[TAC] Fool Bot Honey Pot

[TAC] Fool Bot Honey Pot [Paid] 3.0.32

No permission to buy ($29.00)
since peeps have decided to host content on their own websites (as opposed to xenforo.com) upgrading purchased downloads has become a pain in the r's.........
we need to remember logins etc...it will break the whole thing......STOP IT!...
Your browser doesn't offer the option to remember logins? ;)

Some use FetchApp, but I honestly like the way @tenants does it. It's not any additional problem to log on there to get it. What I don't really enjoy is the free add-ons that are posted and you have to go register at their site to obtain it. IMHO just an attempt to gain member numbers. Usually if I have to do that the only time I'm back is when I need to download an update - as for participation in the forum I do none.

I like the way @Brogan does it.......

1. you pay for an add on....
2.he emails you the updates!

no need for third party websites, logins etc......

easy for the simple man.....like me!

• It's not too hard to login to a site
  • I'm not hosting paid plugins on sites I don't own (free plugins I will)
  • Uploading the files on a site I own is fairly simple and quick (and I also use custom automated methods to detect who has downloaded what, so I can keep track of which users share pirated versions, this is done on site)
  • You don't need to update if you feel it's too much effort (the current released version still works)
  • Emailing out versions puts the responsibility onus in my court, I would rather that be in your court (I wouldn't want to accidentally miss anyone on an email list)
  • Downloading, paying and updating is fairly automated (I do not wish to manually email anyone where I don't need to)
  • I use the site for automation ease (for both downloaders and me), I do not expect users to "join in the community". In fact, far from it (since it's a locational niche), I've never had a comment from a plug-in download user that I haven't had to delete (comment on plugins at xenforo.com)
  • Ease of automation means I can very quickly fix any bugs anyone notices and send out a new version (without having to spam users with lots of updates.. as you would have seen from the quick fixes of the last 6 versions today)
If you lose your password, you can request it again (this is your responsibility), if you don't know how and you own a forum, then it might be a useful experience.
I don't have time for custom work, personal emails, private conversations.. I'm not sending this out via email personally to anyone. But if you find bugs / things that are useful to everyone, I will often respond / fix here quite quickly.

Last edited:
I installed this version yesterday, and all keycaptcha verification ceased working. I've had to revert so it works correctly. I have tested reverting, and it did work again, the new version failed allowing it to verify.

I installed this version yesterday, and all keycaptcha verification ceased working. I've had to revert so it works correctly. I have tested reverting, and it did work again, the new version failed allowing it to verify.
Are you referring to the add-on? It works just fine with @tenants image captcha system. Possibly a conflict between two if it's the add-on.

I'll give it a try. What options did you use in FBHP, did you use a 2 step mechanism or temporary turn off the CAPTHCA for registration (I'll put the previous working version up too, until I find a fix)

Also, I assume there were no errors in the logs? (I noticed KeyCaptcha was down temporarily yesterday)

Last edited:
I didn't use the two step, and didn't turn off the captcha either. Single page form, keycaptcha to confirm sending... it fails to authorise the keycaptcha.

No errors in the log, and keycatcha was rendering fine when I tried it myself after being notified. I disabled FBHP and it worked, so I reverted FBHP to an earlier version, it also worked on the earlier version.

I'm using 2.3.06 version at present, which works.

You are correct, I now know why this happens

On cleaning up, for the actionRegister function I override, I changed a small bit of code

Code:
if (($isBot || $nonJSBot) && !XenForo_Captcha_Abstract::validateDefault($this->_input))
{
            $errors[] = new XenForo_Phrase('did_not_complete_the_captcha_verification_properly');
            $captcha_passed = false;
}

to

Code:
if (!XenForo_Captcha_Abstract::validateDefault($this->_input))
{
            $errors[] = new XenForo_Phrase('did_not_complete_the_captcha_verification_properly');
            $captcha_passed = false;
}

Basically, I didn't understand why I was only checking the CAPTCHA results for bots. I remember why now, the act of checking the answer for many CAPTCHA means the uuid then becomes invalid, so if it is checked in the overriden function and parent, it will always fail (however, since the bots are already detected as bots, the parent isn't called, so we can get away with checking the CAPTCHA results of bots, and record the information in the logs).

I will add a comment, so I don't remove this again.. I'll add it back and re-release shortly.

Last edited:
tenants updated FoolBotHoneyPot Bot Killer: Spam Combat with a new update entry:

Fixes (CAPTCHA Validation, API stats)

• Fixed and issue with KeyCapthca not working
  • APIs from anyAPI were not getting recorded in the stats
  • Invalid DOB in 2 steps mechanisms are now validated correctly

Read the rest of this update entry...

