Lack of interest [Suggestion] "reply" link needs help

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

"Mark"

As a new user to the forum, and liking the overall usability, one thing that was somewhat difficult was finding a quote button. After not finding one, I tried the reply button and was happy to see it quoted the response I wanted to quote.

But finding the reply button is somewhat tricky. It's not located next to the post content, where I was looking. Instead, it's buried far away in the right hand corner, over 120 px south of the text in a single-line comment like this, and 800 px east in a typical comment like this (1280 px wide typical screen). In fact, I first clicking on the orange "New" button, as that's where the reply/quote button would typically be.

Further complicating the issue is that the reply button is separated from the post by the signature line. While this does make logical sense, the signature line has the effect of further detaching the reply link from the post, especially if the user has a tall signature. See this post for an example. In fact, in that post, it almost looks like the reply button belongs to the post below.

I have three suggestions for improving things:
  1. Align the #, Like, and Reply links to top of the signature area instead of the bottom
  2. Reducing the width of the signature separator to 300ish pixels. Posts without a signature (and thus no signature bar) are far less confusing.
  3. Increasing the size of the #, Like, and Reply links so people see (and use) them. I haven't used the Like feature yet, because I'm a lazy human being and it's too much effort to find and mouse-over such a tiny target.
Alternatively, moving the entire messageMeta div in front of the messageContent div would solve the problem.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
While it will be easy to adjust the text on the link on your own installation, I will not be changing the default text for the Reply link. Don't forget that you are all seasoned administrators and it is your job to know the difference between different functions, so you probably do want to know the distinction between simply posting a new reply and quoting another, but most users don't care. They know what they fundamentally want to do, which is reply. The fact that it also quotes is a bonus feature for novice users, and they can choose to delete the quoted text if they want to do so.

By some of the logic I've seen in this thread, perhaps we should be making changes such as changing the 'New Thread' button to 'Open a new page with a form to create a new thread' so that it describes exactly what the button is going to do?

perhaps we should be making changes such as changing the 'New Thread' button to 'Open a new page with a form to create a new thread' so that it describes exactly what the button is going to do?

LOL .. slight exageration there :p but sure, it's your baby, you call that link "Fred" if you want ;) we'll still love the product enough regardless.

I have to admit, I changed the "reply" button to "quote" on my board because nobody got that it was for quoting people. And for awhile there, the "New Thread" button actually did say, "Use this to start a new thread." We were coming off of ezBoard and people were already a little freaked out ... I took the path of least resistance.

But I do think Reply is right where it should be, because as I scroll down reading the posts the cursor is already on the right side in that general area and it's overall handy.

Not even after they've done it once?

Seriously... *nods* for some people it takes a full explanation, and even then some people will still do it, the forum I set up was only temporary and was taken down after about 6 months, but several of the members just couldn't work it out that Reply meant to 'reply with a quote of this post' it just didn't sink in.

In fact there was a similar thread here somewhere, and someone said he spends ages each morning cleaning up posts with extraneous quotes in :p

The Internet has a learning curve; making things simple to use for the majority is one thing, but dumbing down the system to the point of being redundant is ridiculous.

Reply seems much more logical then quote, because you are doing much more then quoting a post, you generally just use the quote to show what you are responding to, and use re-iteration to bring about your point.

And yes, while some people have problems tying their e-shoes and stepping out into the virtual world, at least give them the benefit of the doubt of being able to learn something as simple as replying to posts  and the like... It is far from rocket science.

As for the position and everything... Again, users will learn where it is, though it is logical to have it at the end of the post, and below the signature. Using the fluid theme, with 1600x900, I had no trouble finding it, and I doubt it will be a problem for most people, as its a common location (Bottom right) for important post-related buttons (Even if it is usually above signatures). 

The only thing missing is a better MQ system. There's no need for a complete link to do this. Just adding a + icon to the right of 'Reply' would suffice. That's very little clutter for a lot of extra functionality.

Spot on.

Not even after they've done it once?
Seriously... *nods* for some people it takes a full explanation, and even then some people will still do it, the forum I set up was only temporary and was taken down after about 6 months, but several of the members just couldn't work it out that Reply meant to 'reply with a quote of this post' it just didn't sink in.

In fact there was a similar thread here somewhere, and someone said he spends ages each morning cleaning up posts with extraneous quotes in :p
Some can't even get through the (easy) registration process, let alone understand post functionality. I almost feel like I don't even want those people to become a member if you know what I mean ;)

Some can't even get through the (easy) registration process, let alone understand post functionality. I almost feel like I don't even want those people to become a member if you know what I mean ;)

Yarr it is true, there is no underestimating the amount of hand holding some people need.. but the *up* side of that is those very people are the best members as they usually don't go elsewhere, once they get used to one kind of software, they don't like changing, or going to other sites, so if you treat them with respect and understanding that they are non-technical, they are often very loyal members :) Your forum will literally be their online home.

Heck I wouldn't know one end of a car engine from the other, and I would hate to be disrespected for it... it just isn't my thing, and conversely, if cars are your thing, but forum software isn't.. then you shouldn't have to feel like an idiot or be made to look like one if it takes a while to "get it" ... also another reason why FB is so popular, no one is making you feel like a fool for not knowing everything.. you can muddle through it on your own.

Like I said, it's easy to forget, or to lack empathy for the technically challenged :p

Yarr it is true, there is no underestimating the amount of hand holding some people need.. but the *up* side of that is those very people are the best members as they usually don't go elsewhere, once they get used to one kind of software, they don't like changing, or going to other sites, so if you treat them with respect and understanding that they are non-technical, they are often very loyal members :) Your forum will literally be their online home.

Heck I wouldn't know one end of a car engine from the other, and I would hate to be disrespected for it... it just isn't my thing, and conversely, if cars are your thing, but forum software isn't.. then you shouldn't have to feel like an idiot or be made to look like one if it takes a while to "get it" ... also another reason why FB is so popular, no one is making you feel like a fool for not knowing everything.. you can muddle through it on your own.

Like I said, it's easy to forget, or to lack empathy for the technically challenged :p

This is very true. I'm an experienced net user/geek, and I often subconsciously avoid forums that use vBulletin for that very reason. It's just too different, and the interface has always seemed less intuitive to me. Hopefully XenForo takes over those!

Top Bottom