1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 Tags created on private threads show up on Search Tags page

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by jauburn, Aug 5, 2015.

1. jauburn

jauburn Well-Known Member

Tags created on threads in private boards (or moderator-only boards) show up on the Search Tags page.

Not sure whether this should be considered a bug, but I would think thread visibility settings should also apply to the tags associated with those threads.

Use case example (fictitious, but plausible): a moderator creates a tag called "annoying users" for all threads that deal with troublesome users. Naturally no one would want normal users to find that tag on the Search Tags page, but with the current situation, one would.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    Liam W likes this.
  2. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Are these tags visible to standard members and/or guests? I'd expect to see all tags on the search tags page if I have permission to see the threads these tags are attached to.

A link to your search tags page and some of these private tags would help.
  3. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Tags themselves are not private and permission restricted. The content a tag is attached to is permission controlled though.

This is really expected and effectively impossible to change in the way you're asking.
  4. jauburn

The tags are visible to normal members, even though the tags themselves were attached to threads in a private forum (only). So users can see all tags.
  5. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Indeed, as Mike has confirmed. Not what I expected to be honest.
    jauburn likes this.
  6. jauburn

I suppose, then, that tag use should be disallowed in private forums.
  7. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

If you deem it necessary it can be through node permissions.