@Anthony Parsons I've checked and registered using this version + KeyCatpcha, all seemed to go swimmingly fine (see above why this for information on why this broke)

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

Just got this error:

Code:
Server Error Log
Error Info
ErrorException: Undefined variable: foundSpamAnyApi - library/Tac/FoolBotHoneyPot/Model/Log.php:335
Generated By: Unknown Account, Wednesday at 1:06 PM
Stack Trace
#0 /home/pgweb/public_html/forums/library/Tac/FoolBotHoneyPot/Model/Log.php(335): XenForo_Application::handlePhpError(8, 'Undefined varia...', '/home/pgweb/pub...', 335, Array)
#1 /home/pgweb/public_html/forums/library/Tac/FoolBotHoneyPot/ControllerPublic/Register.php(643): Tac_FoolBotHoneyPot_Model_Log->logBot(Object(XenForo_Options), false, false, '?O??', false, Array, '', '', 28, 0, false, false, false, Array)
#2 /home/pgweb/public_html/forums/library/UserEss/ControllerPublic/Register.php(68): Tac_FoolBotHoneyPot_ControllerPublic_Register->actionRegister()
#3 /home/pgweb/public_html/forums/library/Tac/CustomImgCaptcha/ControllerPublic/Register.php(51): UserEss_ControllerPublic_Register->actionRegister()
#4 /home/pgweb/public_html/forums/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(347): Tac_CustomImgCaptcha_ControllerPublic_Register->actionRegister()
#5 /home/pgweb/public_html/forums/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#6 /home/pgweb/public_html/forums/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#7 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(98) "http://precursorgames.com/forums/index.php?register/register&43ca65386176043026=0530a5386176040b71"
  ["_GET"] => array(2) {
    ["register/register"] => string(0) ""
    ["43ca65386176043026"] => string(18) "0530a5386176040b71"
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }
}

Already fixed (just download the latest version), see here for reason:

Bug in FBHP (from a recent tidy up),
It was happening only when user was not detected as a bot by fbhp, but was detected as spam via api (so not a common scenario, and hadn't run into it during tests)

Fixed in FoolBotHoneyPot_v2_4_03b

@tenants, apparently something in the latest update doesn't play with FreddysHouse 2 factor authentication. Ever since the latest update I can no longer log in - it kicks me in as a new user and tells me that the account name is already in use. Hopefully you or @SheepCow can get this resolved, as the 2 factor authentication is important.
I can disable the 2 factor authentication add-on and login works but it doesn't with it enabled. I disable your utilities and it still doesn't work.

EDIT:
Just checked the one site that is using the branded version and it is working fine so it was something in the update that is apparently conflicting.

Last edited:
@tenants, apparently something in the latest update doesn't play with FreddysHouse 2 factor authentication. Ever since the latest update I can no longer log in - it kicks me in as a new user and tells me that the account name is already in use. Hopefully you or @SheepCow can get this resolved, as the 2 factor authentication is important.
I can disable the 2 factor authentication add-on and login works but it doesn't with it enabled. I disable your utilities and it still doesn't work.

EDIT:
Just checked the one site that is using the branded version and it is working fine so it was something in the update that is apparently conflicting.

I've just had a 10 second glimpse at his code, there doesn't seem to be anything obvious that would cause a conflict. He doesn't use actionRegister (which is usually where conflicts with FBHP occur), the only controller public method that we both share is login (and I only use the pre_dispatch part). He also calls the parent correctly, so it's not an obvious bug, I will have a look at it by installing both tonight.

Are you sure it's a conflict with FBHP (and not another addon?), if it only started playing up with the new version of FBHP, have you tried installing the previous version of FBHP on the site that it's not working on (it's still up on my site), does it work then?
When does the conflict occur, is it on registration or on login ? (I can only see login code for 2 factor, and this is not an area that FBHP really touches)

Last edited:
Are you sure it's a conflict with FBHP (an not another addon?), if it only started playing up with the new version of FBHP, have you tried installing the previous version of FBHP on the site that it's not working on (it's still up on my site), does it work then?
I'll grab it and regress it. Guess I need to uninstall and delete all the files to get a clean install?

Edit: I am also using the extended logons add-on. Will disable that also and see if it could be causing the problem.

When does the conflict occur, is it on registration or on login ? (I can only see login code for 2 factor, and this is not an area that FBHP really touches)
On login. It seems to redirect you to the registration page like it doesn't recognize you after putting the code in for 2 factor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom