Not planned [Suggestion] Threaded ability and display

Andrew B.

I would like to see support for practical threaded display. This would include a scrollable thread tree window that can fit on the screen along with the message being displayed. The tree would show which messages are read and unread. It would provide an easy way to navigate the tree.

Also, the admin panel would allow the turning on of a feature where each message's info shows which member the message is responding to, along with a link to that message.

When entering the forum, users would have a link they can click to see all new messages written to them. They would also be able to subscribe in a way where they are notified of new messages to them.

If this ability is not one of your main concerns now, at least build the basic processes of the forum in a way that would allow you to add this later.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
There was another post about threaded display, and I think the consensus was that the majority of people do not use it.

Myself, I have never seen one of my members use it, and I think the use of it would often display them as they're not use to older style BBS systems.

Myself, I have never seen one of my members use it, and I think the use of it would often display them as they're not use to older style BBS systems.
The use of this depends on the community. If most of the people in the community are flat-boarders then it is of no use because they won't be replying in a way to make it work. But if it's a community of threaders, then it works out great. I just happen to know a bunch of threading communities.

I highly doubt we'll see this feature. It potentially compromises other features (like QR) and adds a significant amount of complexity to other interactions (eg, merge and split).

I highly doubt we'll see this feature. It potentially compromises other features (like QR) and adds a significant amount of complexity to other interactions (eg, merge and split).

Good point. Fully implementation of threading would be complicated. I don't think I'd want to tackle it. OTOH, there's the possibility of limited implementation like vBulletin does.

And for the others who are posting here, I was not suggesting that threaded mode be the only mode. I think it goes without saying that there should also be a linear mode.

Top Bottom