Lack of interest [Suggestion] Show new replies to posts button.

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

jonsidneyb

People who have not used this don't seem to understand how nice this is. The people who have had the feature seem to all love it. I have had many members say they miss this feature.

The alert system is nice but the show new replies I think people will like better. It is one of those things that you have to use to appreciate. I have seen some people mention that they would like to see it on vB. The response they get is to subscribe to the thread. It's not the same.

It would be nice to have a link that shows replies to your threads that does not go away until you go into the thread. Well at least I would think it would be nice.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I have never understood the difference between the feature on SMF show new replies to posts, and vBulletin's subscriptions.
It shows you that: 1, a message you subscribed/responded to has been updated and 2, shows it in one area.

How are the two different? SMF for me only has alway show the topics themselfs, not specific posts.

How it is different than the subscriptions (people that use this use both). Using subscriptions you get a massively large list of subscriptions to look at.

There maybe 30 threads each for the properties of steel types. Some of these threads after the first year will only get one questions every three months or even a year. Then there will more than 100 types of synthetic materials. Then other threads.

On a given day people might check 30 or 40 threads each day to see if there are questions.

On the alerts I am concerned it might be difficult when there might be 60 or more replies you want to read. People quit doing some activities that they used to do including myself.

It seems that having this feature causes you to take on things you otherwise would not try to do.

Before I would subscribe to some things but it gets too big too fast. The SMF feature is easy as threads you need to keep tabs on that only has one questions a year don't get missed. Before it could talk a good chunk of a day to address those but that resulted in the majority of the cash flow. I would be automatically kind of subscribed to thousands of threads then have the subscription system more targeted.

The members kept on top of many things they would not otherwise have tried to take on. The items I would have read in SMF are not on there anymore but the ones replies I had not read would still be on the list. To subscribe to all that would just be pages and pages of subscriptions.

I cut out the biggest part of my business and my members stopped a bunch of the things they did as well. As subscriptions became to cumbersome.

Not everyone has as much use for it but I have people still asking for it back.

I am sure I can get it done as a custom plug in for enough money.

The members kept on top of many things they would not otherwise have tried to take on. The items I would have read in SMF are not on there anymore but the ones replies I had not read would still be on the list. To subscribe to all that would just be pages and pages of subscriptions.
The main page of the "watched threads" area only contains threads with unread posts in them. (The management page is the big list, potentially).

That could work. For some people they might want all or maybe 80% threads they started to be watched and have a separate more focused subscription list.

Wonders if it could be made so that every thread started automatically becomes watched if the users wants it to be.

Any chance of some screen shots? Anyone a member of an SMF form?

I can sense what is being asked, but am not sure.

There are some really big SMF forums out there, they may be seeking an alternative.

I hate subscriptions. No, really - who ever subscribes to anything in our fastfood century? The only worms perishing their messages as a piece of gold?
Most of the people I know visit several forums every night to discuss subjects specific for that forum.
But I answer in hundreds topics. Why should I subscribe to that - i.e. make not necessary movement - when I just want to know which way went that discussion? I am not this topic fanatic, just to see what's up there.
You may say "that means you don't need this topic if not subscribed" - does it sound smart? Do you think why I answered in that topic? I was interested.
But the topic is not mine.
Do you think, a normal person must have 5000 subscriptions every night on his screen because the night before he was active and left too many messages and subscribed on all of them? That sounds weird.
That is the major difference - with Show All New Replies Where You Posted I can check the active topics immediately and decide which of them to visit. At least 50% I normally never visit again - either I said everything I wanted to let my steam out or I see people there who are not interesting to me.
Just compare: I push one button and renew all my dialogs of yesterday. Or: I subscribe to each topic I posted a message and then have to check all my subscriptions, think "do I need this subscription furthermore", then make 5000 unsubscriptions.
Do you want to make the forum so uncomfortable?!

I don't like SMF due to many reasons but the only thing I would take from that engine is this function. I love this function.

Top Bottom