Lack of interest [Suggestion] Usergroup Permissions - Multiple Usergroups on 1 Group of Permissions

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

James

On my current forum that runs vBulletin, I have multiple usergroups that have the same set of usergroup (not forum) permissions. As these all have the same permissions, if I want to update a permission I have to update it on 8 or 9 different usergroups.

Using the method I am thinking of, you could link multiple usergroups to 1 set of permissions and then change all of the usergroup's permissions by changing just one set of permissions.

This would possibly be easier on the database too... if it's implemented in the way I am thinking of it.

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
If this is implemented - ask if the administrator would like to change permission for these groups. With check boxes next to them.

Sometimes, its best to leave others alone....

If this is implemented - ask if the administrator would like to change permission for these groups. With check boxes next to them.

Sometimes, its best to leave others alone....
Indeed, but perhaps ugp permissions can work with inheritance like forum permissions do. :) This way I am able to just edit the parent permission and people can still either not add child permissions or edit the children separately.

Out of curiosity, why are the groups separate? Were their permissions different at some time in the past?

Out of curiosity, why are the groups separate? Were their permissions different at some time in the past?
They're separate because they correspond to different staff groups, different usertitles, different forum permissions (some have access to staff-specific sections, moderators accessing moderator forums but not admin forums etc).

Fair enough. You could probably restructure your setup to reduce duplication by having one group that sets up all those behaviors and then additional groups for the smaller modifications, though that might not be as straight forward.

Fair enough. You could probably restructure your setup to reduce duplication by having one group that sets up all those behaviors and then additional groups for the smaller modifications, though that might not be as straight forward.
I didn't originally create the setup (if I did I wouldn't have to make so many damn changes :() but it'd be a lot easier if I could apply 1 change to multiple usergroups. I'm not sure how UGP permissions are set up here (probably a Have You Seen...? post sometime soon) but I hope it allows me to modify my usergroups better than vBulletin does at the minute!

Yeah this is a very frustrating task. When you have many different usergroups for different purposes but all use the same usergroup permissions but different forum permissions, its a huge undertaking to match usergroup permissions when a new feature is released or you simply decide to alter certain settings.

For example with vB, when the signature control feature was implemented, it took a very, very long time to update over a dozen usergroups to have the same usergroup signature permissions.

I think one way to make these things easier would be hyrarchial user group permissions. Like the way vBulletin's group forum permissions are set up.

You could have the normal "Members" user group. Then you could create child-groups and only change the settings you want to differ. All unchanged settings are inherited from the parent user group "Members".
That would make things a lot easier for boards with several user groups.

You could reverse the entire method that other platforms have become so familiar with, and make one list of permissions with any usergroups simply an option beside the permission. Tick and flick, instead of create usergroup with all permissions that need to be assigned, not assigned. Why not have one page of permissions, and just assign / not assign usergroups to them. Vice versa works!!!

Then your forum permissions are no longer so cumbersome changing specific forums for access, instead you just assign the usergroup to the forum. Its permissions are used, period.

You literally work based on usergroups, not usergroup permissions then forum permissions....

I think one way to make these things easier would be hyrarchial user group permissions. Like the way vBulletin's group forum permissions are set up.

You could have the normal "Members" user group. Then you could create child-groups and only change the settings you want to differ. All unchanged settings are inherited from the parent user group "Members".
That would make things a lot easier for boards with several user groups.
You could reverse the entire method that other platforms have become so familiar with, and make one list of permissions with any usergroups simply an option beside the permission. Tick and flick, instead of create usergroup with all permissions that need to be assigned, not assigned. Why not have one page of permissions, and just assign / not assign usergroups to them. Vice versa works!!!

Then your forum permissions are no longer so cumbersome changing specific forums for access, instead you just assign the usergroup to the forum. Its permissions are used, period.

You literally work based on usergroups, not usergroup permissions then forum permissions....

Probably the best suggestions having to do with permission management I've seen ;p.

Top Bottom