Resource icon

[SurreyForum] XenAdShare 1.0.7

No permission to download

tenants

LeaderboardAd.webpoptions.webpperms.webp
tenants submitted a new resource:

[SurreyForum] XenAdShare (version 1.0.1) - Share Adsense Revenue With Thread Creators

Feel free to Donate, a donation of £20 (or more) earns you the right to remove the copyright for this mod from a single install.

This is a simple revenue sharing plug-in controlled by usergroup permisions

This allows thread creators to display their own adsense below posts in the threads they start, and to do this x% of the time, where x is defined by the forum admin.
A...

Read more about this resource...

To do
(let me know what you would like to see)
1) Different % share for different usergroups -Done: v1.0.4
2) an option to select which forums ads will/will not appear -Done: v1.0.5

Bugs to fix
1) let me know, I will fix asap

A General Guide to setting things up once you've installed it
(permissions and things like that)

The first thing you need to do after installing is
1) Ad your default Adsense code to the options (I recommend a 728_x_90_-_Leaderboard)
i) Login to the admin control panel
ii) Select Options >> [SurreyForum] XenAdShare >> Paste in your Adsense code directly from Adsense (without making any changes)

2) Select the forums where you wish XenAdShare to be active
i) Login to your admin control panel
ii) Select Options >> [SurreyForum] XenAdShare
iii) Multi-select the active forums within "AdShare Forums" using ctrl / shift

3) Make sure all users have permissions to view ads
To do this
i) Login to your admin control panel
ii) Select Users >> User Group Permissions
iii) Give all groups "Can View Ads: Allow"
However, you probably want those members who have paid to not view ads to not view them ("Can View Ads: Never")

4) Give your Form Administrator (you) the following permissions:

Can View Ads: Allow
This allows you to view Ads

Percentage User Ad: 0-100%
This is the % that the users ad will be displayed (as apposed to the default Forum ad).
(0 = default ad always displayed, 100 = user ad always displayed). Setting this value to > 100 or Unlimited has the same affect as setting this value to 100

Can Display Own Adsense Ads: Allow
This makes the Adsense field available in the users personal details, and if this field is complete allows the user to display their own adds on the threads they create

Can Update Ads Once (from empty): Allow
It's likely that you will not want users trying a variation of adverts, this allows users to update their Adsense code once(from the blank default). If the user wishes to make further changes,
they will need to contact a member with "Can Update Anyones Adsense Code" permissions who can then make the changes / reset the code to blank so they can again update their
Adsense code once

Can Update Ads Multiple Times: Allow
If you want to allow users to make as many updates as they wish to their adsense

Can Update Anyones Adsense Code: Allow
This alows users to update anyones Adsense via the members page (if problems arrise, or users need their adsense code to be reset/deleted so they can make changes)
Only people with this permisions will be able to see and update user adsense code via the members page (clicking their profile image)
I recomend only giving this permision to your Forum Administrator

5) Select/create a group that you want to be able ad their own Ads, and give that group the following permisions:

i) Can Display Own Adsense Ads: Allow
ii) A value for Percentage User Ad (for example, setting this to 75 will display the users AdSense 75% of the time and the default forum ad the other 25% of the time)
iii)
Can Update Ads Once (from empty): Allow
Or
Can Update Ads Multiple Times: Allow

6) Provide a notice or thread explaining
i) Members that achive "said" user group promotion / indviudlay selected users can now share adsense by adding their google adsense code to their personal details
- this code should be pasted directly from their google adsense code, without making any changes
ii) Detail which ad sizes are allowed, for example, only: "728 x 90 - Leaderboard" is allowed
iii) Make sure you exlain and make clear the percentage of Ads of theirs that you will be displaying
iv) Explain that you reserve the right to remove users adsense code

7) At this point, you might also want to offer users the option (paid?) to turn ads off (Can View Ads: Never)

This is an early version, I've just started using it on my forum.. .

An example of the shared ad can be seen here:
http://www.surreyforum.co.uk/threads/surrey-forum-site-development.393/
If you refresh that page a few times, you'll see the ad user (and usually subsequent adsense code) change.

75% of the time the user ads are displayed, 25% of the time the forum ads are displayed
This percentage is definable in the ACP
(optional) The users who's ad is currently showing is displayed below the ad
(optional) The ad percentage is shown below the ad

feedback / testing is welcome

no changes to the Adsense code are made.
However, it does not use the active pasted code (avoiding live script)

... this plug-in searches for the values of the following params in the Google Adsense:

google_ad_client
comment
google_ad_slot
google_ad_width
google_ad_height

It then uses these values to display the users adsense

How about differents % share for differents usergroups?

