money of having to pay for a developer account but as stated I'll just wait for @Slavik's app.

Reactions: gfc
It's no surprise that when we released details of a quality native app that such things happen due to the huge amount of positive feedback and comments we got, it draws attention.

At the end of the day I don't compare what we are aiming to do to what the alternatives do.

Tapatalk are aiming for mass coverage on multiple forum platforms, we are not. We want our app to work on XenForo, and work flawlessly from day one, keeping everything simple, yet to the same high quality you would expect of XenForo itself.

The web-wrapper apps offer a stop-gap measure, but again its the responsive that turns people off, so why bother.

And the new Native+ idea announced, it has given us an idea actually on implementing a certain feature set, but the problem I see with that is the app itself is being farmed out to a 3rd party company/developer, where as our app is being made by 2 people who have intimate and working knowledge of XenForo, we want our app to be a high quality and affordable by everyone, not just for the "cream of the crop (aka super high income boards)" customers.

10 bucks a month?
Yes, much too high of a price. They should pay you. Mind that they are taking your content, users, data as they hook right into the database copy it to their servers and monetize on that data. They spam your users to death. And keep implementing changes at your expense to alienate your users from your site and out of your control. i.e. from your site to their platform. They are the ones benefiting from it in many ways. So yes even $120 a year is too expensive for what they are doing.

In my opinion this is still not worth it, I was one of the customers back when the price was higher and you had to use your own account. Support was non existent and the quality was terrible for something that they required an upfront cost and then 69/mo.

Highly with much anticipation for @Slavik's generously priced app. At least I'll trust him to keep xenforo in mind.

I also stay with @Slavik his offer just because I trust him the most.
I don't trust the other app developers. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

I'm reading good stuff about Slavik his work all the time and I'm sure he will deliver a good working app when it's ready. :)

If yours is anything like this I wouldn't be interested. Why does one need a button on a cell phone to bring you to a website and it is still just the good "OLD" responsive look which no once cares for really. Tapatalk functions well as is. Hopefully its similar to TT? Function- look wise?

Absolutely not, the other app is a web wrapper. Ours will be closer to TT, just better :)

The web-wrapper apps offer a stop-gap measure, but again its the responsive that turns people off, so why bother.
They can use their add-ons, style, and control how their apps look, that's why.

And the new Native+ idea announced, it has given us an idea actually on implementing a certain feature set, but the problem I see with that is the app itself is being farmed out to a 3rd party company/developer, where as our app is being made by 2 people who have intimate and working knowledge of XenForo

The Native+ app is handled by a full-time app developer referred to us by people at Telerik, while the XenForo side is handled exclusively by us.

p.s.
An update, the company who I was working with on this and I have parted ways. Unfortunately I felt like they were trying to cut corners and copy the existing apps out there, opposed to listening to what I was trying to get over, eg a focus on core end user interactions and quality.

I may be wrong, but you aren't an app developer, so someone else must be coding the current incarnation.

---

We want our app to be a high quality and affordable by everyone, not just for the "cream of the crop (aka super high income boards)" customers.
You've been singing this song before Native+ was announced, meanwhile being deliberately ambiguous about your own pricing. Right now, it's $300 for one of your apps without your branding.

Prices are provisionally:
$120 a year for a shared native app with self styling [p.s. it's not actually available]
$180 a year for a forum-specific app with self styling
$300 a year for a forum-specific branding free app
Additional charges may apply for differing publish options.

These prices would be yearly paid for in advance.

Will you change that to actually be $25/mo? Nobody really knows except for you. But you can advertise caring for the everyman's board and take shots at our pricing in the meantime.

Last edited:
They can use their add-ons, style, and control how their apps look, that's why.

The Native+ app is handled by a full-time app developer referred to us by people at Telerik, while the XenForo side is handled exclusively by us.

You've been singing this song before Native+ was announced, meanwhile being deliberately ambiguous about your own pricing. Right now, it's $300 for one of your apps without your branding.

Will you change that to actually be $25/mo? Nobody really knows except for you. But you can advertise caring for the everyman's board and take shots at our pricing in the meantime.

One word: Integrity.

@Slavik has it, TT does not.

Merry Christmas

I think that it is very good that both a wrapper app and a native app will be available for xenforo. Both approaches have their benefits. Boards with a lot addons will benefit from a wrapper. A native app has clear benefits as well.

Why pay $10/mo for a free app? Everybody will still know they are using Tapatalk. Maybe if they supported polls for the extra money... I never got an answer on whether Slavik's app supported polls.

I will give credit to vbresults... he at-least showed up and produced something in the ballpark on a 5 year request.

Top Bottom