TapaTalk is now FREE

Will they make this paid once it gets out of beta or will this be permanently free?

You now know as much as I now know

Capture.webp

@Shelley if I wasnt wrong, I remember seeing they said once Tapatalk 4 is stable, it will be merged with Tapatalk HD (which indirectly means 4/HD will still be a paid app).

So if I already owned Tapatalk HD, I wont have to pay again I supposed.

@Shelley, building on what @Adam Howard said, this is the full e-mail...
Tapatalk now supports Kunena 3, Vanilla 2.1 and vBulletin 5

We're happy to announce that Tapatalk now supports Kunena 3, Vanilla 2.1 and vBulletin 5. Together with MyBB, xenForo, IPBoard, phpBB, SMF, bbPress and legacy vBulletin and Kunena, over 60,000 internet communities has activated Tapatalk.

Tapatalk BYO - DFP MREC and Interstitial Advertisement Support

Tapatalk BYO, a self-help, Build-Your-Own, branded app service now supports DFP or Admob MREC (300x250) advertisement. In addition, a full screen, DFP or Admob interstitial ads also added which can be shown at app start-up.

Get Tapatalk app for free!

To celebrate our 4th year anniversary, Tapatalk app is now completely free. Checkout Tapatalk 2 for Android in Amazon App Store, Tapatalk 4 (Beta) in Google Play, and the original Tapatalk app for iOS is also free in Apple App Store! Another reason to activate Tapatalk on your forum - get them now!
Take that how you interpret it...

How I interpret it: Once the celebration is over... I think the prices will return to what it was. I'm assuming that the celebration ends when the software (v4) is out of beta.

Last edited:
They'll have to re-release it again to change it to a paid app where the free users don't get updated to it for free.

The way those app stores work is if you "purchase" it as free, you get all rolling updates. I've had a few free apps turn paid, but I keep getting those apps updated because I got in early.

The only way around that is if they re-release it under a different listing.

This was the official email announcement, looks "free" as in "free beer" to me, including the beta.
Get Tapatalk app for free!

To celebrate our 4th year anniversary, Tapatalk app is now completely free. Checkout Tapatalk 2 for Android in Amazon App Store, Tapatalk 4 (Beta) in Google Play, and the original Tapatalk app for iOS is also free in Apple App Store! Another reason to activate Tapatalk on your forum - get them now!

I have the paid version. I think the beta version is pretty sweet though, and supports xenForo's post ratings, at least the "like" post rating.

Much better than dying Forum Runner, and Tapatalk support is using xenForo, if that's important to anybody.

Last edited:
Did anyone notice you cannot upload attachments/attach images to forums via Tapatalk anymore? When you try, it now says:

We've Upgraded!

To improve our image hosting service, you're now required to sign-in to Tapatalk ID. Tapatalk ID is a free services that saves your favourite forum settings with a single identity

Cancle [SIC] Sign In

Right. Because I am going to sign up with their services and share my administrator logins with them. To upload images. Big fail.

Right. Because I am going to sign up with their services and share my administrator logins with them. To upload images. Big fail.
Tapatalk ID doesn't share your login details with them, only which forums you use with Tapatalk so that when you log in to Tapatalk ID, it shows you a list of them. You need to log into each forum after this as you would normally.

I switched off the Tapatalk attachment hosting for my forum. If folk want to upload an attachment, it's uploaded onto the forum.

Tapatalk ID doesn't share your login details with them, only which forums you use with Tapatalk so that when you log in to Tapatalk ID, it shows you a list of them. You need to log into each forum after this as you would normally.

Thanks for the clarification.

I switched off the Tapatalk attachment hosting for my forum. If folk want to upload an attachment, it's uploaded onto the forum.

Yes, that's reasonable. But can your members upload without Tapatalk ID? Until now, I was able to upload attachments to forums directly via Tapatalk. Now when I try, at least the forum I tested it with (XDA devs), it shows the "you need Tapatalk ID" notice posted above.

Yes, that's reasonable. But can your members upload without Tapatalk ID? Until now, I was able to upload attachments to forums directly via Tapatalk. Now when I try, at least the forum I tested it with (XDA devs), it shows the "you need Tapatalk ID" notice posted above.

Yes they can upload attachments directly to my forum without Tapatalk ID. My partner who doesn't have Tapatalk ID just tested this.

Were your attachments actually uploaded to XDA or were they uploaded to Tapatalk hosting? Forum owners have an option in the Tapatalk forum owners area called "Hosted Image Support" which, if enabled, will "allow your forum member easily insert images to your forum, even when you have disabled attachment support. If you do not want your members to upload images to our server. You can disable it here." Maybe XDA have that enabled?

@Martok, like @AlexT whenever I attempt to upload an image/attachment with the new TT v 4 I'm required to login with a TapaTalk ID. Sorry but not happening.

Edit: I only allow attachments to be uploaded to my forum and NOT be hosted on TT's servers.

@Martok, like @AlexT whenever I attempt to upload an image/attachment with the new TT v 4 I'm required to login with a TapaTalk ID. Sorry but not happening.

Edit: I only allow attachments to be uploaded to my forum and NOT be hosted on TT's servers.
Ah. Seems that's a 'feature' of Tapatalk 4. My test was with Tapatalk 2 on Android.

Might be worth reporting it on the Tapatalk forums as a 'bug' or at least complaining about it.

IMO I'm glad people don't "need" to use TapaTalk anymore for XF, I hardly found it worth the price.

The trend now seems to be the old client was better and everyone dislikes the new one, so if the old one is free I guess it's well played for their users. :p

Ah. Seems that's a 'feature' of Tapatalk 4. My test was with Tapatalk 2 on Android.

Might be worth reporting it on the Tapatalk forums as a 'bug' or at least complaining about it.
From what I read, it doesn't store you password with them (only the account info you set for your Tapatalk ID information - which should not be your forum logon info).

https://support.tapatalk.com/threads/introducing-tapatalk-id-your-boarding-pass-to-forums.13532/
Special attention to the segment stating:
Tapatalk ID does not store your forum password and require you the login to the actual forum the first time you access the forum on a different device.

Top Bottom