Tapatalk Forum App for xenForo - iOS / Android / Windows Phone Mobile App [Deleted]

It's yet another back door ad-grab for @tapatalk - all the original site links are removed barring the small button on the top right; no username links, no avatar links, no post #no. links, and whilst they "sell" it as an opportunity for the site owner, it's really actually a dressed-up auto-aggregator that leverages your content in their favour!

Tapatalk finally got back to me that they'd removed the content and the links are redirecting to my site, which I've confirmed.

I can confirm that this does the trick.

I'll be removing the TT add-on and all its files in the near future. I'm just not comfortable with this add-on any more. It's a shame, because the TT app works quite well on my low-spec, outdated mobile phone, but now it's time to upgrade!
So I disabled that setting, it was enabled, what effect if any will this change do.

So I disabled that setting, it was enabled, what effect if any will this change do.
It should remove your post + thread content from tapatalk.com (or at least hide it, I don't know if they still keep it hidden somewhere), and the tapatalk.com URLs previously containing your content should redirect directly to the relevant pages of your XF / domain.

As was suggested above, you can google search for "domain.com site:tapatalk.com" to find cached pages of your content on tapatalk.com.

I believe they still keep the content and will continue to do so. They were obviously storing all our content before this announcement since I had removed my Tapatalk 2 months before the article and they posted a whole bunch of my threads on their site.

Good question...

First and this is important, make sure you have disabled that welcome screen

AdminCP > Options > Tapatalk - General - Options
un-check the box that reads, Mobile Welcome Screen, then save

Now to finally get rid of that drop down header that your members are first greeted with.

mobiquo / smartbanner / head.inc.php

Look for
PHP:
// display smart banner and welcome page
$app_banner_head = '';
if (file_exists($tapatalk_dir . '/smartbanner/welcome.php') && file_exists($tapatalk_dir . '/smartbanner/appbanner.js'))
{
    $GLOBALS['app_head_included'] = true;
    $app_banner_head = '
        <!-- Tapatalk Banner&Welcome head start -->
        <link href="'.$tapatalk_dir_url.'/smartbanner/appbanner.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" />
        <script type="text/javascript">
            var is_mobile_skin     = '.$is_mobile_skin.';
            var app_ios_id         = "'.$app_ios_id.'";
            var app_android_id     = "'.addslashes($app_android_id).'";
            var app_kindle_url     = "'.addslashes(urlencode($app_kindle_url)).'";
            var app_banner_message = "'.addslashes($app_banner_message).'";
            var app_forum_name     = "'.addslashes($app_forum_name).'";
            var app_location_url   = "'.addslashes($app_location_url).'";
            var app_board_url      = "'.addslashes(urlencode($board_url)).'";
            var functionCallAfterWindowLoad = '.$functionCallAfterWindowLoad.';

var app_forum_code = "'.(trim($api_key) ? md5(trim($api_key)) : '').'";
            var app_referer = "'.addslashes(urlencode($app_referer)).'";
            var app_welcome_url = "'.addslashes($tapatalk_dir_url.'/smartbanner/welcome.php').'";
            var app_welcome_enable = '.($app_ads_enable ? 1 : 0).';
        </script>
        <script src="'.$tapatalk_dir_url.'/smartbanner/appbanner.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
        <!-- Tapatalk Banner head end-->
    ';
}
And either remove it or comment it out.

If you comment it out, it will look like this
PHP:
// display smart banner and welcome page
// $app_banner_head = '';
// if (file_exists($tapatalk_dir . '/smartbanner/welcome.php') && file_exists($tapatalk_dir . '/smartbanner/appbanner.js'))
// {
//    $GLOBALS['app_head_included'] = true;
//
//    $app_banner_head = '
//        <!-- Tapatalk Banner&Welcome head start -->
//        <link href="'.$tapatalk_dir_url.'/smartbanner/appbanner.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" />
//        <script type="text/javascript">
//            var is_mobile_skin     = '.$is_mobile_skin.';
//            var app_ios_id         = "'.$app_ios_id.'";
//            var app_android_id     = "'.addslashes($app_android_id).'";
//            var app_kindle_url     = "'.addslashes(urlencode($app_kindle_url)).'";
//            var app_banner_message = "'.addslashes($app_banner_message).'";
//            var app_forum_name     = "'.addslashes($app_forum_name).'";
//            var app_location_url   = "'.addslashes($app_location_url).'";
//            var app_board_url      = "'.addslashes(urlencode($board_url)).'";
//            var functionCallAfterWindowLoad = '.$functionCallAfterWindowLoad.';
//        
//            var app_forum_code = "'.(trim($api_key) ? md5(trim($api_key)) : '').'";
//           var app_referer = "'.addslashes(urlencode($app_referer)).'";
//            var app_welcome_url = "'.addslashes($tapatalk_dir_url.'/smartbanner/welcome.php').'";
//            var app_welcome_enable = '.($app_ads_enable ? 1 : 0).';
//        </script>
//        <script src="'.$tapatalk_dir_url.'/smartbanner/appbanner.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
//        <!-- Tapatalk Banner head end-->
//    ';
// }

