• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

TaigaChat - AJAX shoutbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
0.3.1 released - lots of nice optimisations :)

0.3.1 (24/01/2011):
  • Gzipped AJAX refresh response resulting in vastly reduced size (~70kb -> ~5kb).
  • The fade effect will no longer occur when more than 1 message is received at once or if it is less than 15 seconds since the last fade.
  • Fixed double AJAX refresh when posting a message due to focus event bubbling.
  • Fixed error when editing messages introduced in 0.3.0.
  • Removed random '6' at the end of dark_taigachat.css

I really hope to see smiley integration with this add-on. It seems that smilies are taking a backseat everywhere I look at xenforo. Nice add-on too but lacks that ability to pull smilies.

I really hope to see smiley integration with this add-on. It seems that smilies are taking a backseat everywhere I look at xenforo. Nice add-on too but lacks that ability to pull smilies.
+ me
biggrin.png
(oupss, a smiley ^^)

Awesome job, DI :)

One more suggestion: right now, when editing/deleting a shout, it redirects you to /taigachat/ (Or shoutbox, chatbox, or whatever url you use) when done. Seems a little useless though if you have the taigachat tab hidden in the first place, and you don't intend for people to even see that page. Any chance of an option to edit/delete messages without being redirected there when done (eg the popup just disappearing)?

As usual, just throwing about ideas. Love what you've done so far. :p

When guests are allowed to post in the chat, Guest username is hardcoded in ControllerPublic/TaigaChat.php

Maybe toss some $$$ DI's way to persuade a little?
Thanks for the suggestion Anthony. I don't usually pay to persuade, but I do pay for performance, so if DarkImmortal
is willing to consider such an add-on, I would consider using his shoutbox and paying a reasonable price for the shoutbox and the added archiving feature.
How about it DarkImmortal? Are you still philosophically opposed to considering an archiving function?
Best regards,
HJ

Thanks for the suggestion Anthony. I don't usually pay to persuade, but I do pay for performance, so if DarkImmortal
is willing to consider such an add-on, I would consider using his shoutbox and paying a reasonable price for the shoutbox and the added archiving feature.
How about it DarkImmortal? Are you still philosophically opposed to considering an archiving function?
Best regards,
HJ

Does it have to post to a forum thread like you mentioned earlier?

A proper archive page (like VSa ChatBox) would not only be nicer to view, but could have integrated edit/delete/mass delete tools etc. And it could be based out of the same database table - there is really no performance benefit in clearing it nightly other than (until now) wasted storage. Of course the page and disabling the nightly cleanup would be optional.

Awesome job, DI :)

One more suggestion: right now, when editing/deleting a shout, it redirects you to /taigachat/ (Or shoutbox, chatbox, or whatever url you use) when done. Seems a little useless though if you have the taigachat tab hidden in the first place, and you don't intend for people to even see that page. Any chance of an option to edit/delete messages without being redirected there when done (eg the popup just disappearing)?

As usual, just throwing about ideas. Love what you've done so far. :p

Will sort that :)

DkImm, thanks very much for your reply and your willingness to continue the discussion!
Does it have to post to a forum thread like you mentioned earlier?

It doesn't have to be a Forum thread per se. Just someplace where users can easily find it, where it will also be found and indexed by the SE's and by the Forum's internal search tool.

At this time it doesn't need to be archived daily, although that may not be too far off so should be included in the plan, with admin option to adjust the frequency of archiving (every d days, or h hours)

A proper archive page (like VSa ChatBox) would not only be nicer to view, but could have integrated edit/delete/mass delete tools etc. And it could be based out of the same database table - there is really no performance benefit in clearing it nightly other than (until now) wasted storage. Of course the page and disabling the nightly cleanup would be optional.
That could do it, provided when archived it IS easily accessible and to the user feels smoothly integrated with the XF Forum.

Hopefully such a feature can be disabled completely, and knowing DI it will be :)
I would have no use for archiving throwaway chat messages.

It doesn't have to be a Forum thread per se. Just someplace where users can easily find it, where it will also be found and indexed by the SE's and by the Forum's internal search tool.

Support for the internal search would be a lot more work than it's worth if you ask me (how often is something genuinely useful posted in a shoutbox anyway?), plus the search indexing load would increase dramatically on small forums where there are likely more daily shoutbox messages than posts (like mine).

Search engines wouldn't be a problem though

great one man! keep it up!

just something that might be useful, on the drop down menu you could add a ban command maybe or a temporary ban for the specific user ;)

anyhow it rocks! :)

Like the new version but still cant get it to work on the "Whats new" page, i've added following at end of template for the whats new page

Code:
<xen:sidebar>

<xen:include template="dark_taigachat" />

</xen:sidebar>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom