• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[SurreyForum] XenKingDir: Link / Business Directory (Directory)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenants

Feel free to Donate, a donation of £40 (or more) earns you the right to remove the copyright for this mod from a single install.

This directory works via a specified Forum (existing or new)
You can choose to hide this forum if you wish (so that the directory is just selectable from the Nav Bar)
You can also choose this forum to be moderated (so that directory listings are moderated)

- Allows users to add a location => Google Map
- Allows Users to add their own site links (1 Main and 3 deep)
- Works via a specified Forum, so admins can moderate submissions (untested)
- Can completely redefine the Directory Nodes using the ACP
- Comes with a default Business Directory Node set up
- Users can set listings to "claimable"
- Users can respond to the Directory Listing and give reviews (/reply to thread)
- Support multiple categories per listing (up to 5)
- The directory can go up to 5 categories deep
USA >> Texas >> Oklahoma >> Cities >> Pubs and Bars

- Supports XF 1.1

Installation:
  • Unzip the following zip file
  • Upload this folder into the library folder of your XenForo root
You should now have the following folder structure:
http://www.yourforum.com/library/XenKingDir
  • Go to ACP -> Add-ons -> Install Add-on -> Install from file on server
  • Install from file on server: " library/XenKingDir/addon-XenKingDir.xml"
  • Set the Directory forum in the administration control panel ACP>>Home>>Options>>[SurreyForum] XenKingDir
- Note, you must select a forum as a "Directory Forum" for this to work
  • Update default Directory nodes ACP>>Applications>>Link Directory
Upgrade:

1. Unzip the following zip file, and copy over the original files with the new versions (just copy over the entire XenKingDir Folder)

2. From within the Admin Control Panel: yourforum/admin.php?add-ons/
find the XenKingDir, and select the options
Control >> Upgrade

3. Upgrade from file on server: library/XenKingDir/addon-XenKingDir.xml

Download:
Please Now Download from the resource area:
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/surreyforum-xenkingdir-link-business-directory-directory.134/

To Do List

* New List since 01/12/11 (the last to-do list was getting messy)
* I'm away for a few weeks (moving house) so there will not be any more updates until after December . I will continue this in 2012 :) .. Have a good Xmas an new year ppl

Enhacements

1) Payment Work Flows
i) Integrate with XF PayPal mechanism
ii) Pay for listing (possible options to re-occur, remove if no longer paying using cron)
2) Better layout for Directory (spacing)
3) Make reviews look different to normal threads (make people want to review directory listings)
4) Vote/Rate system (stars)
5) More Functionality Listed in the Nav Bar (top rated Dirs)
8) Integrate with xenKingPin (credits / advertising system) to allow options to pay for listing
9) XF Custom feilds, can the directory make use of these?
10) Multiple categories per listing (and list categories the listing belongs to) - Done XenKingDir_v1.1.3, 04/01/12
11) i)Code re-write: This will be big change to the model usage, to allow links from search/whats new to link to the review pages rather than the related threads. - Done XenKingDir_v1.1.3, 04/01/12 (still need clean up)

11) ii) Code clean up
12) Directory submission controlled by user group permissions (some groups can submit 0 listings, some X, some X+1, etc.)
13) Options to allow some directories to be "locked" / non-postable (for instance, top level directories)
14) Options to show the subcategories on the left hand side for the category that is selected. (instead of always showing the parent nodes)
15) Options to upload images to the review page (scrollable image list?)
16) Optionally displaying a "see more link" when there are X links under the parent category

(thanks DD, you've given me lots to think about)
17) A place for Google Ads [need more detail]
18) A method for Promoted Directory items to show more prominently
- Promoted listing on the Directory Main page, and / or sub pages (like the scrolling notices)
19) Directory items appear in Forum Searches [Search Integration] - Done XenKingDir_v1.1.3, 04/01/12
20) Able to add images to the directory list to make it look less boring. (this is not the same as images on the review listing)

21) Pending / active "should be only visible for Admin"
22) Option to turn off "subcategory title" when there are no sub categories

[Feel free to suggest Enhancements, and I will update this list here]

Must Fix Bugs:
#1 "Whats new?" currently links to threads and not reviews Fixed XenKingDir_v1.1.3, 04/01/12

Demo: http://www.surreyforum.co.uk/directory/ (same as the screenshots).

(6) A place for Google Ads
(7) A method for Promoted Directory items to show more prominently.

Navigating your links was frustrating with all the empty areas.
Maybe you need to have
http://www.surreyforum.co.uk/directory/health-beauty.50
each subcategory could list how many links it has:
Beauty Consultants (3)
Dentists (12)
Make up Artists or (0) or maybe empty categories shouldn't display.

(8) Directory items appear in Forum Searches [Search Integration]
(9) Search bar (preferably use Xenforo's native search bar) - maybe with a custom dropdown ?
(10) Able to Like Directory items.
(11) Able to add images to the directory list to make it look less boring.
XenKingDirectory.suggestions.webp
(12) Mockup of Category Listing.
XenKingDir.category.listing.mockup.webp
(13) Enable either an entry, list of entries, category, or the root directory list to be replaced by custom .HTML
ie. Maybe I might want to use Custom .HTML to Style "Directory of Pharmacies:". ( http://www.surreyforum.co.uk/directory/pharmacies.163 ) - Ideally the Style is separate from the content ... so the Style can easily be updated.

Excellent work ... the only problem I'm having with the demo is that I can't find the site listings in amongst all those empty categories.

Could you link to a category with a few links in it so we can see what the listings view looks like when it is populated?

Impressed though as it fits in with the forums very neatly!! :D

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Ah, I see now - a "listing" is like a forum post. Cool. (y)

Yes, it's basically a thread [With a Google map, contact details and links at the top]

I will customise it a little more in the next build, so it feels more like users are leaving a review rather than just replying to a thread post

Aww shucks. Was going to put this on, and only now saw it's been removed. I'll give it a go tomorrow. It looks very promising, indeed :)

How deep can this thing go? Can I make a category for each state ie Texas, Oklahoma etc... then have multiple categories in each state? Cities for example. Then categories like bars, stores, landmarks etc for each city?

looks great !!!
I would gladly pay your mentioned amount and much more if this could be nicely integrated into XF 1.1 and if it would work very similar to Alibaba.

- Any chance to integrate "Custom Profile Fields" from XF 1.1 for your "Update Listing" (for Company Profile Fields) ?

- Suppliers are not really interested in getting reviews, they are much more interested in having their own "Page" at which they can enter product-description, images, videos, news, etc.
example:
http://www.alibaba.com/Mushroom-Stone_pid13121102
http://joyslate-stone.en.alibaba.com/

- would be great to also have a Forum to post RFQ`s, so a buyer could enter a RFQ or products he is looking for.
example:
http://us.my.alibaba.com/rfq/reques...rfq=true&tracelog=buyer_channel_button01_0701

- Also including a link for "Start a Conversation" (Personal Conversation) would be good to add to the company-profile-page.

I've just added a fix

To update, just copy the files over the previous version (there are no database changes)

version XenKingDir_v1.0.2.zip added in the 1st post

How deep can this thing go? Can I make a category for each state ie Texas, Oklahoma etc... then have multiple categories in each state? Cities for example. Then categories like bars, stores, landmarks etc for each city?

Currently only 2 levels deep (top category and subcategories, I will update this soon to allow deeper categories)
It is designed to handle more, I just need make a few template adjustments, so next version it should in theory handle deeper categories

Edit: Update, 1.0.3 now supports a category depth of 5, this should be enough shouldn't it?

I've just tried installing on the 1.1 beta, I have not found any issues ( I can add a new listing and update an existing listing)

.. Seems to work ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom