Not planned Tab Order at Login, Signup

Safin

Would it be possible to separate the "Create Account" with the "Login" tab order on the "Log In or SignUp" container box that opens when you are browsing as guest.

By default, right now the tab order is "Your Name or Email", after which is the field about whether you want to create an account or have an existing password, and then is the password field. So basically after typing the username, you have to hit the tab key twice to enter your password as against only once on most sites(if not all). Imo, we are so accustomed to typing the username/password via tabs that it leads to a bit of confusion (or hitting enter without entering the password)

I suggest changing the order to how its default on most sites and actually demarcating the "Sign Up" in a separate block in the same container to the right of the login. It will also be more visible and eye catching that way.

Upvote 8
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Totally agree, very odd setup atm, wonder if there's a particular advantage to this method that we are not thinking of?

Totally agree, very odd setup atm, wonder if there's a particular advantage to this method that we are not thinking of?

To be fair, i don't quite see much advantage in a combo login/signup first step. It appears a bit confusing. Its best if there was a clear "Register Now" Button and a normal sign in box having 1-2-3 tab order (Username, Password, remember me).

I too agree with this. Lucky I searched before opening a new thread. On more then one occasion I have had issues...

tabindex helps for ordering the tab structure but I like the login form that's implemented here, I feel it's very innovative.

Well innovative maybe but i still think the taborder needs fixing.
And i still feel that most normal users tend to look for a "register now" button. Its best if its kept separate.

The tab states "Log in or Sign up". Maybe you'd prefer it if it was persistently in the top-right corner of the page, regardless of scrolling?

you can still use the tab button to type in your password... just hit tab twice. ;)

I know that, but since most sites/scripts are set up with username followed by password, why not just change xenForo? I am sure other users will have the same issue. Plus, I keep forgetting to hit tab twice and end up on the register page. :(

I know that, but since most sites/scripts are set up with username followed by password, why not just change xenForo? I am sure other users will have the same issue. Plus, I keep forgetting to hit tab twice and end up on the register page. :(

Why be like everyone else though? I have to admit, I've gone to the registration page once or thirty times myself, but once you break that habit and pay attention to which site you are on, it's very easy and not really that much of a hassle (I also like to be different!). Furthermore, a simple template edit on your end can resolve that.

Why be like everyone else though? I have to admit, I've gone to the registration page once or thirty times myself, but once you break that habit and pay attention to which site you are on, it's very easy and not really that much of a hassle (I also like to be different!). Furthermore, a simple template edit on your end can resolve that.

Yes, I know I can edit it, but it is an UI issue. Why change the habits of all users when a simple tweak of the script can fix it?

Yes, I know I can edit it, but it is an UI issue. Why change the habits of all users when a simple tweak of the script can fix it?

This forum is completely different different than all the other ones. Habits are going to be broken one way or the other ;)

This forum is completely different different than all the other ones. Habits are going to be broken one way or the other ;)

I agree the forum is different, but I have users on my test site that do not like this feature. They dislike this feature because they do not like having to go back from the registration page to login if they make a mistake. Also, some of my users thought they had to re-register because they ended up on the registration page. How many users do you have testing your site? Mine has an imported vb with a couple thousand users and the majority do not like this, but love the rest of the forum. This is just a suggestion to the script, and if necessary, I can edit the template to fix it. I am just giving real user feedback and suggestions.

I do have to agree with him on this one. As a matter of fact the Login Form should be more visible than is now. Many users are used to things like twitter, facebook etc... and for them to have to look for the login screen is bad UI design. It should be very simple and easy to use for the AVERAGE computer person. I mean the people that only know how to type a reply and nothing more.

I've requested from a style designer, Erik, to try and change the login form to the side bar right below the sign up button. And the sign up button to have a direct link to the registration form. It's always good to try and make login or sign up as easy as can be to avoid frustrating users and driving them away.

When you login, you type your username, then you have to tab again about password, before you can type your actual password in. Can those 2 radio buttons be moved below the password so you just type, and tab and type again

Top Bottom