• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[SurreyForum] XenKingDir: Link / Business Directory (Directory)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just looking at the "whats new" links...
There are a couple of ways I could fix this, but I dont like either... I'll try to come up with this for the next build

Since there could be a cleaner way of fixing this, I've asked a related question here:
http://xenforo.com/community/thread...k-if-so-what-listener-do-i-need-to-use.25417/

Currently next build contains
* supports multi- languages
* supports multiple categories per listing
* hopefully will contain a fix for "whats new"

I should add next build in about a week (since I'm still off line)

I hope you are enjoying your offline holidays ;) Thanks for looking into this.
I have a couple of specifics that relate to my install. As a beekeeping forum I'm not using 100's of categories like a full business directory would. As a result I have the following feedback

On the front page before clicking into a category I'm faced with a big blank space to the right, while the horizontal category list is far enough down the screen on my laptop below the left hand nav that its not visible without scrolling.
Screen Shot 2012-01-03 at 9.11.28 AM.webp

Am I best to change the CSS or template so as to not be affected with future upgrades of the product? Could you give me a pointer as to which areas to look at, basically to make the blue sections bigger as I will probably never have more than 10 sections?
On an individual listing though, I note that if a physical location isn't entered, then no map can load (eg, Marsh's Honey) and again there's a large blank space left while the information of the post is so low down the screen I can't see it without scrolling.

I'm not sure on how best to approach this one, but without a map I do agree there is tons of whitespace. The only thing I could think of....
Could the position of the map and post info be switched in the individual listing so the map is below - after all, the map is only going to be relevant once you've established you're looking at the right thing, so the post info, to my mind, should come first anyway - and that would resolve the blank space issue. .
Screen Shot 2012-01-03 at 9.11.47 AM.webp

Many thanks for your consideration.

The white space issue when google maps arent present should be resolved in 1.1.2, I've modified the template a bit... try viewing the page when you are not logged in / with a user that does not have privileges to update the listing

1.1.2 contains
* Support for multi byte languages
* Multiple categories per listing
* Contains a fix for "whats new" (and search results)
* Less white space when google maps are not present
* Buttons to update individual areas of the listing when a mod/admin/thread owner is logged in

I dont have ftp access (I wont have internet access for a couple of weeks)
I've tested 1.1.2 locally, but havent been able to put it on Surrey Forum yet

If anyone wants an early version of 1.1.2 its attached here, but it may require some testing.
If you do test this version and find no new bugs, let me know so I can add it to the 1st page: <This has now been removed, go to the first page for the latest tested build>

Avoid testing on a production site, since this is not fully tested yet: < This has now been removed, go to the first page for the latest tested build>

Am I best to change the CSS or template so as to not be affected with future upgrades of the product? Could you give me a pointer as to which areas to look at, basically to make the blue sections bigger as I will probably never have more than 10 sections?

From what I've see of others using this plug-in, a small number of categories is not that rare (I'll try to make a more acceptable view when there are only 10s of categores and no sub categories)

For now, for the directory page, you can update the css template named: sfdirectory.css

To change the font size, modify:

Code:
.dirContainer h3 a:link, h3 a:visited {
    color: #6CB2E4;
    font-size: 16pt; // modify here
    margin-bottom: 5px;
    padding-bottom: 2px;
}

To reduce gap on the right, modify:
Code:
.dirBlock {
    display: block;
    float: left;
    padding: 3px 8px;
    width: 32%; // modify here
}
You might also want to adjust the padding of the dirBlock
The upgrade wont overwrite modified templates (css or normal) unless you specifically ask it to using the "Outdated Templates" area

[I'm still not on the internet for a few weeks, so I can’t give immediate support, but should be able to respond to most things at lunch time from work]

See last post for untested version of 1.1.2

[I'm still not on the internet for a few weeks, so I can’t give immediate support, but should be able to respond to most things at lunch time from work]
See last post for untested version of 1.1.2

That's brilliant thank you. I don't think the attachment of 1.1.2 made it to the post.

Just added XenKingDir_v1.1.3.zip to the 1st post,
this contains a fix for 1.1.2 and all above enhaments

* Support for multi byte languages
* Multiple categories per listing
* Contains a fix for "whats new" (and search results)
* Less white space when google maps are not present
* Buttons to update individual areas of the listing when a mod/admin/thread owner is logged in

So now can I add the new posts to whats new that wont have them go to a thread view, but to the directory listing?

I didnt get around to adding an upload image button in this build, but next build i'm planning on intergrating the 1st post with the map area, and make replies look more like review comments (so I can just expose the attachment button for posts)

So now can I add the new posts to whats new that wont have them go to a thread view, but to the directory listing?
It should be automatic (if the thread is in the directory forum, the review link is displayed)... So yes, I believe this is a fix you wanted

You won't see it on surrey forum yet (I still do not have Internet access). Sadly I can't upgrade my site on the iPhone ... This build everyone gets before me. However, I've tested it locally

I've just spotted a bug when updating deep links (they all upate to the same URL) it's fixed, but I can't upload the next build until tommorow

I think the whats new fix did not work. I still have it after the upgrade. Is this my fault or is it not resolved?

Note: I fix my problem of the whats new list not removing my listings after visiting them. I just for now in the directory forum , unchecked to include it in the whats new list....This works good enough.

I think the whats new fix did not work. I still have it after the upgrade. Is this my fault or is it not resolved?

Note: I fix my problem of the whats new list not removing my listings after visiting them. I just for now in the directory forum , unchecked to include it in the whats new list....This works good enough.

The what's new area now link to reviews when posts/threads are from the directory forum, this should be fixed... can you show me an example, thanks.

Looks like there might be a conflict with xenattendo if you want to check out their add on thread...
There shouldn't be, I've tested it using xenattendo and a few others...
Can you provide more details, is there an error message?

<= I will look at this tonight and provide a fix 1st thing tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom