Resource icon

[SurreyForum] XenAdShare 1.0.7

No permission to download
Would it be possible to somehow add some kind of a glaf/option setting that indicates wheter the ad displayed b elongs to a user or not?

(sorry I didn't respond immediately, I've just got back from holiday today and made a quick update)

Yes, it's sounds like what you need is already there with the ACP option :

Display Ad Username: Displays the username of who's Ad is being shown below the advert

It's just a bit of text under the Ad. However, it's quite easy to modify this to your needs using the template:

sf_xenadshare_footer
and
sf_xenadshare_thread_google_ad

for instance, instead of using this in the sf_xenadshare_footer:

Code:
<xen:if is="{$displayAdUser}">
<span style="float: left;font-size: 11px;height:12px;" class="muted">
Ad User: {$pub_user}
</span>
</xen:if>

you could update the ad sf_xenadshare_thread_google_ad to do something like this (a green border for user Ads):

Code:
<div style ="width: {$google_ad_width}px;margin: 0px auto;padding-top: 10px;padding-bottom: 2px;
<xen:if is="{$displayAdUser}">
border: 3px solid green;
</xen:if>
">

<script type="text/javascript"><!--
google_ad_client = "{$google_ad_client}";
/* {$google_ad_comment} */
google_ad_slot = "{$google_ad_slot}";
google_ad_width = {$google_ad_width};
google_ad_height = {$google_ad_height};
//-->
</script>
<script type="text/javascript"
src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">
</script>

</div>

Thats just an idea (a basic example that you can further customise) if you prefer something other than the text
Ad User: Tenants
Ad User: Forum

Let me know if you need something else / have ideas for enhancements

This keeps getting better! Maybe an option to select which forums ads will/will not appear?
Yes, thats a good idea and fairly easy to implement.

Although, for those forum that are not selected as "AdShare Forums" should they

1) Show the default Ad
or
2)Show no Ads

(maybe I should have this as an option too)

Yes, thats a good idea and fairly easy to implement.

Although, for those forum that are not selected as "AdShare Forums" should they

1) Show the default Ad
or
2)Show no Ads

(maybe I should have this as an option too)

I think the option for both would be great.

I would love it the users could only enter their adsense publisher ID, instead of all the code.
This way admin could choose the code for which Ad Size to use and xenadshare just insert the publisherID of the user.

I would love it the users could only enter their adsense publisher ID, instead of all the code.
This way admin could choose the code for which Ad Size to use and xenadshare just insert the publisherID of the user.

Hmmm... sorry, that would be modifying the Google code, which I've tried to avoid
(it does explictly say in the adsense policies, a clip and link below)

Instead, you can restrict the user to only using certain formats (defined in the ACP)
so the admin can still
choose the code for which Ad Size to use
But the user is given a warning if they paste the wrong type of adsense code in

From : https://support.google.com/adsense/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1261929&topic=1261918&ctx=topic
Program policies
Stay compliant with our policies
  1. Don't click on your own ads.
  2. Don't ask others to click on your ads.
  3. Don't include any prohibited site content, including adult content, violence or excessive profanity, drugs (including alcohol and tobacco), or copyrighted material.
  4. Don't modify the AdSense code.
  5. Do follow our Webmaster Quality Guidelines.
  6. Do provide a good user experience.
  7. Don't place more than 3 ad units, 3 link units, and 2 search boxes on any page.
  8. Don't place images near ads in a way that may mislead users into thinking that the images are associated with the ads.
Point 4: The HTML that is placed on any page of an approved site by the publisher who owns the site, allowing ads to be shown on that page in a specific ad layout format.

I have to disagree what you are saying.
What I am asking doesn't modify the google code if you are simply replacing a variable in the "pre output".
As long as the "code shown the user" is exactly as google wants it, then there is no issue, I have been doing this for years with other sofware and no issues.
Also many applications also do this functionality. Look at wordpress, there are several dozen plugins that offer this and have been doing this for many years.
If what you say is true they would be banned in the wordpress plugins directory.

