[Reply]-link need to be more prominent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grover

Do you find yourself sometimes clicking 'Report' instead of 'Reply' when you want to reply on a thread here at xenForo? I do.

Report, Like, Reply.

Those are the 3 links presented next to each other at the right corner of the posting.

I would find it more logical I think that 'Reply' comes first. Because you will need this the most.

Reply, Like, Report.

Furthermore, I also think that the Reply link needs to be made more prominent or easier to distinguish somehow between the Like and Report links.

Upvote 4
I will probably change it (so long as I can) on my own forums though, as I have seen n00b's totally unable to work out how to reply without quoting someone >_< - Truly I have!!!
Same here. I'll be changing it as well. Nested quoting is enabled on my forum (don't ask) and people just continue clicking 'reply' next to the posts. Can you imagine what the posts at the bottom af a page look like? Every morning I manually edit all posts that have unnecessary quotes. Maybe I should create a pop-up when people click 'reply': "Do you want to quote this message in your reply?" and if they click 'Yes' ask them "Are you sure?" and continue asking "Are you sure?" until they click no.

Well fair 'nuff it's your baby, no harm in asking :D I will probably change it (so long as I can) on my own forums though, as I have seen n00b's totally unable to work out how to reply without quoting someone >_< - Truly I have!!!
It's just a phrase, so that should be very easy :)

I think I prefer the way the Reply/Like links are currently; undecided on report.

I had exactly the same feeling (because somehow seeing -as a user- only the [reply] link next to the light grey username + time made that area a bit less 'clean' then before... but this is nitpicking I guess and just needs a bit time to get accustomed to, cause it's new) about the moved report. .... Until I saw this explanation:

Also bear in mind the moderator view:

View attachment 1232

As a normal user seeing this forum I didn't realize a moderator has this look. And indeed, the solution of putting 'report' there as well is really good, because it is so logical -as you can see in the screenshot. I realized: how many times do our users report something? It's different for everybody ofcourse, but I can tell you on my board almost none of my members reports anything. It is mostly the Moderators that report something to ... well... themselves ;) / the whole Staff team they are a part of. So, if Moderators use this function the most, isn't it more then logical to put that link right there where all the other Moderator-links/options reside on a posting? (At least this works for my particular site the best). Great thinking... I am gonna to try and see how it all works out (/note to self: apply for XenForo External Promotion Team job offer)

And... another thing is that this solution also solves the 'issue' some people had with the like-link not prominent enough:

I don't display the horrendous ;) signatures anymore for my own viewing pleasure, but anyway... I think with Kier's improvements (here and here), ALSO this 'issue' with the like-link not prominent enough for some people (I myself didn't have a problem with it at all) is solved. Look... the 'like' link is not 'buried' anymore between 'Report' 'Like' 'Reply'. It is now all the way to the right, right next to the only other link there: 'Reply'. This gives the 'Like' automatically a more prominent place.

The re-ordering of the links solved also this 'issue', IMHO.

I like this way better. All the controls for the post in general are on the left Edit Delete Report and all the controls for the content itself is on the right Like Reply. I can see the logic here :)

I agree with Report to the side of edit/del/mod but I liked the Reply better on the extreme right. Now you have to navigate your mouse pointer between two less important links, while when Reply was on the right you can just go from scrollbar to Reply with one simple move. But hey we can all change this pretty easily.

Today we are trying Like ... Reply instead of Reply ... Like. Let's see how we get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom