• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[SurreyForum] XenKingDir: Link / Business Directory (Directory)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once I get 1.1 b working on my SMF site I am converting, I will send a donation your way. This might be the most useful add on for my uses I have found so far!!!

This now supports a category depth of 5, so you could have something like:

Planet >>
Country >>
County >>
Entertainment >>
Nights Out >>

<a list of all the nights out on Earth/England/Surrey, under the section Entertainment /Nights Out >

New version: XenKingDir_v1.0.3.zip (create and tested in 1.1 beta, works in previous build too)
.. a minor update, but I think most people need more depth

This is most excellent... you should make a youtube video showing the features it is capable of doing, especially the google maps feature. Can people upload pictures and tag them to the location? That would be badass, almost like Yelp.

Hm, bad that you're using threads instead of an own content type for this:(

PS:
XenKingDir_ControllerPublic_Reviews line 1453
PHP:
'previewUrl' => ($threadModel->hasPreview($thread) ? XenForo_Link::buildPublicLink('threads/preview', $thread) : '')
)

hasPreview needs at least the second parameter param
PHP:
    public function hasPreview(array $thread, array $forum, array $nodePermissions = null, array $viewingUser = null)
    {
        $this->standardizeViewingUserReferenceForNode($thread['node_id'], $viewingUser, $nodePermissions);

return
        (
            $thread['first_post_id']
            && XenForo_Application::get('options')->discussionPreviewLength
            && $this->isRedirect($thread) == false
            && XenForo_Permission::hasContentPermission($nodePermissions, 'viewContent')
        );
    }

Would be nice if you make the layout like this:

View attachment 19634

That's what I will be aiming for... getting the system in place was a start,
It needs some re-styling, I love the look of that review/directory, it's certainly given me some ideas.

Thanks..

Hm, bad that you're using threads instead of an own content type for this:(

Yup, putting the system in place was a start... threads was just an easy in place method to use, the templates are fairly independent so there shouldn't be any problems going forwards and improving on this.

hasPreview needs at least the second parameter param

Thanks, if I'm honest, this is very sticky-tapped together... I'm still getting my head around xenForo and quite new to OO (Java).

I need to work my way back and see what mistakes I've made, there will be tones, but to be honest, if it works, I might not fix all of them (unless they are performance related)

Great add-on. Thanks! Can you make it so that it uses the category name as page title when viewing categories?

That's what I will be aiming for... getting the system in place was a start,
It needs some re-styling, I love the look of that review/directory, it's certainly given me some ideas.

Thanks..
That's great, yeah you made a good start and I wish you good luck.

Is it possible to move a directory listing if it is posted in the wrong category ?
Could you please consider an email address input for a future version :)

updatecat.webp
see screen shot above

yes, login as the admin / content owner, then click the edit button and the drop down shows all the directory categories...
Its completely updateable if any mistakes are made

Instead of an email address, what about a link to a pop-up contact form (to contact them on the forum)
This way, the users come back and re-use the forum

I hate seeing email address. These get spidered / leached out by malicious/spamming users, the email addresses then get sold on and the poor users gets so much spam, they have to stop using their business email. I'm strictly against putting emails anywhere that can be reached by spiders

Minor update: XenKingDir_v1.0.5

I've added the contact link (its a contact link to the owner of the thread, so it assumes the content creator is the business owner)

I've also updated the look and feel of the the review items (logos/youtube video/gmap) to a more xenForo look and feel, they now also stretch well

Example, same links as before: http://www.surreyforum.co.uk/reviews/surrey-tutors-at-local-tutor.214

Minor update: XenKingDir_v1.0.5

I've added the contact link (its a contact link to the owner of the thread, so it assumes the content creator is the business owner)

Hiya Tenants,

Have been playing with this tonight - whilst everything seems grest not over sure that i like this one, only because The owner of the business might not be on the forum, however i may wish to have them there for people to contact - so of course if i create a directory entry then the contact button would point to me...!

Is there any chance we could have this switch-offable please (or at least not set in stone)? :)

Thanks
Paul

Looks great.
The category listings could use some templating.

surrey.directory.webp

You definitely need to be able to search the directory only.
Directory items showing up in What's New searches is a great thing, but they should be styled differently in the what's new so they stand out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom