• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[SurreyForum] XenKingDir: Link / Business Directory (Directory)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like this part:
- Note, you must select a forum as a "Directory Forum" for this to work

I created a forum called Directory and selected it as the directory forum but I dont want that showing up on my forum tree... I just want the directory tab to have directory stuff... help?

You can hide the "Directory Forum" from the forum node tree, see image below (I've just done it on my forum)

I want to remove dependency from forum threads completely, it was simple to create it this way (no re-inventing the wheel),
but there are some side affects that I don't like [When you click the reviews from the "what's new" link, it re-directs you to the thread view rather than the review page].

To remove the dependency will take a bit of work, but it has to be done (I don't like the way I've currently done this).

Attachments

• hide.webp
    hide.webp
    48.3 KB · Views: 34
Screen shot 2011-10-11 at 11.28.07 AM.webp
Screen shot 2011-10-11 at 11.30.36 AM.webp

Any reason why my google maps is just showing the town?
It is doing this for all of my entries and I am pretty sure the other day it showed the actual street location....

facebook recommend saves link to the threads view of the listing .. the reviews view of the listing includes the google map data.
all access to individual directory listings ought to be via the reviews node data, whether it be a facebook recommend or a visitor checking out the listings.

http://masterchief.com/reviews/ar-t-associates.181
http://masterchief.com/threads/ar-t-associates.181

Good spot, I'll fix this next version...
I've sent you a PM TPB about the location issue (something I commented out and forgot to put back in)... will fix next version too
I will also make it optional to add contact links next version
(the next version should be ready by the end of this weekend with a couple of other fixes)

The counter has been mentioned a couple of times, I'll add it to my "To-Do" list, thanks..

Added 1.0.6,

Contains fixes for "share this page" buttons, these now point to the review page

The nav bar now has links to:
Directory Home, New Listings, Submit Listing

You can now hide the directory from the Nav while you update the directory node_tree (the default node tree wont suite everyone, but you can update this in the ACP)
* Hide Directory From Nav

1.0.6 also contains options in the ACP to turn on / off:
* Allow Google Map
* Allow Deep Links
* Allow Logo
* Allow YouTube
* Allow Contact Link
* Allow Telephone Number
* Allow Site URL
* Allow Location

Additionally, I'm not sure how useful this is to anyone, but you can update the Phrase "post_fix_directory_of", so your directory titles contain a post fix phrase (my directory titles all have a post fix of "in Surrey"), this is set to blank by default

Looks good... how about an option where you can allow users to insert x number of links (where you could set x based on user group)?

I like this idea, but when you mention "x number of links", you are refering to directory listings and not deep links aren't you?
So a basic user can have Y number of directory listings and a promoted user can have X + Y number of directory listings...

I'll add it to my To Do List

I like this idea, but when you mention "x number of links", you are refering to directory listings and not deep links aren't you?
So a basic user can have Y number of directory listings and a promoted user can have X + Y number of directory listings...

I'll add it to my To Do List
To be honest, I haven't even had a chance to download it yet so I haven't installed and played with it yet... so I'm not even clear yet what the difference between a directory listing and a deep link is.

My thinking was that administrators manage the categories and then users (if they are part of a specific user group) could list their site somewhere in the directory (they pick the category they want it to be listed in).

are you planning to use custom-profile-fields ?
I will look at this for the next version

So custom profile fields would be something you would define in the ACP, like:
Custom1 <customName1> <Type: string/checkbox/date>
Custom2 <customName2> <Type: string/checkbox/date>
Custom3 <customName3> <Type: string/checkbox/date>

I assume, all of which wouldn't show up until defined and once defined, these would be present on the create-listing, update listing, and review page

Are custom strings / checkboxes and dates sufficient? For instance, you wouldn't want the data to be some how embedded on the page (like YouTube videos, or images), but just displayed as a strings/dates or checkboxes?

In this new version will it erase the edit I made to have the google map show the street the location is on instead of the city?

In this new version will it erase the edit I made to have the google map show the street the location is on instead of the city?

It should contain the fix for it.

Basically, a lot of people use a building name as the first line in the address, and then the house number + Street for the 2nd line of the address. When this happens, google maps doesn't really no where to point to, so instead of a street view, it brings up all the related business in that area with that Building Name (or related names)

Where in actual fact, if this Business name was removed, it would pin point the street view perfectly (I'm trying to support all reasonable and likely scenarios)
Google maps seems to only really need the Postcode (and a street name / or a town) to pin point the street using the street view

To work around this issue, on the Google map, for the parameter "q" I've removed the 1st line of the address when a 2nd line is present. If a second line of the address isn't present, I use the 1st line of the address

the hq part will still contain the full address (including the 1st and 2nd line of the address), but the q part will contain the cut down version, so you will have something like this:

maps.google.com/maps?q=<2ndline>+<town>+<postcode>&hq=<full address including the 1st line>&hnear=<town>+<postcode>

I've done some exploratory testing, and this seems to give a good street map view for many of the different address formats I've tried, as long as they don't do something extreme (like not use a postcode and street address)

This is amazing! Thank you for the work you are putting into this. Once I get it up and running, I will send you a donation :) I have plans to use this to somehow post actual rock climbing routes.

Any way to change business name to: Climbing Location or route? I think this will work best if I could add my own fields. And I would need to add photos of the climbing routes as well... shoudl allow multiple images.

Also, I like your mybb forums. Very nice site there

This is very nice and will likely replace the phpld directory my forum had, is there an option for paid featured links or anyway for the owners to make money of "better listings"?

Any way to change business name to: Climbing Location or route? I think this will work best if I could add my own fields. And I would need to add photos of the climbing routes as well... shoudl allow multiple images.

You can change the text "Business Name" by updating the phrase: business_name

Go to the ACP >> Appearance >> Phrases

then update the phrase "business_name"

This is also true for many of the other phrases used:

XF_Phrase : Text
address_line_1 : Address Line 1
address_line_2 : Address Line 2
add_listing: Add Listing
business_name : Business Name
contact_this_business : Contact This Business
create_listing : Create Listing
etc...