[Reply]-link need to be more prominent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grover

Do you find yourself sometimes clicking 'Report' instead of 'Reply' when you want to reply on a thread here at xenForo? I do.

Report, Like, Reply.

Those are the 3 links presented next to each other at the right corner of the posting.

I would find it more logical I think that 'Reply' comes first. Because you will need this the most.

Reply, Like, Report.

Furthermore, I also think that the Reply link needs to be made more prominent or easier to distinguish somehow between the Like and Report links.

Upvote 4
FWIW, I like the current location, however I would move the report link to a different location myself, unless you want lots of accidental reports to deal with. It is in a very prominent spot currently, I think as it is something you have to "think" about, it should be on the left where Edit Delete are if it is your own post.

One thing I would like to see is "reply" changed to "quote" I have seen many people new to forums accidently quote when they just wanted to reply to the thread in general... thus creating confusion. But so long as this is changeable within a language file I am not too fussed if it is done by default, just would like the option to be there.

I like how they are text links, :)

However, font-weight:bold; around the Reply is a customization I will apply to my site :)

I can see that this is going to end up another thread where everyone has an opinion and the discussion rumbles on for dozens of posts without a concensus...

However, I have had a play with an alternative arrangement and in my opinion the biggest problem was the presence of the Report link together with Like and Reply. I have therefore moved Report over the the left link group, after the post permalink and Edit Delete links. The theory behind this is that the left link group contains controls that adjust or remove the content, or request that it be adjusted. The right link group contains links that allow you to add your own content with relation to this item.

I tried swapping Like and Reply into Reply Like, but my initial reaction to the change was not favourable, as my eye tends to scan inwards from the right-margin for the end-of -post links and I prefer to have the Reply link always in the same location (which it is not, if the Like link is not present), so I have left it as Like Reply for the time being. Let's see how we get on with this.

Having said that... now I'm changing my mind on Like Reply. I'll swap them and give that a try for a while.

I can see that this is going to end up another thread where everyone has an opinion and the discussion rumbles on for dozens of posts without a concensus...

However, I have had a play with an alternative arrangement and in my opinion the biggest problem was the presence of the Report link together with Like and Reply. I have therefore moved Report over the the left link group, after the post permalink and Edit Delete links. The theory behind this is that the left link group contains controls that adjust or remove the content, or request that it be adjusted. The right link group contains links that allow you to add your own content with relation to this item.

I tried swapping Like and Reply into Reply Like, but my initial reaction to the change was not favourable, as my eye tends to scan inwards from the right-margin for the end-of -post links and I prefer to have the Reply link always in the same location (which it is not, if the Like link is not present), so I have left it as Like Reply for the time being. Let's see how we get on with this.

Ooo this swap will require some getting used to. My only fear about moving the report link to the left is that its less visable now although I do understand the thought behind it.

Having said that... now I'm changing my mind on Like Reply. I'll swap them and give that a try for a while.

sort-order "Like, Reply" would be better I guess, as "Reply" also is at the very right on my own posts (as there is no "Like" on my own posts). "Reply" should always be at the very right.

Anyway, this is not that important and not a big deal to customize.

Better focus on fixing real bugs and get the software released as soon as possible.

The position of the Report link makes perfect sense to me.

It's just this business of having the most used links towards the centre of the screen I don't like.

I got into it with someone on vB about their tendency to slap a graphic on every little damn thing, to the point where instead of looking and seeing "multi-quote, quote, etc." you have to decipher the logo or hover over it (or just say to yourself "screw it" and don't reply)... they claimed that people need these visual cues, which is idiotic: if you're posting on a forum, you can probably read the word REPLY.

So to make a long story short: I don't care what's done with these links so long as they remain text links. Rearrange them, make them different colors, whatever ... but don't make me have to go scavenger-hunting through the code to find out how to change some fussy little mystery graphic.

But, I haven't had any trouble with it being on the right side at all.

^This. Fully agreed (except your last sentence ;)).

I have therefore moved Report over the the left link group, after the post permalink and Edit Delete links.

Excellent! *cough*as I suggested that just above *cough*

Much better... now if we can just get "reply" to be changed to "quote"
whistling.gif

How about (look at screenshot). I honestly feel the post number (#number) needs to be situated to the far right (bottom) and if the edit, delete report is shifted to the top left the new image could be placed in the right along the same line as edit, report etc?

Attachments

• postbit-arrangement.webp
    postbit-arrangement.webp
    48.6 KB · Views: 15
I'm not planning to make that change - I think Reply is a much more universal term. The fact that it also quotes the message is a bonus to the action, rather than the fundamental action itself.

Well fair 'nuff it's your baby, no harm in asking :D I will probably change it (so long as I can) on my own forums though, as I have seen n00b's totally unable to work out how to reply without quoting someone >_< - Truly I have!!!

Hi Kier,

I want to thank you for taking this suggestion into consideration like this and thinking along with us in this way. It makes the solution even better (your point of being the combination of 3 links) then I myself could have come up with :). This is what I so much appreciate on these forums: we as (potential) customer share our vision and you guys come up with a solution that is even an improvement over our own suggestions. The solution that is presented now (Report on left side and [Reply] [Link] in that order on the right is really good, I think . The [Reply] as first option (this was the most important issue for me) is now in line with [Post Reply] [Upload a File] [More Options...] in the QuickReply... in the overall scheme of things this works really the best. In my opinion... :).

Really a great improvement, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom