Tapatalk Forum App for xenForo - iOS / Android / Windows Phone Mobile App [Deleted]

@Gazhyde can you link to that thread where that change is discussed?

Just so I understand - sounds like you can disable in-app registration, but now you can't re-direct to the mobile registration page, correct?

Yeah, you can select either the in-app registration or the redirect to a URL of your choosing (in the XF options) but when you go to the forums sign-up / login on the Tapatalk app, you can no longer redirect to your forum, only use the in-app registration and can only register with your Tapatalk name, no option to select your username.

Anyone else getting "trending emails" from Tapatalk when it's disabled in their Forum Admin Owners dashboard? I received one last night, despite having had it it disabled since they added the option to disable it.

They started emailing ALL my members (even those that don't use tapatalk) informing them of 'likes' they have received and prompting them to download and use TT. I complained and they said that they were sorry and that a TT engineer had added my forum to a 'you've got likes' beta.

TT has finally been removed. I just hope they honor my request to delete our member list that was mined without my knowledge.

Wow, don't panic everyone - the confusion has been cleared up.

Tapatalk send out emails from trending@tapatalk.com which aren't emails from their trending system. They are actually emails from their user engagement trending system.

So they have 2 separate "trending" systems which use the same terminology. The first trending system is the one that I can disable (and have already), and the other is apparently generated at a Tapatalk user level and will comprise content from all the forums members visit.

Clear as mud... :cautious:

I find this strange, when copy/paste a forum category link or link forum and then try to click the link in Tapatalk it gives this message below. Doesn't do it on regular threads or posts, just category links or link forums. Only happens in Tapatalk also. The links work fine outside of Tapatalk.

IMG_1793.webp

Tapatalk keeps getting worse. When I removed it last year due to privacy & security violations it was already clear that it was not getting much better. They repeatedly sacrifice the website / webmaster interest for their own gain and try to push your members to their platform.
At this point anyone who is still using tapatalk should seriously contemplate the risks and benefits of having your entire site copied to their servers, providing access to your database, while their policy is clearly hostile to your interests.

Tapatalk keeps getting worse. When I removed it last year due to privacy & security violations it was already clear that it was not getting much better. They repeatedly sacrifice the website / webmaster interest for their own gain and try to push your members to their platform.
At this point anyone who is still using tapatalk should seriously contemplate the risks and benefits of having your entire site copied to their servers, providing access to your database, while their policy is clearly hostile to your interests.
I agree for the most part, the problem is, forum software unfortunately hasn't caught up with the times, the new generation of social networks, which is mobile capabilities like Tapatalk, Instagram, Facebook and so on. Until then, I need to do what has to be done to have my site available to mobile users. Unfortunately responsive just doesn't get the job done. I have far too many mobile users to just "turn it off."

I completely agree with you Alfa1 but when I removed it my user base went mental so I had to put it back on and when giving them the reasons why they were still not happy about it and their views unfortunately can kill my forum off.

Last year I turned it off at a site with 3.6 million monthly users. I made very clear how dangerous tapatalk is and why. And that the move was done out of concern about the security and privacy of our members. This greatly reduced problems. Some still cried about it, but they adjusted quickly. Mind that this was on vbulletin without responsive design that xenforo has.
I appreciate that the lack of a mobile app is a real problem and that members can start a riot about it. Every community is different and every webmaster needs to make their own decisions.

Mine has only just kicked off, no where near yours but I get reports a lot about people having issues even registering half the time and apparently you cannot send them to your registration page now (for me and another user we had issues doing that) so it is a complete pain.

I've been working on my responsive site cleaning it up and such so hopefully I will just go for it and remove it soon whilst we are relatively new still.

image.webp
I've just looked at tapatalk app and it's now saying that to access any forums users have to sign up to them. Without registering you can't see any forums. I don't see why my users should become their users, if you get my drift.

I'm not cool with this, curious what you guys think?

Tapatalk has been implementing a lot of functionality changes that alienate your users from your site and make them users of their service. The examples of such hostile actions are endless.

Last year I turned it off at a site with 3.6 million monthly users. I made very clear how dangerous tapatalk is and why. .

Hi Alfa1,

I want to put a case against the forum again to remove this as I had users complaining about receiving emails from them. I was wondering if you could present me with a few bulletpoints that would convince my users as to why I am removing this from the forum.

Whilst I read a lot of their forum messages for XenForo earlier and looked back in this thread, it appears to have mixed opinions on what the issues actually are so if you could expand even a little what specific security and privacy issues it can cause I would appreciate it.

If it is an issue posting here then I can send a conversation if that is okay?

I've just looked at tapatalk app and it's now saying that to access any forums users have to sign up to them. Without registering you can't see any forums.

It's been that way for a long time. It has to do with how they interact with the forum and their servers and the app.

This is the announcement I made to the community:
Tapatalk is a mobile browsing app which allows people to browse parts of our site in a mobile friendly way. Since its competitor is no longer operating, Tapatalk has become the only App of its kind. It seems that they are taking advantage of this situation in a dangerous way.

Over the course of the last months, Tapatalk has become more and more intrusive and with disregard to member privacy.
Here are some of the changes:
  1. TT started to divert users to login through their own login function instead of our login.
  2. TT showed advertising even though we opted out.
  3. Tapatalk did not alert us about a security vulnerability for months. This vulnerability could have allowed attackers to gain access to your phone/ credentials.
  4. The TT search function is now diluted with results from other websites.
  5. By default TT uploads images to TT instead of our server. We turned this off.
  6. TT keeps removing our usergroup permissions.
  7. TT keeps adding annoying popups to the site, which we keep removing.
  8. We discovered that TT seems to be using a copy of our content on their servers. They have not asked permission for this.
These events have made clear that we would stop offering Tapatalk once the new site is online.
However, Tapatalk has now announced that they will start emailing our members regularly. There is no reason whatsoever for a mobile app to start emailing members. We did not give Tapatalk permission to make use of any of our member data and will take legal action against Tapatalk if they do anything of such kind.

In light of the above I am now removing Tapatalk from this site. I apologize to those who enjoy the functionality.

I strongly advise anyone to remove Tapatalk from their devices.
Mind that this was over a year ago and that since then Tapatalk has continued on this path.

Top Bottom