What google don't want you to modify is the output code which is what the end users sees.

example
Code:
<script type="text/javascript"><!--
google_ad_client = "{InSERT_PUBLISHER_ID}";
/* 160x600, created 12/9/09 */
google_ad_width = 160;
google_ad_height = 600;
//-->
</script>
<script type="text/javascript"
src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">
</script>

and then when the page is output to the user the publisher id is inserted

I have seen others doing it... but I just can't find any official document to say that you can do it.

If you can find something official, then I will be more than willing to do this
(Just using the pub id would give more "easy to define" control back to the admin, so I do actually want to do this)

Some of my users are better at replying to posts versus starting new threads. Their contributions are valuable nonetheless.

Can you add a feature to also display Adsense for the user who submits the last post? If the thread spans several paginations, then the user who submits the last post for those pages respectively would get credit.

Therefore, the breakdown for ad share would be split three ways:
  1. Forum owner
  2. Thread creator
  3. Last post creator (respectively per page)

Regarding ad positions. two additional spots would be helpful:
  • Above Thread Messages
  • Below Thread Messages

Finally, what if you added self serve ad booking, where advertisers can submit and pay for a banner or text link ad? The user who created the thread would get a portion of the ad revenue as well, which can be paid out in Paypal. All submitted ads would have to be approved before they go live. There could be a link somewhere that says, "Your ad here". Forum owners can set the ad rates to differ for each forum/subforum.

Overall, these implementations could really shake things up and add an interesting dynamic to how users behave knowing that they will be rewarded in a multitude of ways.

Regarding the Pub ID, I also recommend allowing the user to enter it vs the entire Adsense code. It's become standard practice across many revenue sharing sites over the last several years. I understand Google's "written" policies, but the internet changes quite rapidly, and there's something to be said for the "spirit" of a rule. In this case, we are simply expediting the process for the end user. It's possible some of my older users may get confused if they have to copy and paste Adsense code (seriously).

Regarding the Pub ID, I also recommend allowing the user to enter it vs the entire Adsense code. It's become standard practice across many revenue sharing sites over the last several years. I understand Google's "written" policies, but the internet changes quite rapidly, and there's something to be said for the "spirit" of a rule. In this case, we are simply expediting the process for the end user. It's possible some of my older users may get confused if they have to copy and paste Adsense code (seriously).

Well, I suppose I can make this an option via the ACP
(But it will be an option modified at your own discretion, since there is nothing in the Google documentation to say that this is allowed)

Option: Full Adsense Code / Pub ID

--- I'll look at updating this soon

Some of my users are better at replying to posts versus starting new threads. Their contributions are valuable nonetheless.

Can you add a feature to also display Adsense for the user who submits the last post? If the thread spans several paginations, then the user who submits the last post for those pages respectively would get credit.

Therefore, the breakdown for ad share would be split three ways:
  1. Forum owner
  2. Thread creator
  3. Last post creator (respectively per page)

I like this as concept, it gives the users incentive to reply. Currently this setting is defined in the ACP user permissions, so different user groups can have different percentages. But how would this be definable in the user permissions?

Currently, we have one setting for this:
Percentage User Ad: 0 - 100%

Two setting wouldn't make sense, since you could set both of them to 100%
Regarding ad positions. two additional spots would be helpful:
  • Above Thread Messages
  • Below Thread Messages
can be done.. will look into it
Finally, what if you added self serve ad booking, where advertisers can submit and pay for a banner or text link ad? The user who created the thread would get a portion of the ad revenue as well, which can be paid out in Paypal. All submitted ads would have to be approved before they go live. There could be a link somewhere that says, "Your ad here". Forum owners can set the ad rates to differ for each forum/subforum.

Overall, these implementations could really shake things up and add an interesting dynamic to how users behave knowing that they will be rewarded in a multitude of ways.

At this point, we're going into the direction of Ad Management (For now, this is just an Ad Revenue Sharing Plugin)

Top Bottom