Now if you would rather someone else did the work for you, you can simply download the attached file and upload it.

You're welcome :D
Is this still possible or there's any other option to remove smartbanner/appbanner.js ?

I have been a critic of Tapatalk in the past. More recently I felt that Tapatalk had made substantial improvements in meeting the needs of site owners and reported that in this thread.

However, I just became aware that Tapatalk has been copying and republishing content from my websites (with their own ads) on Tapatalk.com.

See:
https://www.google.com/#q=mu-43.com+site:tapatalk.com
https://www.google.com/#q=talkemount.com+site:tapatalk.com
https://www.google.com/#q=fujixspot.com+site:tapatalk.com
https://www.google.com/#q=leicaplace.com+site:tapatalk.com
https://www.google.com/#q=seriouscompacts.com+site:tapatalk.com
https://www.google.com/#q=foreverfilm.org+site:tapatalk.com
https://www.google.com/#q=photographerslounge.org+site:tapatalk.com

The fact that it was announced with little fanfare and then implemented as an opt-out option is very poor behavior on the part of Tapatalk IMO, and that is without even considering the incorrect information in the announcement:

https://blog.tapatalk.com/tapatalk-monetization-update/

"Tapatalk.com is similar to Google News – it is not a forum reader and it only shows a preview of posts."

Not true. In many cases it shows the entire posts or even the entire threads. One of countless examples: How to tame a Dragon. - Tapatalk

"The listing will always be below the result direct from your site... not considered duplicative content..."

Also not true. I found many instances where it outranked the results from our site. For example:

View attachment 140684

Tapatalk has no control over how Google ranks results, nor can they speak with any authority over what Google will consider duplicate content.

"These are the forums that will have Tapatalk.com disabled, and you will have to login to enable Tapatalk.com: All Paid Tiers (both Enterprise and Premium)"

Again, not true. I was on a paid tier (Premium), and I was opted in by default.

Sites > "Your Site" > Monetization Settings > Tapatalk.com SEO and Ads
o_O
Thanks for sharing. They should care more about site owners...

But this is really a major issue. Copying content from our sites and serving it on theirs? If ever there was a time to ask for an opt-in, this would be the time. And I would most certainly not have opted in.
This thread is rife with many, many people warning that this behaviour is at their core ... better support responses/method doesn't change an organisations ethos and culture.
Sorry, but you were warned.

It's unfortunately been like that for a while now. Now would be a good time for a Tapatalk competitor to emerge!
unfortunately there is none, and any that may even have a chance, are very far from being even remotely close to what Tapatalk offers as far as their app is concerned.

...and what am I supposed to be looking for? Maybe I'm mixing things up...I was looking for a way to opt out from my site/content being duplicated on tapatalk's site.

...and what am I supposed to be looking for? Maybe I'm mixing things up...I was looking for a way to opt out from my site/content being duplicated on tapatalk's site.
Not sure, just turned this setting off as someone recommended, it makes sense that is what is happening with the SEO.

Well, I think that just shuts off ads being displayed to users viewing your forum via the app. Nothing to do with them posting your content on their site

Tapatalk.com SEO and ads is the correct setting.
It disables the "SEO" of putting your content on Tapatalk.com and the display of ads within that content, not the display of ads within the Tapatalk app.

It makes the Google (for example) links to your content on Tapatalk.com redirect to your site. Whether they'll then expire their copies of your content isn't clear.

Well, I think that just shuts off ads being displayed to users viewing your forum via the app. Nothing to do with them posting your content on their site
Tapatalk.com SEO and ads is the correct setting.
It disables the "SEO" of putting your content on Tapatalk.com and the display of ads within that content, not the display of ads within the Tapatalk app.

It makes the Google (for example) links to your content on Tapatalk.com redirect to your site. Whether they'll then expire their copies of your content isn't clear.

Top Bottom