Implemented [Suggestion] Ability to send alert to all online members

Ryan Kent

Anytime an update comes out for an add-on or style, the installation freezes the forums. I would like to be able to send an alert to all online members with a notification "the site is undergoing maintenance and may not be responsive for a few minutes". I am not aware of any current way to let users know about the maintenance other then making a forum post which many wont see.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I do have this add-on installed but to the best of my knowledge it allows me to send alerts to user groups. I would prefer not to send an alert to all registered users when it only pertains to those who are online.

I would guess a modification would need to be made to create a user group which adds/removes users as they go online/offline?

I think this particular piece should be in the core. Anytime a site needs to perform an update you will have every user start to post/msn/etc the site is down when really it is undergoing a planned maintenance. For my site, I will set a planned maintenance window, post a thread, etc but there will be users who miss the notice.

Why don't you just close the board 5 minutes before you start the upgrade and change the message to state what's happening?

That's what I do.

That's better than an alert as the members can't miss it then, which some will if they don't immediately check their alerts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dismissing your alerts idea.
I'm sure some will find it useful.

But in the meantime, I think that's the best way of informing online members than an upgrade is imminent.

Top Bottom