Tapatalk Forum App for xenForo - iOS / Android / Windows Phone Mobile App [Deleted]

This sentence by itself is enough for me to never sign in the first place.

This Agreement may be amended from time-to-time without notice in Tapatalk's sole discretion.

It gives carte blanche for Tapatalk to ignore the agreement. Only if you constantly monitor their website would you know that it had changed.

Does anyone know how deleted the add-on? Contemplating removing the add-on from my forum too.. Though I know a few member's came from Tapatalk...

Uninstalling the addon should be enough, but I deleted the mobiquo folder (in forum root) as well as the Tapatalk folder (in library) as well after first uninstalling the addon.

This sentence by itself is enough for me to never sign in the first place.

It gives carte blanche for Tapatalk to ignore the agreement. Only if you constantly monitor their website would you know that it had changed.

See the Terms of Service for this forum: https://xenforo.com/community/help/terms

These terms may be changed at any time without notice.

Same statement is found in the default TOS for ever forum that uses XenForo software.

IMO, the difference with Tapatalk is that they have proven that they change the TOS in undesirable ways such as giving themselves permission to email everyone in the database under specific conditions.

See the Terms of Service for this forum: https://xenforo.com/community/help/terms
I didn't know that.

however it cannot be legally binding.

You tick the box to accept the terms as they are when you tick it. presumably when you download an upgrade you are accepting the new terms because you tick the box.

But legally, the only contract/licence that exists is the one in place when you last ticked the box agreeing.

The problem with the internet is trying to prove what was in lace when you ticked that box, so if you are bothered take screenshot and file it away.

I didn't know that.

however it cannot be legally binding.

I'll leave it up to the courts to decide what is legal. But such terms are certainly prevalent. See for example Yahoo's: https://policies.yahoo.com/us/en/yahoo/terms/utos/index.htm

Yahoo provides the Yahoo Services (defined below) to you subject to the following Terms of Service ("TOS"), which may be updated by us from time to time without notice to you.

Facebook has a different approach, which I'm guessing comes from bad press with previous changes in their TOS:

Amendments
  1. We’ll notify you before we make changes to these terms and give you the opportunity to review and comment on the revised terms before continuing to use our Services.
  2. If we make changes to policies, guidelines or other terms referenced in or incorporated by this Statement, we may provide notice on the Site Governance Page.
  3. Your continued use of the Facebook Services, following notice of the changes to our terms, policies or guidelines, constitutes your acceptance of our amended terms, policies or guidelines.

But still there is nothing about ticking a box to accept new terms.

Would be interesting to look at the case law regarding such TOS changes.

Just logged in through the "site owners" portal and I noticed the add-on was out of date and a newer version was available but there's nothing telling you what's "new" or what's "fixed" in the new version. Okay fair enough on here there's a log of what's new each time there's an update but this is on their actual site why would I need to go searching for what's new in the updated version of the add-on I've checked in the download contents too nothing.

I've read enough horror stories in this thread, removed the add-on this morning.

I think there is something that is worth pointing out, it was a subtle change that I noticed a few months back and it got me thinking about a few things.

Default XF function is that when you get an alert for a thread via email, you don't get any more for any replies until you visit that specific thread again. This is actually different from VB and a few others, that reset this value apparently for every thread you are "watching" or "subscribed" to whenever you visit the forum again (any thread/page/etc). What that means for these other forums is that if you are subscribed to 20 threads and then you get 8 alerts, and you click one of them and read one post on one of those threads, you'll get new alerts for additional new replies to the other 7 threads you didn't view (the alert is reset). What it means for XF is that if you get 8 alerts and you look at one thread, the other 7 are still unviewed and subsequent replies to those threads will not generate an alert - you have to look at each thread. I think this is a source of what I've seen some people mention as an initial downturn in traffic after a switch to XF.

Now over to Tapatalk. What they have done is completely disconnected the alert strategy of any forum they are used on. You will get alert after alert regardless of whether you have visited the forum or not, based solely on whether or not you are subscribed to the thread. This means if a thread is hot, and getting a ton of responses, you'll know it because of the push notifications. You might get 30 pushes on a single thread but only one email.

Double edged sword to some, you might not like getting so many notifications. But to me this move made Tapatalk hard to get rid of for me. I like knowing what is going on related to the threads I am watching, and if a thread is hot and popping up notifications, it grabs my attention. I go to the mobile browser to view the thread (on XF forums at least) so in those cases I only use TT for the push notices (in fact, I rarely actually use the app at all beyond the push notices).

Its the upside of TT that keeps me from removing it. Because otherwise my customizations are wiped out. If they implemented direct-to-web-view, that would make this app the @#$%.

Has anyone noticed recently the the the "Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk" is showing up again on their forums and I don't see the option to turn if off in the ACP anymore. Anyone else? I had that sig popping up all over my forum.

Last edited:
email from 10/15

Serve Your Ads through DFP (and work around the ad-blocking apps)

During the summer, we have been gathering feedback from Site Owners and monitoring comments about ways to improve Tapatalk. And based on the feedback, we have been busy working on a number of improvements. We are excited to share some the first of a few new features with you.

(Some of you may have received an earlier version of this newsletter a couple of weeks ago. This is an updated version)

Introducing the ability to serve your ads through DFP on Tapatalk

I’m sure many of you have followed the news of Apple, with the release of iOS 9, allowing Ad-Blocking apps. The apps are blocking ads on mobile web sites, but not in apps. Here is a recent write-up in MacWorld. Ad blockers on mobile sites could have a big impact on many sites revenue generation.

The good news Tapatalk provides a couple of monetization options. Just about two years ago, Tapatalk introduced advertising so that Site Owners could monetize impressions of their content viewed on Tapatalk. In that time, we have been increasing CPM, and earlier this year introduced Native Ads format.

We also have been hearing from some site owners that they wanted more control over advertising in Tapatalk.

Good news! Starting this week, you can now insert your own DFP tags and have your ads served when users view your content on Tapatalk. We are going to support serving either 300X250 or 320X50 ad units. Initially, DFP ads will only be available for forums, and in the near future, also include blogs and RSS feeds in Tapatalk.

Serving ads through DFP is available to all sites and there is no costs from Tapatalk in serving the ads. (Doubleclick ad serving fees may apply)

For me details, see this Knowledge Base article.

Introducing additional control options

Since its introduction, Tapatalk has always been free to Site Owners. The app became free for end users about two years ago. Our business model is simple: we plan to eventually make money by taking a small percentage of the advertising revenue from impressions on Tapatalk. (Today the percentage is negligible to negative. In other words, we are paying site owners more in ad revenue than we are receiving).

We have absolutely no plans to change our free offering to Site Owners or to app users. However, we received feedback from Site Owners asking for an option to pay a small fee to receive more controls / options. Based on the feedback, we are going to add an optional paid tier.

We have an optional paid tier for Site Owners that provides an option to remove Tapatalk branding including Smart App Banner and to turning off Tapatalk signature. For existing Tapatalk sites, we are looking to rely on the honor system rather than Tapatalk enforcing purchase of the Premium tier.

Tapatalk.webp

We have an optional paid tier for Site Owners that provides an option to remove Tapatalk branding including Smart App Banner and to turning off Tapatalk signature. For existing Tapatalk sites, we are looking to rely on the honor system rather than Tapatalk enforcing purchase of the Premium tier.

View attachment 119663

This is really unbelievable.

I think we're going to see massive numbers of forum owners uninstalling Tapatalk!

Top Bottom