1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest [Suggestion] Thread Auto-Split / Recurring Threads

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by lazy llama, Sep 19, 2011.

1. lazy llama

lazy llama Well-Known Member

I've not thought this through too much but:
    • Option to have threads auto-split at a certain number of posts
    • Option to have threads auto-split at a certain period of time, usually monthly.
    This could be set by admins as a thread option.
    The type of threads I'm thinking of are "Photo Competition" where a new one is started each month, or for auto-splitting of huge ongoing "What's for lunch" threads.
    The advantage is that it helps prevent huge threads, and removes the need for manual thread splitting/creation.

2. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

Why not have a Photo Competition forum with new threads in that forum each month ?

I don't think these need to be split. Actually you probably want them in just one place, not junking things up.
    Someone (Jake?) said there is no performance hit for large threads.
    I want to get rid of large threads because of the information loss.
    ie. can't find stuff.
    etc.

3. Digital Doctor

How are huge threads a problem for you ?

Do you have the problem of important information getting lost in a mega thread ?
    Can you point me to one on your site that you would like the information "better organized".

4. lazy llama

lazy llama Well-Known Member

Could be done as a sub forum but it would still mean manual creation/close each month, and would also mean people going looking for it specifically rather than just finding in the Photo forum while they're browsing.
    I think I've seen people saying that certain thread actions take a long time on large threads.
    "Thread this search" would make a big impact on that.

5. Digital Doctor

Good point.
    hmmm ... thanks for that.
    So obvious but I didn't think of it.
    getting rid of subforums is a good idea.

A version of getting rid of forums is having a forum display everything (including the subforums) but when you click on the subforum ... you are just accessing the posts in the subforum.
    get it ? Not sure if a vB mod did this.

yea. getting rid of mega threads could help some performance things.
    forums.bukkit.org has thread searching in xenforo.