Not planned Tab Order at Login, Signup

Safin

Would it be possible to separate the "Create Account" with the "Login" tab order on the "Log In or SignUp" container box that opens when you are browsing as guest.

By default, right now the tab order is "Your Name or Email", after which is the field about whether you want to create an account or have an existing password, and then is the password field. So basically after typing the username, you have to hit the tab key twice to enter your password as against only once on most sites(if not all). Imo, we are so accustomed to typing the username/password via tabs that it leads to a bit of confusion (or hitting enter without entering the password)

I suggest changing the order to how its default on most sites and actually demarcating the "Sign Up" in a separate block in the same container to the right of the login. It will also be more visible and eye catching that way.

Upvote 8
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
This makes xenForo unique, its one of the many things that sets it apart from other forum. I think this feature is neat.

Standard logins like this one?

View attachment 7454
Wow, you really go out of your way to be contrarian don't you? Do you ever log into windows or other forum software? Or did you conveniently forget those and spend your whole day looking for a counter-example?

But if your post was to help discover, hunt down, and kill, other offenders with silly log-ins, then congrats! You found yourself a catch. Top marks - you're with us finally! :)

Wow, you really go out of your way to be contrarian don't you?
Oh, stop it! You're making me blush!

did you [...] spend your whole day looking for a counter-example?
No, I was buying a present for you and I noticed that the world's largest retail web site has the same login system as this humble forum software. And I thought to myself, "Self, if Amazon isn't a 'de-facto standard,' what is?"

That's all. Don't read anything into it. Don't split hairs.

This makes xenForo unique, its one of the many things that sets it apart from other forum. I think this feature is neat.

In Windows, to Shut down the computer you need to Click Start.
In Xenforo, to sign up for a forum, you have to click login.

This isn't the unique Xenforo should go for.

... after typing the username, you have to hit the tab key twice to enter your password as against only once on most sites(if not all).

Imho, this should be changed to a single tab key.
Also, I would like to suggest a control panel setting to define whether
the "Stay logged in" checkbox is checked by default or not.

Cheers,
Martin

IIRC there was tab order for the search box and the editor in threads in the previous beta versions. I really want it back :(

Looks like Sign Up to me.

tab-png.7519

That looks like "Log In or Sign Up"

i want the defacto standard
Login TAB password ENTER

Also REGISTER LINK ,
just like what twitter/facebook style simple registration.

if they can use facebook, surely its easy for them to register to xenforo
as facebook/twitter are defacto standards in simple signup

hope xenforo will go that way.
as google is saying:

To Improve Users Experience...

If it isn't integrated into the core package, just add tabindex="1" to the username field and tabindex="2" to the password field.

If you have "Stay logged in" checked you probably don't notice it, but I think the tabindex of the ctrl_password field and the ctrl_not_registered/ctrl_registered items should be reversed since the default action a majority of the time is to type your username/password to log in and not create a new account. (which is why the "Yes, my password is:" response is selected by default)

I've changed it in the login_bar_form template for my site to save that extra hit of the tab key, but I thought it might be something worth considering in the product. (that way I don't have to deal with it here in these forums! :)) If you agree, then similar tabindex values should be assigned to the helper_login_form template.

Thoughts?

--Ed

This has been raised many times.
The developers have stated their reasons for it being as it is.

I'll see if I can find the relevant threads/posts.

I have merged your thread with the earlier suggestion(s).

When you login, you type your username, then you have to tab again about password, before you can type your actual password in. Can those 2 radio buttons be moved below the password so you just type, and tab and type again
This has been raised before and was answered by Mike I think.
I need to try and find the thread.

I was unable to find reasons provided by Mike ... can anyone find them ?

is there any solution to change this method to separation tab by its self?
when user click login then goes to login section or click sign up then go to register area. is more simple for my future forum member

Personally I don't like the whole drop down thing from the top of the site. But more importantly my designer didn't. I like the login to either be something you can already see like savagerebirth.com or one click and overlay, not move stuff down/over.

About registration I think it is weird how they do it like you all do. However I also think if you should customize registration to your forum to attract your users better. Also if you customize it enough (including the controller and/or route so you can change the GET params) you will stop a lot of bots successfully getting past your rego form as they don't recognize it as the standard xenforo registration system.

Top Bottom