I can see that would be useful, but any ideas of what you think the best way to implement it would be?

You can't define a percentage in the permissions / user groups (they either have a permission "allow" / "never")
And you can't really access user groups from the options area (it would be messy even if you could)

So where and how would you define these different user groups percentages? If you can think of how this would work in the ACP I can probably do it (or at least try ;) )

One way I thought would be to have 3 customisable percentages in the options
group1 percentage
group2 percentage
group3 percentage

and then have permissions "is-group1", "is-group2", "is-group3"

This isn't ideal, it's messy, non intuitive and what should happen if a usergroup is-group1 and is-group2

Additionally, there is also the issue that when sharing revenue, it needs to be made clear to the user what percentage or revenue they are actually getting. Having different % does obfuscate matters, so needs to be made very clear to the user

Any ideas for a design overview for "different % share for different usergroups"?

If I'm not wrong editing a usergroup you can set the number of minutes for the time limit (editing or deleting own post).

If I'm not wrong editing a usergroup you can set the number of minutes for the time limit (editing or deleting own post).
I see.. okay, I could have it so that you can set the percentage in the permissions area

That would work, and you would only need one permission for this (instead of the 3 groups above)... I'll add it to the To-Do list in the first post, it shouldn't be hard to do.

There is still the need for you as the forum admin to make it clear what percentage Ads will be shown.

Will their banner show up on all previous Threads they have started as well?

if so then that is AWESOME!

Yes, its added via the post hook... so it will be in all threads.

If the user has added their adsense code and they are allowed to show adsense, then their ad will show in all threads they've created (and new ones)

Can you send me your paypal address, ill donate now - btw how much is that in USD? I'd like to remove the copyright right away plz, thx

The link is on the first page:
Feel free to >>>>Donate<<<< , a donation of £20 (or more) earns you the right to remove the copyright for this mod from a single install.

Clicking the blue donate link should take you there (I've noticed sometimes you might have to wait 10-20 seconds for paypal to think about it ????)

PayPal usually tells you the amount in you're own currency, if not, this links should help:
http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert/?Amount=20&From=GBP&To=USD

Hi tenants,
Great addon! I have one problem and one suggestion. I have Display User Ad % unchecked and it still shows the User Ads 75% : Forum Ads 25% under my ads. Any ideas?
Now for my suggestion. For the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd ad position an option to allow the ad to be in the last post.

Edit: Another idea would be to have the ad positions correspond with how many messages per page. For example, if I have 10 messages per page and set ad positions to message #1, #5, and #10 it would show in those positions on each page of the thread. So the next page it would show ads on messages #11, #16, and #20. That way you could have 3 ads for each page of a thread, not just 3 total. It might be a little overkill but might be good for communities with large threads.

Hi tenants,
Great addon! I have one problem and one suggestion. I have Display User Ad % unchecked and it still shows the User Ads 75% : Forum Ads 25% under my ads. Any ideas?
Now for my suggestion. For the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd ad position an option to allow the ad to be in the last post.
Thanks for letting me know, that's a template bug I need to fix in the next version (I suspected I had not added that option to the template)

Edit: Another idea would be to have the ad positions correspond with how many messages per page. For example, if I have 10 messages per page and set ad positions to message #1, #5, and #10 it would show in those positions on each page of the thread. So the next page it would show ads on messages #11, #16, and #20. That way you could have 3 messages for each page of a thread, not just 3 total. It might be a little overkill but might be good for communities with large threads.

Yes, good idea, this will also go in the next version

Would it be possible to somehow add some kind of a glaf/option setting that indicates wheter the ad displayed b elongs to a user or not?

We use the Ad Manager by Robbo to display ads, and if there's some kind of setting indicating whether or not a user ad is displayed, it might be possible to get the other ads to be surpressed that way.

Though a quick search gave me this link:

http://adsense.blogspot.com.au/2008/07/sharing-your-ad-space.html

Update:

This article seems to state the same:

https://support.google.com/adsense/bin/answer.py?hl=en-GB&answer=1346295&topic=1271508&rd=1

See the section called "Ads on the same page or site as another publisher".

SchmitzIT,
There is an option to display the user's name under the ads.
For example, it shows: Ad User: TRACKMIXERS. When the % of ad display is not in my favor and shows the forum's ads it sais: Ad User: Forum.
Hope that helps...

Top Bottom