As designed Tagging AutoComplete stops after space is inserted

Yeah TagMe works fine with spaces in usernames.

I would expect little teething things such as this though. I know it's taken @xfrocks a long time to get the auto complete stuff just right. Every now and then there's a little tweak that improves the detection of usernames.

I think it's a good idea to stop giving suggestions when user hit space, those usernames are uncommon anyway. For the [bd] Tag Me add-on, it does not support spaces in suggestion by default, administrator has to go into the option page to make it work. Talking about trade offs :D

PS: @Mike liked my post. Ooh hoo!

I think it's a good idea to stop giving suggestions when user hit space, those usernames are uncommon anyway. For the [bd] Tag Me add-on, it does not support spaces in suggestion by default, administrator has to go into the option page to make it work. Talking about trade offs :D

PS: @Mike liked my post. Ooh hoo!

If it's possible to make it as an option that would be great. FB handles this quite nicely.

This is currently intentional and it's a balance of being "right" versus making many unnecessary round trips to the server.
For some languages many user names without spaces may look ugly. I have this feeling that you have minimum character count setting to fire suggestion popup. Enabling spaces as a configurable option will be nice to have as well. :)

It appears as if this has been "FIXED" since I can now type @King Kov and it'll show an auto-complete of my name. Way to go, Mike & Kier! (y)

@Mike if it finds the user, perhaps the suggestion should persist?

Example: If I go to tag Chris Deeming, It'll provide suggestions up to "Chris De", after which point it will remove the suggestion box completely.

Perhaps the suggestion box should remain for the rest of the name? I'm not sure if there would be any overhead seeing as the name was already matched.

It allows spaces in the first 8 characters I think. Beyond that, it just assumes you're done. Seems like a reasonable compromise.
Is there any way I can change the character limit? On our boards, several users have their usernames as 'Firstname Lastname'. Many first names are more than 8 chars long and I'd like them to appear in the tagging suggestions.

I've read that this may affect the server performance. I wish to know more about it. I'm ready to load the server in favor of the feature. What could be the adverse effects of this on our server?

Top Bottom