1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TapaTalk is now FREE

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Adam Howard, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

2. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

Rho Delta likes this.
  3. Adam Howard

You now know as much as I now know

4. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

On iPhone, at least, it seems like the old version is free, with the new version now being paid @ £2.49.
    Shelley likes this.
  5. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

Yeah, they don't really go onto say whether the beta is remaining free but will go on to be paid when it gets out of beta. Will be interesting to see what happens and see if this remains free.
  6. Shyuan

Shyuan Well-Known Member

@Shelley if I wasnt wrong, I remember seeing they said once Tapatalk 4 is stable, it will be merged with Tapatalk HD (which indirectly means 4/HD will still be a paid app).

So if I already owned Tapatalk HD, I wont have to pay again I supposed.
  7. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

@Shelley, building on what @Adam Howard said, this is the full e-mail...
    Take that how you interpret it...

How I interpret it: Once the celebration is over... I think the prices will return to what it was. I'm assuming that the celebration ends when the software (v4) is out of beta.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
    Adam Howard likes this.
  8. Renegade

Renegade Well-Known Member

It will be out of beta by the first week of July according to them.
  9. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Then two weeks of beta...
  10. Adam Howard

They'll have to re-release it again to change it to a paid app where the free users don't get updated to it for free.

The way those app stores work is if you "purchase" it as free, you get all rolling updates. I've had a few free apps turn paid, but I keep getting those apps updated because I got in early.

The only way around that is if they re-release it under a different listing.
  11. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Well-Known Member

This was the official email announcement, looks "free" as in "free beer" to me, including the beta.
    I have the paid version. I think the beta version is pretty sweet though, and supports xenForo's post ratings, at least the "like" post rating.

Much better than dying Forum Runner, and Tapatalk support is using xenForo, if that's important to anybody.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  12. AlexT

AlexT Well-Known Member

Did anyone notice you cannot upload attachments/attach images to forums via Tapatalk anymore? When you try, it now says:

Right. Because I am going to sign up with their services and share my administrator logins with them. To upload images. Big fail.
    D.O.A. and SneakyDave like this.
  13. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Tapatalk ID doesn't share your login details with them, only which forums you use with Tapatalk so that when you log in to Tapatalk ID, it shows you a list of them. You need to log into each forum after this as you would normally.

I switched off the Tapatalk attachment hosting for my forum. If folk want to upload an attachment, it's uploaded onto the forum.
    AlexT likes this.
  14. AlexT

AlexT Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, that's reasonable. But can your members upload without Tapatalk ID? Until now, I was able to upload attachments to forums directly via Tapatalk. Now when I try, at least the forum I tested it with (XDA devs), it shows the "you need Tapatalk ID" notice posted above.
  15. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Yes they can upload attachments directly to my forum without Tapatalk ID. My partner who doesn't have Tapatalk ID just tested this.

Were your attachments actually uploaded to XDA or were they uploaded to Tapatalk hosting? Forum owners have an option in the Tapatalk forum owners area called "Hosted Image Support" which, if enabled, will "allow your forum member easily insert images to your forum, even when you have disabled attachment support. If you do not want your members to upload images to our server. You can disable it here." Maybe XDA have that enabled?
  16. DBA

DBA Well-Known Member

@Martok, like @AlexT whenever I attempt to upload an image/attachment with the new TT v 4 I'm required to login with a TapaTalk ID. Sorry but not happening.

Edit: I only allow attachments to be uploaded to my forum and NOT be hosted on TT's servers.
  17. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Ah. Seems that's a 'feature' of Tapatalk 4. My test was with Tapatalk 2 on Android.

Might be worth reporting it on the Tapatalk forums as a 'bug' or at least complaining about it.
  18. Jaxel

Jaxel Well-Known Member

I still use the old client... the new client is too bulky and lags on my phone.
  19. Lucas

Lucas Well-Known Member

IMO I'm glad people don't "need" to use TapaTalk anymore for XF, I hardly found it worth the price.

The trend now seems to be the old client was better and everyone dislikes the new one, so if the old one is free I guess it's well played for their users. :p
  20. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

From what I read, it doesn't store you password with them (only the account info you set for your Tapatalk ID information - which should not be your forum logon info).

Special attention to the segment stating:
    Tapatalk ID does not store your forum password and require you the login to the actual forum the first time you access the forum on a different device.